• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] The Last of Us Part II – E3 2018 Gameplay Reveal

Kadayi

Banned
Impressive video, but I find it bizarre that they put so much fidelity into the environments, only to then use repeat character models when it comes to the NPC opponents.

VulcanRaven

The gameplay looks amazing. I'm glad that we play as Ellie but I hope we get to play as Joel at some point. Like in the first game but Ellie is the main character. I like the HUD but it could be a little bigger.

Last edited:

nowhat

Is Joel still in the game? I know that early footage often gets scrapped or reworked.
Copypasta from reddit:

New traversal and prone move-sets.
Combat has increased emphasis on tension, interactivity and realism.
Enemy AI references each other by name, and constantly communicates with each other.
Two different timelines explored in TLOU2.
New dodge/evade mechanic is a core part of combat and melee.
You now have a jump button.
Far more creative and emergent moments in combat thanks to big increase in breadth of options.
Improved stealth mechanics, including crawl, prone, squeezing into tighter gaps, underneath vehicles etc.
Expanded infected enemies and whole new classes.
You're not automatically fully hidden in grass. Extent of your visibility depends on height & density of foliage.
Much more verticality in combat scenarios now. She needs more routes and ways to engage.
Survival aspects are still a focus.
Different ammo types (eg explosive arrows) now. Each ammo type fulfills a particular strategy niche.
Animation system is completely overhauled so everything is even more realistic and transitions are seamless.
Wide linear combat environments are being expanded to be even larger and broader.
AI system massively improved for added realism.
No more auto AI telepathic awareness of you once spotted. They whistle to and actually communicate with each other.
Referred to as systemic check-ins of AI information. They pass information to each other more realistically to let new groups and enemies know of the unfolding situation or of your position.
Enemy awareness and ability to seek player out improved.
You can now craft different ammo and arrow types.
Expanding on the infected types and there will be new classes in the game.
Demo is set 4 years after the events of TLOU, in Jackson.
Seraphite is a religious cultish group, but they will not be black and white. Motivations explored.
Joel is somewhere out there in Jackson.
They use more advanced facial camera capture and mo-cap now, more advanced than they had with Uncharted 4.
Lots of new facial animation tech. More nuances of the face, creases, folds, build up of skin etc.
Eyeball tech also re-worked, now includes internal refractions, reflections and so on.
Source is the E3 Colliseum presentation for The Last of Us Part II:

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Pluses
- I like how the demo looked like real gameplay, they got spotted and you get to see how the AI reacts and flanks Ellie.
- Looks amazing

Minuses
- I was interested in seeing some infected enemies, clickers, etc.

nowhat

Wait, is there a release date for this and Days Gone ? Same goes for Fallout 76' I looked to the very end of trailers but nada.
Days Gone releases in February 2019, don't remember the exact date. No release date for this yet, my guess is mid-2019 at the earliest.

xviper

apparently there is still people fooled by the trailer, before you get overhyped, just watch the first few gameplay trailers of TLOU 1 and see how much bullshit there was in it

not saying the whole thing was fake like Alien colonial marines, i'm just saying the impressive parts are fake and scripted and most likely won't happen in the full game unless it's just one time in a scripted encounter

surely the game will be amazing like the first, but it will not be exactly as shown in the "Gameplay" Trailer

the funny thing is that many people don't want to admit the bullshit that was in TLOU 1 "Gameplay" trailers, just shows you how much loyal these fans are and how much Overrated the game was, i expect the same thing with the sequel

VulcanRaven

the funny thing is that many people don't want to admit the bullshit that was in TLOU 1 "Gameplay" trailers, just shows you how much loyal these fans are and how much Overrated the game was, i expect the same thing with the sequel
Or maybe people like the game. Even if the demos were fake it doesn't mean that the game is bad.

Copypasta from reddit:
They use more advanced facial camera capture and mo-cap now, more advanced than they had with Uncharted 4.
Lots of new facial animation tech. More nuances of the face, creases, folds, build up of skin etc.
Eyeball tech also re-worked, now includes internal refractions, reflections and so on.
So they are now using motion capture for faces. Didn't they do all by hand before?

Last edited:

julio_grr

I agree with that, in part, but from his perspective, he does the right thing.
Doesn't all vilains think they are doing the right thing, from their perspective ?!

I've never seen a more romantic scene in any medium than the one displayed in that trailer. Absolutely beautiful.
Everybody loving this scene seems to be forgetting it takes two people to make a kiss. Dina, the center of the attention, was apparently dating Jesse (Ellie's friend) just two weeks before. And suddenly she kisses Ellie in front of everyone.
I'm sorry to say that but this is poorly written teenage romance.
I do hope the whole story is not Ellie going full revenge because her teenage crush was murdered.

nowhat

So they are now using motion capture for faces. Didn't they do all by hand before?
Up until the original TLoU there was no facial capture, everything was done by hand. Which, while being able to look great with enough talented people and time, obviously is a very laborious process. In UC4 Naughty Dog used facial capture for the first time, but still the results were finetuned by hand. By the sound of it, they've refined the process even more, but I reckon some manual work is still required, I don't think were still nowhere near of having perfect facial capture automatically (see: ME:A).

JLMC469

Banned
Surprised people think it’s fake, did they not play the first game? Scripting/AI is always crazy in these games.

That’s certainly good press for ND though.

I thought the animation in The Lat of Us was great but the AI was average.

This one looks more organic. Doubt it’s fake, don’t know if it will play that “smooth” though.

There’s always some extra polish and scripting in E3 presentations.

Last edited:

vpance

I thought the animation in The Lat of Us was great but the AI was average.

This one looks more organic. Doubt it’s fake, don’t know if it will play that “smooth” though.

There’s always some extra polish and scripting in E3 presentations.

I think it's all real. They just played it in a cinematic way. On the other end of the spectrum some people will try to play it like CoD and circle strafe the baddies, and you wouldn't see those fancy encounters.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Surprised people think it’s fake, did they not play the first game? Scripting/AI is always crazy in these games.

That’s certainly good press for ND though.

You mean TLOU1 E3 case where they scripted whole demo like TLOU2 E3 "gameplay" and later on people proved that great part of that was fake ?

There is difference between adding something to not make demo boring and straight up lying about features you have in game. TLOU1 E3 demo led you to believe that enemies really had advanced AI and reacted dynamically to events, begging not to shot them when they are flat on ground, Ellie helping you out in tight moments and so on.
What you had in released game was same damn basic AI like in every other game.
Do i need to remind you people what was "most amazing about" TLOU1 E3 "gameplay ?. AI, how enemies reacted and how everything felt "real" as if you were fighting with real thinking people.

So far they commented they have improved AI system but seeying is believing. I am too old and i watched to many "gameplay" trailers to be fooled by pretty words. I don't have problem with saying "i was wrong" IF they actually have this amazing AI in game. But as far as my gaming experience goes NONE of games so far released in 20 years have AI at level of this demo AND previously there were caught faking their gameplay.

Last edited:
I didn’t need any convincing. I’m in, I’m all in.
679443.jpg

bitbydeath

You mean TLOU1 E3 case where they scripted whole demo like TLOU2 E3 "gameplay" and later on people proved that great part of that was fake ?

There is difference between adding something to not make demo boring and straight up lying about features you have in game. TLOU1 E3 demo led you to believe that enemies really had advanced AI and reacted dynamically to events, begging not to shot them when they are flat on ground, Ellie helping you out in tight moments and so on.
Do i need to remind you people what was "most amazing about" TLOU1 E3 "gameplay ?. AI, how enemies reacted and how everything felt "real" as if you were fighting with real thinking people.

So far they commented they have improved AI system but seeying is believing. I am too old and i watched to many "gameplay" trailers to be fooled by pretty words. I don't have problem with saying "i was wrong" IF they actually have this amazing AI in game. But as far as my gaming experience goes NONE of games so far released in 20 years have AI at level of this demo AND previously there were caught faking their gameplay.

Begging

images

Can’t find the flanking gif, there was one where Joel was in a shootout and someone grabs him smashing his head onto the cover he’s hiding behind.

Ellie helped out all the time too. Nothing was ‘fake’. It was all in the final game.

Geki-D

Banned
Begging

images

Can’t find the flanking gif, there was one where Joel was in a shootout and someone grabs him smashing his head onto the cover he’s hiding behind.

Ellie helped out all the time too. Nothing was ‘fake’. It was all in the final game.
Some of the stuff was in but there was quite the difference between the E3 demo and the final game. That said there's a difference between something that's scripted with stuff that's not possible and something that's scripted so that the gameplay isn't boring.

The LOU2 footage is scripted but I'm not seeing anything that looks crazy impossible in terms of gameplay. It's scripted to show off a coherent experience.

vpance

Some of the stuff was in but there was quite the difference between the E3 demo and the final game. That said there's a difference between something that's scripted with stuff that's not possible and something that's scripted so that the gameplay isn't boring.

The LOU2 footage is scripted but I'm not seeing anything that looks crazy impossible in terms of gameplay. It's scripted to show off a coherent experience.

There's no script. Go watch the panel video.

Let's just call it emergent scripted actions. At some point you just call it AI bc AI is nothing but a ton of yes/no calcs to do action x or y.

xviper

i 100% agree with every word you said

i just want to remind people of this
Blank+_70d21119c4a1bc1a2cb6bec03349339f.gif

i'm sorry i couldn't find the whole gif except for this one but it gets the point proven

and i'm sure no matter what, you will still see people defending ND and Sony, they have loyal fans, they turned an action\adventure game into a walking\climbing simulator and yet you still see people calling it a masterpiece and the best in the series

LordPezix

Everybody loving this scene seems to be forgetting it takes two people to make a kiss. Dina, the center of the attention, was apparently dating Jesse (Ellie's friend) just two weeks before. And suddenly she kisses Ellie in front of everyone. I'm sorry to say that but this is poorly written teenage romance. I do hope the whole story is not Ellie going full revenge because her teenage crush was murdered.

YOUR HATE HAS NO POWER HERE!!!!!!!!!!

julio_grr

YOUR HATE HAS NO POWER HERE!!!!!!!!!!
I'm really having a hard time finding out where you see hate in my post ?! I'm analyzing the narrative of the scene, no more. So where do you see hate ?

(On a side note, I'm French, so my choice of words may be a little off, but I hope you see my point)

LordPezix

I'm really having a hard time finding out where you see hate in my post ?! I'm analyzing the narrative of the scene, no more. So where do you see hate ?

(On a side note, I'm French, so my choice of words may be a little off, but I hope you see my point)

It was a cheeky jest my friend. I liked it and you said it was a poorly written teenage romance which must mean I like poorly written teenage romance which makes you a meanie lol

julio_grr

Oh ok, there's no wrong in liking teenage romance haha :)
I do hope we get to see more of the relationship between Dina, Jesse an Ellie in the final game. I have faith in ND.

7he Talon

I still can't see how people think this is overly scripted. The first Last of Us and Uncharted 4 and some pretty phenomenal dynamic gameplay like we see in the trailer. While I don't think the game will play exactly like that trailer, it will be pretty close.

Dontero

Banned
but I'm not seeing anything that looks crazy impossible in terms of gameplay. It's scripted to show off a coherent experience.

You mean you can't see AI don't make any single mistake, perfectly following ellie after she attemps to escape being just meters behind her instead of chosing to hide behind cover which by itself is very random thing to do (ellie escape not them going behind cover). Then upon reaching ellie place perfectly coordinating with eatch other and so on ?

I have been gaming for 20 years. Such AI doesn't exist yet to make such rational choices in time of so many possibilities AND your own actions that give you shitload of possibilities. And we are not talking here about some stupid game AI. We are talking here about complex behavior that can properly reason and formulate battle plan based on scant clues. Such AI doesn't even exist in research institutes as well.

So this lead us to two scenarios:
- Either they basically run this scenario few milion times and they got one good looking scenario where their AI which probably is standard AI somehow by chance made itself look good and they used it as footage
- OR entire thing after enemy finding out Ellie after she saw dudes butchering other guy is COMPLETELY scripted which means it isn't any different than cinematic just without cinematic camera.

AND like i said before they were caught on their bullshit.

I don't question their abilities to make scripted scenes, nor great melee combat, great gunplay and so many other things because those things exist in realm of possibility. AI they shown doesn't, which means whole thing is entirely scripted. If they did actually have such amazing AI then hats off to them. Problem here is that they were caught lying already with TLOU1 and i will be extra critical of their "gameplay" trailers when i see them.

For example i had nothing on their U4 gameplay trailers, they were heavily scripted but at least those were scripts meant as part of gameplay rather than faking player gameplay that will never happen.

TLOU1 despite bullshit was good game and i have no doubt TLOU2 also will be but that doesn't mean i should just see bullshit and don't say anything. Maybe they actually do indeed have amazing AI system that is leaps and bounds better than anything else in last 20 years of gaming but with TLOU1 fiasco they don't have creditibility to trust them at face value.

What is more important this issue isn't anything new. We had such discussion like 5-7 years ago in broader subject and i think it was right after TLOU1 fiasco which was then coupled with some other game (i think Assasin Creed scripted demo) and generally speaking shitload of people and journos wrote extensively that shitload of devs simply lie.

Answer to that next year was way more actual on stage gameplay demos which was possitively received by both people and press and became defacto standard from then on. Because on stage demo with real person proves what you see at least is possible.

Last edited:

LordPezix

You mean you can't see AI don't make any single mistake, perfectly following ellie after she attemps to escape being just meters behind her instead of chosing to hide behind cover which by itself is very random thing to do (ellie escape not them going behind cover). Then upon reaching ellie place perfectly coordinating with eatch other and so on ?

I have been gaming for 20 years. Such AI doesn't exist yet to make such rational choices in time of so many possibilities AND your own actions that give you shitload of possibilities. And we are not talking here about some stupid game AI. We are talking here about complex behavior that can properly reason and formulate battle plan based on scant clues. Such AI doesn't even exist in research institutes as well.

- Either they basically run this scenario few milion times and they got one good looking scenario where their AI which probably is standard AI somehow by chance made itself look good and they used it as footage
- OR entire thing after enemy finding out Ellie after she saw dudes butchering other guy is COMPLETELY scripted which means it isn't any different than cinematic just without cinematic camera.

I don't question their abilities to make scripted scenes, nor great melee combat, great gunplay and so many other things because those things exist in realm of possibility. AI they shown doesn't, which means whole thing is entirely scripted. If they did actually have such amazing AI then hats off to them. Problem here is that they were caught lying already with TLOU1 and i will be extra critical of their "gameplay" trailers when i see them.

For example i had nothing on their U4 gameplay trailers, they were heavily scripted but at least those were scripts meant as part of gameplay rather than faking player gameplay that will never happen.

TLOU1 despite bullshit was good game and i have no doubt TLOU2 also will be but that doesn't mean i should just see bullshit and don't say anything. Maybe they actually do indeed have amazing AI system that is leaps and bounds better than anything else in last 20 years of gaming but with TLOU1 fiasco they don't have creditibility to trust them at face value.

What is more important this issue isn't anything new. We had such discussion like 5-7 years ago in broader subject and i think it was right after TLOU1 fiasco which was then coupled with some other game (i think Assasin Creed scripted demo) and generally speaking shitload of people and journos wrote extensively that shitload of devs simply lie.

Answer to that next year was way more actual on stage gameplay demos which was possitively received by both people and press and became defacto standard from then on. Because on stage demo with real person proves what you see at least is possible.

Not bad, not bad at all.

I can get behind all of this.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

I could meet you half way with this but there are moments in the demo that definitely (at least to me) show it's actual gameplay, but then there are moments that seemed to work out a little too perfectly. First of all, take into consideration we never saw a stealth take down, something I'm certain fans of the series would have like to have seen.

There was one moment though and that was when Ellie climbed the van in order to vault up on the next floor. We see one enemy at that point and he's walking away from Ellie. Ellie begins to creep up on that enemy, slowly and deliberately, edging forward for that stealth kill. But it's cut short and who ever is playing panics and tries a hurried bow shot, which misses. I'm convinced that was meant to be the stealth moment but it went wrong. To back that up, the guy who eventually drops down and starts shooting at Ellie could still have been there and therefore would still have given the player the opportunity to run, jump down and hide in the long grass. The scripted scene, if that's what it was, would not have suffered from the perfect stealth kill. One could argue it would have improved it.

The second moment was when Ellie was caught and pulled from beneath the vehicle. She shot the guy three times, ran to a car and took out the next guy in two shots. This left one bullet. Someone caught her attention to the right and she swings and shoots, missing. ... We know that one bullet does not take down an enemy if it's not a head shot so a strike to the body would have been more dramatic and still allowed for the arrow shot.

Now onto the moment that worked out a little too perfectly. Having jumped down, ran, grabbed the bottle and thrown it at the enemy, we see Ellie grab him. On swinging him around to face her pursuers, an arrow strikes and kills that enemy and Ellie runs again. If it wasn't scripted then it was fortuitous. I'm also certain Ellie isn't going to pull every arrow from a body in the way she did it here. Perhaps there are 'spot' animations, depending on locations? Who knows.

I watched a recent interview in which ND spoke of the improved AI and they mentioned a new technique they were using to create the illusion the enemies were alive. They react slightly differently depending on positioning and the AI varies those animations to keep them fresh. I'm not saying some of this isn't scripted but I'm also not going to doubt ND could pull this off either.

Last edited:

TimFL

People comparing this to the TLOU E3 situation: Naughty dog talked in length about cut content from TLOU. They, for one, had more advanced AI and even infected AI in the MP portion but had to cut it cause it wouldn‘t run on the console.
I din‘t think they have the same issue on the PS4 Pro nowadays. Or at least make the same mistakes.

People comparing this to the TLOU E3 situation: Naughty dog talked in length about cut content from TLOU. They, for one, had more advanced AI and even infected AI in the MP portion but had to cut it cause it wouldn‘t run on the console.
I din‘t think they have the same issue on the PS4 Pro nowadays. Or at least make the same mistakes.

Do you own a Pro? Cause, I sure don't. I'm fine with graphics being superior on Pro, but the AI, I consider a core part of the gameplay.
If it's better on Pro, then I'm going to be concerned. I don't mind a downgrade in resolution, but I want that same AI I saw in the trailers, otehrwise what's the point? I guess I could hang onto the game for when PS5 comes out, but, damn. We didn't have this concern with PS3. Granted, PS3 didn't have a Pro, but that's just what I mean.

To be honest, I never gave a shit about the Pro advantages till now. I want that AI!

TimFL

Do you own a Pro? Cause, I sure don't. I'm fine with graphics being superior on Pro, but the AI, I consider a core part of the gameplay.
If it's better on Pro, then I'm going to be concerned. I don't mind a downgrade in resolution, but I want that same AI I saw in the trailers, otehrwise what's the point? I guess I could hang onto the game for when PS5 comes out, but, damn. We didn't have this concern with PS3. Granted, PS3 didn't have a Pro, but that's just what I mean.

To be honest, I never gave a shit about the Pro advantages till now. I want that AI!
My fault for mentioning Pro, it will of course run the same on the vanilla one (minus a few graphical things). It was more or less aimed at saying „look at the power we have at our disposal now“. AI is CPU bound anyways and the Pro barely got anything on the vanilla in that regard, still a tablet CPU.

My fault for mentioning Pro, it will of course run the same on the vanilla one (minus a few graphical things). It was more or less aimed at saying „look at the power we have at our disposal now“. AI is CPU bound anyways and the Pro barely got anything on the vanilla in that regard, still a tablet CPU.

I hear you there. I just got alarmed by your post because it made me realize... "Are we getting this amazing AI on the vanilla?!" I was interested in a Pro up until maybe 2 months ago, when I keep seeing stuff about PS5.. turns me off toward the Pro and makes me want a PS5 more.
I'd rather drop cash 'I don't have' on a PS5 than a Pro.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

bitbydeath

Top Bottom