• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA abandons trademark "Ghost" following Ubisoft opposition

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
ea-ghostr8kwm.png

On January 30, 2016, I reported about Ubisoft opposing registration of EA's trademarks for the Ghost studio. New documents dated February 24, 2016, show that Electronic Arts has abandoned at least one of these trademarks. The below is for US Ser. No. 86/568,854, Ghost, under goods and services "Computer game software". The other trademark, US Ser. No. 86/568,852, Ghost, under goods and services "Entertainment services, namely, providing an on-line computer game", appears to still be in force, but ought to likely be withdrawn soon as well.

ttabvue-91226091-opp-7gjwo.png

ttabvue-91226091-opp-4jkyp.png
¨

ttabvue-91226091-opp-wtj7a.png

Source: http://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91226091&pty=OPP&eno=4

Ghost Games is the EA studio known for Need for Speed Rivals (2013) and Need for Speed (2015). They are currently working on the next Need for Speed game.

Whether the name of the studio will be affected by this development is unknown.

Glass Rebel

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a good thing? Wasn't EA actually in the wrong here? They tried to register the very non-specific trademark "Ghost", which would have granted them the rights to control who gets to use it for game-related products, and Ubisoft said "nah"?

Setsuna

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this a good thing? Wasn't EA actually in the wrong here? They tried to register the very non-specific trademark "Ghost", which would have granted them the rights to control who gets to use it for game-related products, and Ubisoft said "nah"?

You are no't wrong

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How fucking stupid. I mean, Ghost is a word. Ubisoft does not own it.

Ubisoft does own "Ghost Recon" and the spec op team there is labeled "Ghosts."

There's also Call of Duty that uses "Ghost" as a character for a spec. op. soldier under Activision. The claim (IIRC) was that EA using it as a team/developer name would confuse people.

But that's the nature of trademark lawsuits and the like. They try to protect words and things for the sake of "not confusing people" despite most of the mass-market not really caring about that stuff.

EvB

You've got it wrong. Maybe try reading it before calling it "fucking stupid"

EA was trying to claim it as a trademark so only they could use it
Ubisoft said nobody can own it in the world of videogames, don't you dare trademark it

I know this is a confusing situation, who should we hate more, EA or Ubisoft? Ubisoft are the current most hated on GAF, but you should probably cool your jets and watch your language.

EA could have won this BS.

Well maybe not won but at least give a good argument. Then again the way they were going about it was a bit dumb so EA was wrong here.

Kyoufu

It's good in the sense that EA doesn't get to trademark a common word like Ghost, but if a studio can't name themselves that then it wouldn't be a good thing. The question is if this affects the studio's name at all.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

You realize you're arguing in favor of EA, who were making a claim to the word themselves, as if they should own it?

Going to war with patent trolls is one thing, but going to court against another massive company with a team of lawyers was probably more effort than it was worth.

Ubisoft does own "Ghost Recon" and the spec op team there is labeled "Ghosts."

There's also Call of Duty that uses "Ghost" as a character for a spec. op. soldier under Activision. The claim (IIRC) was that EA using it as a team/developer name would confuse people.

But that's the nature of trademark lawsuits and the like. They try to protect words and things for the sake of "not confusing people" despite most of the mass-market not really caring about that stuff.

Thank you for some common sense in here.

The people getting angry or saying this is stupid are the very same people who have no idea how trademarks work.

I'm sure the thinking here was that it would be more expedient to just change Ghost Games' name, given that they're just a studio and not, say, a franchise with a fanbase, brand recognition, and tons of marketing.

The last time EA had to deal with a trademark that WAS attached to a franchise with a fanbase, brand recognition, and tons of marketing, shit went real bad for the other guy.

I think most of the people in this thread are confused about how trademarks work.

This won't affect the name of the studio. There was no conflicting mark here. It just means there's no trademark. Everyone can use Ghost in their name, not no one.

Mentok

Banned
People are in favor of EA trademarking a word? Wow, the Ubihate is real.

EDIT:

I think most of the people in this thread are confused about how trademarks work.

This won't affect the name of the studio. There was no conflicting mark here. It just means there's no trademark. Everyone can use Ghost in their name, not no one.

Thank you!

King_Moc

Banned

Also, I think Ubisoft are pretty much obligated to defend their trademark if they own one for anything with 'ghost' in the name, aren't they?

4Tran

EA was in the wrong here, and Ubisoft was right to fight an attempt to trademark an overly generic word. Nobody would have cared if EA had tried to trademark something like "Ghost Games" instead, but they were going for just "Ghost".

Also, I think Ubisoft are pretty much obligated to defend their trademark if they own one for anything with 'ghost' in the name, aren't they?

Basically yes.

When EA sends off the application to trademark the USPTO responds by giving them a list of similar names that are already trademarked, the obvious being Ubisofts. Ubisoft are then told about this conflicting application.

EA would then have to file a claim against Ubisofts trademark saying they have more right to it. The usual case is claiming "first use" which means EA would be stating they used the word first in reference to videogames.

Chances are Ubisoft used it first so EA have no basis for a claim, so they dropped it.

The lawyers at EA should have done better research in the beginning before filing a trademark application. Probably why it was dropped so fast.

Okay, so if I understand correctly:

1) Long ago, Ubisoft filed for trademarks on "Ghost Recon" as it pertains to video game-like endeavors and was granted those trademarks;
2) Recently, EA filed for a trademark on the word "Ghost" as it pertains to video game-like endeavors;
3) Ubisoft argued the Ghost trademark is too close to the Ghost Recon trademark and would cause confusion;
4) EA agreed, withdrew their application for "Ghost";
5) end result: "Ghost Recon" is still trademarked, "Ghost" is not, meaning anyone is free to use the word "Ghost" in game-related stuff so long as it's not trademarked, but hands off "Ghost Recon" yo.

?

Top Bottom