• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA and Crytek announce Crysis 2 for PC and consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Crysis was a great game that was just a bit too unfocused for me, so hopefully some constraints will force Crytek to really focus on the level design this time around instead of the tech. Don't get me wrong, the level design in Crysis wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but yeah, like I said, it was a tad unfocused at times.

I'm betting that C2 is gonna be like Warhead with smaller environments and more linear gameplay.

Warhead was good, but it falls well short of the original.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
pizzaguysrevenge said:
I'm betting that C2 is gonna be like Warhead with smaller environments and more linear gameplay.

Warhead was good, but it falls well short of the original.
Warhead was made by the "B-Team" at Crytek though, right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Rez said:
Crysis was a great game that was just a bit too unfocused for me, so hopefully some constraints will force Crytek to really focus on the level design this time around instead of the tech. Don't get me wrong, the level design in Crysis wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but yeah, like I said, it was a tad unfocused at times.

Try Warhead?

Someone forgot to tell them that Crysis can´t be done on consoles.

How embarrasing, if Cry-tek had proper coverage of neoGaf discussions these kind of misstakes would not happen.

Zenith

Banned
EatChildren said:
I enjoyed Warhead more than Crysis

I didn't. Whilst I enjoyed having bigger setpieces rather than some of the slow-paced jungle crawls in Crysis the change to the player's HP and Energy points removed the tactical edge. In Warhead I just stood in the open blowing the enemy to bits without needing to take cover.

painful fart said:

How embarrasing, if Cry-tek had proper coverage of neoGaf discussions these kind of misstakes would not happen.
Crysis can't be done on consoles.

Crysis 2 can. Which is why Crysis 2 probably won't be as good as Crysis.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
EviLore said:
Try Warhead?
I've been meaning to for a while, I have it ready to download on Steam, I just need to wait until the end of the month (or the 20th, to be exact) to download it thanks to my bandwidth cap.

pulga

Banned
Um, if they've got CryEngine3 running on consoles, shouldn't a port of the original Crysis be on the way?

Kabouter

Sweet. Crysis had one of the most enjoyable and varied single-player FPS campaigns since Half-Life 2. And on top of that, it gave you a ton of freedom unlike most FPS games these days. Although, Crysis did get much better thanks to mods/custom config files, I didn't really care for the flat look of the original, something like Mster looks so much better to me, and runs great:
http://www.vimeo.com/1647830

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Zenith said:
I didn't. Whilst I enjoyed having bigger setpieces rather than some of the slow-paced jungle crawls in Crysis the change to the player's HP and Energy points removed the tactical edge. In Warhead I just stood in the open blowing the enemy to bits without needing to take cover.

That's probably why I liked it more, as it made fighting people and aliens a lot of fun.

I found Crysis to be terribly underwhelming. Too many useless guns in the grand scheme of things, a totally overrated weapon altering system, pretty basic suit powers, and faaar too repetitive gameplay.

It had its pros, and there were a handful of really memorable moments, but I just felt far too underwhelmed by the whole package. The jungle just got far too repetitive for me with nowhere near enough enemy variety, and I didn't like the aliens (although they were more fun than the mutants in FarCry).

Oh, and the ridiculously hyped Zero G level fucking sucked.

If it's multiplatform, it's simply not going to be as open-ended as the original. Going to consoles is the single worst thing that's happened to the sequel. When you're not bitterly crying and fighting over which console is better/worse, you're getting some of the better PC shooters around and making it worse.

FirewalkR

EviLore said:
More curious than excited, despite loving Crysis and Crysis Warhead. A PC dev going multiplatform for a sequel is usually the recipe for a lesser game.

Meh, it's not like Deus Ex 2 was... OH SHIT!!!!!

eznark

Banned
Mandatory PC pickup for the mods, but if multiplayer catches on on 360/PS3 it might be worth a pick up there too.

Crysis Wars as a separate $30 game?

jonnyp said:
It'll probably look very good on PC but I was less than impressed with the demo of their Crytek 3 engine running on consoles.

Graphics are less of a concern, I think we all expect it to look splendid on the PC platform. Its the compromises they'll have to make to the gameplay that are the concern. The original Crysis is simply not possible on consoles without large compromises, the fear is that console development is going to inflict these compromises upon the PC sequal.

Minsc

Gold Member
Can't wait to hear what resolution it will run at :lol

Look at the good news in this, at least this means we'll be able to enjoy Crysis 2 on PCs maxed out at 1920x1200 @ 60 fps w/ AA no sweat! :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm an idiot. Steam runs most of its downloads through Game Arena in Australia now, which means its all un-metred usage for me.

Downloading Warhead now.

painful fart said:

It can't. There's a very good reason why the consoles are only seeing the sequal and not the original.

Acosta

*sigh* Lesser game almost confirmed. The problem are not the shiny graphics, the problem is that is going to be a more limited and streamlined experience than Crysis, that is what made the first one to shine. I guess it will be more like Far Cry 2, with "tunnels" between zones and so.

flabberghastly said:
I'm curious to see what Crytek can do with these consoles.

Yeah, that is definitely one aspect that has me really intrigued. I'd have just personally have preferred it if they created a new IP for this, rather than compromising the sequal to Crysis. Crysis 2 could have always been a launch title for the next generation consoles.

Johann

EviLore said:
More curious than excited, despite loving Crysis and Crysis Warhead. A PC dev going multiplatform for a sequel is usually the recipe for a lesser game.

It's not just the graphics and technology. The 360 and PS3 will need keyboard peripherals if they wanted to do as many actions in the first Crysis and as quickly as possible.

eznark

Banned
Johann said:
It's not just the graphics and technology. The 360 and PS3 will need keyboard peripherals if they wanted to do as many actions in the first Crysis and as quickly as possible.

Switching the suit (which was for me the main hook) seems like it would be cumbersome without the keyboard. If I can't go stealth, power, stealth to effortlessly sneak, choke and escape in the midst of dozens of NK commies I don't know if I want to play this game.

Awesome news. I'm surprised that people thought that Crytek would actually launch their new console engine with a new IP, especially after the tech demo.

I've just started on Far Cry 2 for 360 and I'm really impressed by how it looks and runs, if Crytek can outdo that by Fall 2010 they'll certainly have my interest.

eznark said:
Switching the suit (which was for me the main hook) seems like it would be cumbersome without the keyboard. If I can't go stealth, power, stealth to effortlessly sneak, choke and escape in the midst of dozens of NK commies I don't know if I want to play this game.

Is there any reason this couldn't be handled with a single button hold and pop-up menu, like the ammo/vision modes in RS Vegas? Ie, hold LB, press left on analog for stealth, press up for power, press right for speed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Johann said:

You've never played Crysis on a pc with a 360 joypad then. It had in built support for the 360 pad and it worked great. It was like playing an uber console.

PnCIa

Rez said:
Crysis is *not* a CoD-type game where they script your every move, Crysis is sort of a half-sandbox game. Warhead is more linear, and that is the reason why it is inferior. Actually they should make it more open-ended, but i somehow doubt that they will do this so they can serve the generation Call of Duty better.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Great news, tough the best thing about Crysis its still PC Exclusive
Sandbox Editor

PnCIa said:
Crysis is *not* a CoD-type game where they script your every move, Crysis is sort of a half-sandbox game. Warhead is more linear, and that is the reason why it is different.
Fixed.

TheOddOne

EviLore said:

I came to post this. Meh there going the way of EPIC.

Kritz said:
I'm curious to see the PC vs Console screenshot threads. That's about it, though.
PC vs Console :lol PC will always win, especially when compared to 4 year old consoles.

It'll be PS3 vs 360 screen shot wars , Crysis 2 and FFXIII will provide fanboys hours of rage.

eznark

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Is there any reason this couldn't be handled with a single button hold and pop-up menu, like the ammo/vision modes in RS Vegas? Ie, hold LB, press left on analog for stealth, press up for power, press right for speed.

No, technically it can be done easily, however I think it loses some simplicity provided by the keyboard and mouse. Center-click and pick a suit type all while moving seems simpler in my mind than LB+Right analog, left analog for movement. Maybe it'll work seamless though, hope so.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
PnCIa said:
Crysis is *not* a CoD-type game where they script your every move, Crysis is sort of a half-sandbox game. Warhead is more linear, and that is the reason why it is inferior. Actually they should make it more open-ended, but i somehow doubt that they will do this so they can serve the generation Call of Duty better.
well... yeah, no doubt. but I wasn't actually asking for a more scripted style, just a slightly more focused one.

I'm aware that just saying "more focused plz" isn't helpful, but then I'm not a game designer, I don't have a solution. With that being said, I can't think of any game that's done the whole semi-linear thing better than Crysis.

It's just a personal taste thing, I guess, I've always preferred linear games.

I'm predominately a console gamer but i absolutely love crysis. Having said that i don't have much interest in a console version. All the things that made it unique and in some ways better than the FPS experiences i have had on consoles will be lost.

Stink

Can't help thinking they've got it backwards. Releasing on console while PC tech was still expensive and then going PC-exclusive once the hardware that stomps on consoles is cheap seems like the obvious way to do it.

Kritz

Banned
SimpleDesign said:
PC vs Console :lol PC will always win, especially when compared to 4 year old consoles.

Well, no shit. I'll be interesting to see how much better the PC shots are, obviously.

FuKuy

I hope Crytek still care about their PC users... I don't wanna Crysis 2 "cut" because the consoles versiones, and I don't want paid-DLC because of console versions...

Gattsu25

Banned
Rez said:
well... yeah, no doubt. but I wasn't actually asking for a more scripted style, just a slightly more focused one.

I'm aware that just saying "more focused plz" isn't helpful, but then I'm not a game designer, I don't have a solution. With that being said, I can't think of any game that's done the whole semi-linear thing better than Crysis.

It's just a personal taste thing, I guess, I've always preferred linear games.
So...you prefer more scripting.

Calling it a desire for 'a more focused game' doesn't change the fact that you want less sandbox and more partially-on-rails-linear-handholding.

Sure is a lot of doubt in this thread. Crytek haven't made a game or these consoles so don't jump to conclusions about visuals and controls, we haven't even seen a gameplay video and people are already calling compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom