• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Soulcalibur VI Coming October 19, Collector's Edition Up

DryvBy

Last edited:

Meriokingston

Neo Member
Fighting games are back!.....again! With this, DBFZ and DoA 6, I'll have more than enough to play while I wait for Mortal Kombat 11.

Gander

Banned
We'll see, I don't know why Soul Calibur 4 was so magically successful, maybe it was just the timing or the options but they have not recaptured that magic yet.

I just this second watched some gameplay vids and couldn't help but think it looked bloody awful :(

What's with the blurry backgrounds?

Bardiche

Looks like I'll be going for the Deluxe Edition since the Collector's Edition does not have the season pass, and I couldn't care less about a Sophitia figure. I have a feeling that zanbatou bae, Mina, will not be included in the initial roster, so hopefully she'll be one of the first DLC.

Yet another incredibly overpriced LE. Also the UK LE actually includes the season pass which makes it more bs.

Also Sophitia is a awful choice for a LE figure. She's not unpopular, but Namco themselves have said Ivy and Taki are the most popular girls and top 5 most popular characters, and Taki has the whole not in SCV backlash they got they should be trying to make up for. I've noticed Namco seem to fail when it comes to understanding character popularity, and smart business with characters.

The Shepard

We'll see, I don't know why Soul Calibur 4 was so magically successful, maybe it was just the timing or the options but they have not recaptured that magic yet.

There's only really been one game since then.. That one also had darth vader and yoda in it. This has got the Geralt in so it's gonna sell loads just for having that cool geezer in it. Day one for me, second favourite fighter after tekken.

Also am I the only one to prefer number 3s single player mode out of all of them. Can't remember what it was called but do remember playing it to completion and really liking it. Think you created your own player.

Last edited:

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
wow, $100 for the deluxe. Fortunate it comes with the season pass, but that's a lot to cough up for a metal case and the game. Good thing I still got GCU baby.

Whitecrow

Banned
I wish collector's edition had a new game engine for that price. It's been a long time since a lot of other engines bring more beautiful graphics than U4.

Mr Branding

Hi Gaf. First post here. Why is this game not talked about here?
This and Rdr are my most awaited games this year and this looks like it plays a whole bunch better than the last iterations.
The only minus so far is that there are too few stages. Hope they are keeping some hidden or something...
Also, Talim just got announced, so yay.
If there is a newer topic, sorry.

Hi Gaf. First post here. Why is this game not talked about here?
This and Rdr are my most awaited games this year and this looks like it plays a whole bunch better than the last iterations.
The only minus so far is that there are too few stages. Hope they are keeping some hidden or something...
Also, Talim just got announced, so yay.
If there is a newer topic, sorry.

Man, my favorite will always be Soul Calibur 2. I owned the ps2 and gamecube versions due to the exclusive characters. Spawn for Xbox was cool too but I never had that console. I never tried V because the new characters didnt appeal to me. but this one? It's great. BTW, anyone know if this is a prequel? Mitsurugi looks pretty young...

Mr Branding

My main will always be Yoshimitsu.
Also , while I love sc2, the third game really sold me on the franchise. I hope the arcade mode in this new one is comparable to that game.
The one thing which I hope returns from sc2 is team battle mode

Last edited:

xviper

never liked DoA. Will wait for SC VI.
Besides Hayabusa (which is already from another franchise) , all the fighters seemed generic in DoA and the reliance on combos makes it a no go for me.
what makes me love DoA is the easy gameplay, easy combos, and the awesome and satisfying combat

my favorite fighting game is Tekken but if you fight against a pro you will get your ass kicked, in DoA you can fight a pro and can still hold yourself and may win

i agree with you on the fighters being generic point, they look the same with different hair

Kreydo

I just this second watched some gameplay vids and couldn't help but think it looked bloody awful :(

What's with the blurry backgrounds?
I'm like you, I don't understand how the fans could actually be pleased...

I mean the characters 3D asset are the same from the previous Soul Calibur 4 which is almost 10 years old, and really look dated during some close up, specialy their "polygoned" arms.
The animation are exactly the same from SC4 then SC5, frame by frame, they don't have différent stance when moving backward or when they dash on sides, they still have that stick in their ass since 2002.
The stage are blurred and empty, also c'mon its the 6 game... Can we have something new about those arena instead of that boring out of the ring...?
The game focus on flashy cheap effect, sparkle and rainbows, instead of focusing on some stylish movement.
Should I talk about all the character unexpressive face and their doll empty gaze?

You may think I'm a hater, but no I posess all the Soul Calibur until the 4, but the serie don't evolve in the right direction for me.
I'm all for the game to be more accessible, (even if it was already the case) but can we have some real art design, and in depth gameplay, please?

Last edited:

Mr Branding

I'm like you, I don't understand how the fans could actually be pleased...

I mean the characters 3D asset are the same from the previous Soul Calibur 4 which is almost 10 years old, and really look dated during some close up, specialy their "polygoned" arms.
The animation are exactly the same from SC4 then SC5, frame by frame, they don't have différent stance when moving backward or when they dash on sides, they still have that stick in their ass since 2002.
The stage are blurred and empty, also c'mon its the 6 game... Can we have something new about those arena instead of that boring out of the ring...?
The game focus on flashy cheap effect, sparkle and rainbows, instead of focusing on some stylish movement.
Should I talk about all the character unexpressive face and their doll empty gaze?

You may think I'm a hater, but no I posess all the Soul Calibur until the 4, but the serie don't evolve in the right direction for me.
I'm all for the game to be more accessible, (even if it was already the case) but can we have some real art design, and in depth gameplay, please?

I'm a fan since the first game and I'm pleased.
I see these complaints often mentioned regarding this game but I feel some of you are taking the tech behind the game for granted. The first game was such a leap forward that it took a while for the rest of 3d fighters to play catch up and even now, in terms of animation and fluidity I feel it's above VF, Doa or Tekken, which to me were always jerky in motion.
I think some gamers expected too big a leap for a franchise that was in a coma for a good 5 years. I also think this doesn't have the budget some of you think it has so for what it does, it looks great imo.
The animation is on purpose. It looks good but it must play great, it must prioritise frames because at the end of the day it's not ballet, it's a competitive fighting game.
The arenas are the big minus of the game, I'll give you that, but not because they're empty or whatnot, but because they are 11, the lowest count so far. As for gimmicks, ring out is a staple of the game, why would they remove it? It also shows you didn't play past 4 since 4 had those extendable arenas, 5 had those multi-tier arenas and this one has arenas with different times of day settings or dynamics.
You might be in the minority regarding the faces of the characters. I really don't care since I've said it before, it's a competitive fighting game and the gameplay should be ace before everything else, which this game seems to have.
From what you're saying it seems to me you want something else because, the previews and video material so far indicates this to be the most in-depth entry gameplay wise: every character is expanded upon and has different unique attributes. For example Yoshimitsu in every game can sacrifice chunks of his life but can also meditate and gain life back which is ok as a mechanic, but in sc vi, he sacrifices life but meditation gives him meter which is a better meta. In-depth unique aspects like these are available for every character, Zas can stop time, etc..
What they are making accessible is triggering super moves, which is not a bad thing. You're making it sound like the game will be scrub central but in all honesty I feel it will have long legs in the fgc scene. There have already been a couple of small tournaments for it so there's also that.
Here's one:

Last edited:

Kreydo

I was more critisim about that feeling of recycled content.
However I disagree with you about animation, SFV showed that you can have top notch animation with 3 frame movement on a 3D game.
To me Soul Calibur VI is a lazy game but it's probably because of their low budget(after SCV failure), I can't force myself to pay for a "new" game that reuse asset from a 10 years old game that I already own.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

I was more critisim about that feeling of recycled content.
However I disagree with you about animation, SFV showed that you can have top notch animation with 3 frame movement on a 3D game.
To me Soul Calibur VI is a lazy game but it's probably because of their low budget(after SCV failure), I can't force myself to pay for a "new" game that reuse asset from a 10 years old game that I already own.

Fair enough, even tho I'm sorry to burst your bubble but most games recycle content. You gave the worst possible example of a game that does not with SFV.
To say the game is "lazy" is a bit disrespectful to the team working on it, but I'm not going to change your opinion so to each his own I guess.

Hanon

Banned
Does this one take place after 5, or an alternate universe apart from 5? i don't see Sophitia's children.

never liked DoA. Will wait for SC VI.
Besides Hayabusa (which is already from another franchise) , all the fighters seemed generic in DoA and the reliance on combos makes it a no go for me.

From what i’ve experienced, virtually all fighting games have an over reliance on combos. Look at games like marvel, most 2d fighters and tekken tag 2 for example.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why they thought it was a good idea to blur the whole fucking background. If that wasn't enough, graphics aren't that great either. Game looks really poor.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yet another incredibly overpriced LE. Also the UK LE actually includes the season pass which makes it more bs.

Also Sophitia is a awful choice for a LE figure. She's not unpopular, but Namco themselves have said Ivy and Taki are the most popular girls and top 5 most popular characters, and Taki has the whole not in SCV backlash they got they should be trying to make up for. I've noticed Namco seem to fail when it comes to understanding character popularity, and smart business with characters.
Yup I would have gone for the cougar version myself.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Does this one take place after 5, or an alternate universe apart from 5? i don't see Sophitia's children.
Reboot considering Sophitia is alive and Taki isn't old.

Mr Branding

From what i’ve experienced, virtually all fighting games have an over reliance on combos. Look at games like marvel, most 2d fighters and tekken tag 2 for example.

True, that’s why I prefer SC to everything else. Because it’s combos are 2-3 hits at a maximum and it is more based on spacing and reads. Samsho is another fighter I like because it’s also not combo centric but based on footsies

Combos are fun to pull off and spectate though. If there were more 5-ish hit combos in SC games, I think they'd be better for it.

Mr Branding

I'm not saying combos aren't fun. Sure, they are, especially on streams/esports but most fighters rely on it so there must be a "market" for other types of fighters.
I enjoy SC so much because it's more about mindgames, and even if you screw up a 3 hit combo, you can still come back with intelligent blocks and counters.
In MKX or Tekken, etc. it's all about who knows the longest combo/juggle, or who drops it first and I'm not into that. It turns a chess-like mind game into a robotic memory test.
I repeat, I see the appeal of combos, but there must be at least a couple of alternatives that don't rely on them.

Espada

Combos are fun to pull off and spectate though. If there were more 5-ish hit combos in SC games, I think they'd be better for it.
Combos are not fun to spectate, especially long ones that end in resets which lead back into another combo. The fighting games with the biggest viewership at EVO are things like Smash and MK, and the most popular fighting game is Smash Brothers by a ridiculous amount. Soul Calibur is doing the right thing in largely avoiding long combo strings.

It doesn't help that long strings make the other person feel helpless and necessitate the inclusion of things like GG's Burst just to free yourself.

cireza

Banned
Combos and juggles suck. They are the main reason why I came to dislike fighting games.

Shorter combos + good variety of attacks (risk VS reward) = better game. ARMS actually captured pretty well this feeling.

Also, anything that interrupts the flow of the fight sucks too. Slow-motion, camera movement and so on...

Last edited:
There are though

In past SC games, Ive been happy with available combos for characters like Setsuka, Hilde and Viola, but other characters like Xianghua, Sophitia and Mina didnt seem to have any really impressive ones. I think the game would be better if all characters had potentially cool combos.

Combos are not fun to spectate, especially long ones that end in resets which lead back into another combo. The fighting games with the biggest viewership at EVO are things like Smash and MK, and the most popular fighting game is Smash Brothers by a ridiculous amount. Soul Calibur is doing the right thing in largely avoiding long combo strings.

It doesn't help that long strings make the other person feel helpless and necessitate the inclusion of things like GG's Burst just to free yourself.

I dont like spectating Marvel combos, because they take too long. I dont like spectating Tekken ones (with the ground bounce), because it looks silly. I really DO like spectating high skill SFV combos though (Menat orbs and Guile boom loops etc), because they dont take too long, look very cool and highlight the players technical skill. Thats my preference.

Combos and juggles suck. They are the main reason why I came to dislike fighting games.

Shorter combos + good variety of attacks (risk VS reward) = better game. ARMS actually captured pretty well this feeling.

Also, anything that interrupts the flow of the fight sucks too. Slow-motion, camera movement and so on...

Gotta agree to disagree here. I like combos and cinematics (as long as they dont go on for ages).

cireza

Banned
Gotta agree to disagree here. I like combos and cinematics (as long as they dont go on for ages).
Sure. I am still stuck at the golden age of Neo Geo games, with Last Blade, KOF99, Real Bout Special and Mark of the Wolves being my references for 2D fighting games.

Soul Calibur on DC is actually one of my favortite 3D fighting games ever, as well as DoA5 and Virtua Fighter 5 FS. All games that don't have anything really intrusive in the gameplay, with the exception of the "super moves" from DoA5. By the way, DoA5 allows disabling of special effects et camera movement, which is a great feature.

Last edited:
I love soul calibur, fell in love with it on the Dreamcast and I would still say SC2 is the best one, followed by SC4
SC5 was a travesty, really disappointing, wtf were they thinking?

I will say that I'm a bit disappointed in what I'm seeing so far with SC6, ,but I've been waiting so long for the game to even be revealed that I'm hyped and confident they will milk us for DLC :( so I guess at least more content is coming lol

Juggling/combo fighting games are lame, I agree. SC was always about fluid movement, mind games with opponents, and timing. The combos available are short and just as difficult to pull off due to the hectic 8 way movement. I'm hyped for this game but I can definitely see the points of criticism, the character list is short, the stage list is short, the graphics leave something to be desired mostly for me the problem is how flashy it is. I love SC2 because there is none of this crazy "ultimate power move" meter stuff, no crash colors flashing all over the place, just sword on sword with no interruptions. They should strive for that, I'm not happy to see the ultimate combos things in the game, and really unhappy to see all of the fireworks going off everywhere, super distracting...

Mr Branding

I'm hyped for this game but I can definitely see the points of criticism, the character list is short, the stage list is short, the graphics leave something to be desired mostly for me the problem is how flashy it is. I love SC2 because there is none of this crazy "ultimate power move" meter stuff, no crash colors flashing all over the place, just sword on sword with no interruptions. They should strive for that, I'm not happy to see the ultimate combos things in the game, and really unhappy to see all of the fireworks going off everywhere, super distracting...

While you're not wrong, the game wouldn't sell without up to date mechanics and the graphical bells and whistles, let's be real.
Only the purists would buy a true, old-fashioned, no nonsense SC but it wouldn't "catch on" like they clearly want it to.
I also don't agree with the short character list criticism. Yeah, there are a few stages and it's disappointing (especially since there isn't a single asian themed one so far) but the characters are a-ok. Come to think about it, I was expecting fewer characters considering this was initially based off of the first game. For the list to be complete, at least for me, they would need one more new character.

Also, we know nothing about the single player modes when it comes to content available (hopefully a team battle mode) and we don't know the depth of the online.
We know CAS exists, but nothing revealed on that either, and I dare to hope that there at least some unlockable goodies (arenas) while playing the game.
Let's also not forget the mimics each game featured, including SC2, which are not present here. So far, only unique styles, which is a plus for Okubo in my book.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Since DoA VI makes the erroneous step of catering to people who would not buy it in the first place, SC VI is going to be my fanservice game going forward.

I'm in.

I played since Soul Blade and I'm liking this game,can't understand most of the complaints people are coming up with (I'll admit tho,I may be blinded by the happiness I'm feeling for my favorite fighting game franchise being back after being almost sure it was dead for good)

Also ,I miss Li Long.

CatCouch

I'm really looking forward to SCVI! Already preordered the collectors edition. I'm very happy the fan service is not being toned down and that esports is not a focus. Trying to make a game for esports rarely, if ever seems to go well. I'm keeping an eye on DOA VI too, but I'm not sold on the direction it's going in yet.

Been playing since SC on the Dreamcast! All the unlockable fan art was a real inspiration for me to become an artist!

Top Bottom