• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA acquires GameFly subsidiary for cloud gaming

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Electronic Arts has announced the acquisition of GameFly Inc's cloud gaming subsidiary. With this, EA intends to expand its streaming services to more players on more devices worldwide.

The GameFly cloud gaming subsidiary is located in Caesarea, Israel, and includes both the personnel and technological assets behind GameFly's cloud streaming services.

"Cloud gaming is an exciting frontier that will help us to give even more players the ability to experience games on any device from anywhere," said Ken Moss, EA's chief technology officer, in a statement. "We're thrilled to bring this talented team's expertise into EA as we continue to innovate and expand the future of games and play."
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-22-ea-acquires-gamefly-subsidiary-for-cloud-gaming

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sounds like another way EA is controlling where their customers play their games.

I thought we were going to see more of an integration of the cloud versus monetary systems where players sign up for services.

Blam

Yeah remember when gamestop/ebgames did this. Haha yeah that went literally nowhere, and same with this.

BANGS

Banned
Why would anyone invest in cloud gaming? Who the fuck is clamoring to play low resolution/low framerate/high latency games with no more convenience than a generic storefront?

Zannegan

Why would anyone invest in cloud gaming? Who the fuck is clamoring to play low resolution/low framerate/high latency games with no more convenience than a generic storefront?
Future proofing I'd guess. Still sounds awful to me, but someday we'll hit that point where streaming is "good enough" for most people, then game sales will drop like physical movie sales, and service subscriptions will be all the rage.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
After hearing about what Capcom is doing for RE7 on the Switch and it's atrocious pricing model, maybe EA wants a piece of that action

NahaNago

Future proofing I'd guess. Still sounds awful to me, but someday we'll hit that point where streaming is "good enough" for most people, then game sales will drop like physical movie sales, and service subscriptions will be all the rage.

Yeah, I would think that a lot of the more popular non shooting pc games could probably be streamed as good enough but that data cap will still hurt a lot of folks.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Sony bought Gaikai to run their services for PSNow, They bought OnLive for all their patents, and then shut them down. OnLive was only bought to stop competitors.
My point was that they wasted their money.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Ill doubt it when you think about Xbox game pass where you still download the game. There are just too many issues with streaming games, which is why PS Now more or less died.

Zannegan

Ill doubt it when you think about Xbox game pass where you still download the game. There are just too many issues with streaming games, which is why PS Now more or less died.
I hope you're right, because streaming games sounds awful to me. The big publishers are convinced it's the future though.

Top Bottom