• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA’s IP revival is reportedly a Dead Space ‘reimagining’

"An Electronic Arts IP revival teased last weekend is reportedly a reimagining of sci-fi horror series Dead Space.

It was first claimed by journalist Jeff Grubb this weekend that EA was set to announce a new project during its EA Play Live event on July 22, which he had previously claimed was an unnamed “established IP” revival by EA’s Motive studio.

The story was picked up by VGC and other outlets, and now Gematsu has corroborated the report and claimed that the “established IP” is Dead Space.

The Dead Space series first released in 2008 and has not seen a new instalment since 2013’s Dead Space 3. The series’ developer, Visceral Games, was closed by EA in 2017.

According to Gematsu, the new Dead Space game will be a “reimagining” of the series, rather than a straight sequel to the existing trilogy of games."

Bartski

Gold Member
turning that shit up to 11

Overkill Rage GIF by WTFrame Comics

hope not

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just don't trust EA to give me a good Dead Space game or its spiritual successor, last game I enjoyed from EA was Dead Space 2, which was a decade a go.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

So, EA killed this franchise by meddling with more action and micro transactions. They later killed Visceral Games.

Even if this isn’t some dogshit action shooter or something, it’s not going to touch the original.

It's a slap in the face to fans and ex-Visceral employees.

Dead Space is one of those games that doesn't need to be reimagined or rebooted, because it's just that damn good. And it still holds up today, due to Visceral taking the approach they did with being able to move while shooting (unlike RE4, which it took inspiration from HEAVILY).

I guess it shouldn't bother me, since it's not like the first two games will be stricken from history or unable to be downloaded, but it still does largely because EA put this series to rest and shut down Visceral.

Last edited:

"An Electronic Arts IP revival teased last weekend is reportedly a reimagining of sci-fi horror series Dead Space.

It was first claimed by journalist Jeff Grubb this weekend that EA was set to announce a new project during its EA Play Live event on July 22, which he had previously claimed was an unnamed “established IP” revival by EA’s Motive studio.

The story was picked up by VGC and other outlets, and now Gematsu has corroborated the report and claimed that the “established IP” is Dead Space.

The Dead Space series first released in 2008 and has not seen a new instalment since 2013’s Dead Space 3. The series’ developer, Visceral Games, was closed by EA in 2017.

According to Gematsu, the new Dead Space game will be a “reimagining” of the series, rather than a straight sequel to the existing trilogy of games."
"We're gonna reimagine it with 128 player domination and deathmatch" - EA (probably)

Braag

Reimagining?
It's gonna be a live service game with raids and dungeons where you will go through hordes of bullet spongy necrophages to earn levels and loot. Gonna be the scariest horror game of its year for all the wrong reasons.

Kuranghi

If they fuck this up I'm going to put one of these in each devs desk drawer:

I really hope this doesn't mean it will have a wacky art style, I have a "wacky-art-style"-feeling about this. I also imagine them focusing heavily on story when the scenario matters much more, who the hell remembers any of the story parts from DS compared to "Oh remember the bit with the X!".

I'm just played through RE2R, RE3R and RE8 with a friend who doesn't play games ever and he's loving them. He likes that modern graphics spectacle and short length though so 1, 4 and 5 are probably out for him so I think I'm going to suggest Dead Space 1 & 2 to him for the next games, he likes the horrific shit in RE so thats covered ha.

Fbh

It will be a loot focused , 4 player wave based coop shooter.
You'll play as one of four wacky survivors trying to stay alive in an alien infested space station. Each with their own abilities, "fun" wacky attitude and plenty of visual customisation options to really show your style

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Me too. Jedi Fallen Order shows EA can make a competent single player game, if they are willing.

I hope they don't put soulslike elements in it like respawning enemies on save, I really like the RE thing of clearing an area and it feeling safer, then the game fucks with you and adds new enemies based on objective progression, but not very often like in RE so you have this nice mix of feeling safe in the cleared areas but still on edge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom