• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 to be rebranded as "fan, media, and influencer festival” for next year.

GAMETA

Banned
Why don't they adopt the Comic Com format? I'd like to see developers panels with live gameplay like Nintendo Treehouse's been doing, but maybe with the participation of the public... just keep the reactions attwhores out, this cancer has to stop.

-MD-

I'd never been less interested in E3 than I was last year, it was almost a total waste of time.

No big loss here.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just tune in for Treehouse Live and the Direct. Microsoft usual does something slightly okay, and Sony is doing who knows what the fuck.

Reactions: Isa

bosnianpie

Why are so many fans eager to see E3 disappear? It's like those people who haven't seen a Simpsons episode for half a decade and yet can't wait to comment how the show is shit nowdays and shouldn't be made anymore. I'm all for keeping the party going, State of Plays and Nintendo Directs don't give the same excitement.

Jubenhimer

I will say that while E3 is far from dying, it's clear that its current format is outdated. It makes sense they'd want to overhaul the event for the modern era.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Fuck that. Not going to bother going for work now. Been a nightmare since they opened it up to the public, and now it's just going to be too much of a shitshow to care.

Teslerum

I... don't understand, it's beyond me, how "influencer" just became a regular expression like this, without people noticing how wrong this is, I mean everything is in the word, what's wrong with people.

As always, social media was a mistake. (Biggest amplifier of one's ego in a supposedly connected world)

That's how I read the thread title, "Media and Influenza festival". Sounds wonderful. Actually, sounds about right for 2019.

CeeJay

E3 for me has always been about big flashy conferences full of reveals and mic drop moments. E3 should not be centred around a load of self centred greedy cunts holding cans of Redbull (TM) and trying to get more followers to increase their revenue.

E3 is about the only gaming event that I have booked time off work to watch, the end of an era :messenger_pensive:

Arun1910

Meh. Gonna be honest, Gamescom is the thing I look forward to the most the past few years.

E3 - Announcements
Gamescom - In depth videos on those announcements.

nush

The tipping point was when there were more non gaming industry people attending than actual industry people. That was some time ago.

Virex

Banned
They should rather rename it to the Fan and Gamer Festival.

Edit. Or they shouldn't. Because I just realised if you shorten it then it would be the FaG Festival

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Ohh man I used to be blown away from E³ news as a child (when it still was new, but I guess magazines back then also blew it out of proportion :D ) trough the early 2000s. But it is a shadow of itself in its current form. This year nothing really hyped me ; ;

Mass Shift

Why are so many fans eager to see E3 disappear? It's like those people who haven't seen a Simpsons episode for half a decade and yet can't wait to comment how the show is shit nowdays and shouldn't be made anymore. I'm all for keeping the party going, State of Plays and Nintendo Directs don't give the same excitement.

I don't want to see it disappear, but I have to admit that after the press events I don't pay very much attention to it because I'm not in L.A.

They have it in the same location EVERY year, that has to be apart of the low attendance. Why not mix it up? Try bringing it East or in the South for a change?

History repeats itself.

E3 drastically tried to change to a more focused, smaller format a little over a decade ago, circa ~2007. "E3 is dead" every gaming news site stated. It then rapidly evolved back to the standard fare afterwards. E3 will be back, mark my words. There is too much of a financial investment in the next generation of games and consoles for publishers and platform holders to ignore an opportunity to sell excitement and celebrate the industry as a whole.

joe_zazen

There is too much of a financial investment in the next generation of games and consoles for publishers and platform holders to ignore an opportunity to sell excitement and celebrate the industry as a whole.

Celebrating the industry and selling excitement is not what made E3 special.

Having the three console manufacturers put on giant live stage show events back to back to back was EPIC. Pre-E3, you flelt like you were getting ready to watch titans duke it out, and would see history play out live. It was the superbowl and world cup of corporate gaming. That is why people would book time off work. Watching Nintendo Directs, tree house streams, YouTube personalities, and whatever other ways they want to “sell excitment” or “celebrate the industry”...yawn.

Things change, everything passes away.

Top Bottom