• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA and Crytek announce Crysis 2 for PC and consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepbrown

Today EA and Crytek announced Crysis 2 for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC.

The next instalment of Crysis will be the first game built on Crytek's CryENGINE 3 and will be released for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC. EA will publish the game.

"The development of Crysis 2 marks a major stepping stone for our studio," said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek.

"This is not only the next game in the Crysis franchise, it’s the first title we are developing for consoles and the first title being built on CryENGINE 3. We are excited to have the support of EA Partners again as we work together to make the launch of Crysis 2 a huge event."

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/crytek-announces-crysis-2-consoles-and-pc-$1300130.htm

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
----TON

Or not? I guess the sequel on consoles was kind of to be expected.

Hopefully they show it today at the EA conference (or MS one for that matter). I wasn't too impressed by the CryEngine 2 tech demos, but the game itself might be another matter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I enjoyed Warhead more than Crysis, but I'm still not overly impressed with the franchise and don't know if I will bite a third time.

Unless it's a seriously big step forward I doubt I'll get it for anything more than a tech demo.

deepbrown

gofreak said:
----TON

Or not? I guess the sequel on consoles was kind of to be expected.
It means that Crysis 2 will have to look better than Crysis on consoles. Otherwise it wouldn't be a good sequel...right?

Well boo to the fact that the game may have to be compromised for consoles but still, its Crysis 2 and I'm sure Crytek will make the most of the PC platform. Sure it'll scale incredibly well. I just fear the scale will have to be dialled back too much for the tiny RAM pools available on consoles.

Durante

So, unless they mess up the PC version which I really doubt, this will be a case of a sequel requiring less power to run well than its predecessor.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
deepbrown said:
It means that Crysis 2 will have to look better than Crysis on consoles. Otherwise it wouldn't be a good sequel...right?

The Cry Engine 2 demos did not look better than Crysis. So I wouldn't expect that at all :p

Commercially putting it on consoles too was the obvious option, regardless of what it means for the game's graphics (though I expect on PC it will look >= Crysis, at least)

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Durante said:
So, unless they mess up the PC version which I really doubt, this will be a case of a sequel requiring less power to run well than its prequel.
It's like Dragon Quest IX all over again.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Not a Ton as im sure everyone was expecting it.

I loved crysis and warhead. Glad they are making #2.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
PR
PR said:
EA PARTNERS AND CRYTEK ANNOUNCE DEAL EXTENSION FOR MULTIPLATFORM DEVELOPMENT OF CRYSIS 2
Next Installment of the Critically-Acclaimed Crysis Franchise will be First Game Built on Crytek's Multiplatform CryENGINE 3 Technology
Redwood City, Calif. – June 1, 2009 – Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that it has agreed to a deal extension with Crytek GmbH, the award-winning developers of the Crysis® universe, to publish Crysis 2. Renowned for their technical excellence, artistic craftsmanship and commitment to quality, Crytek is building Crysis 2 on their new state-of-the-art multiplatform game development solution CryENGINE®3 for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system, and the PC.

“The development of Crysis 2 marks a major stepping stone for our studio,” said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek. “This is not only the next game in the Crysis franchise, it’s the first title we are developing for consoles and the first title being built on CryENGINE 3. We are excited to have the support of EA Partners again as we work together to make the launch of Crysis 2 a huge event.”

“Nothing speaks more to the success of the EA Partners program than when a studio the caliber of Crytek continues to work with us,” said David DeMartini, Senior Vice President and General Manager of EA Partners. “Crytek is already one of the elite PC development studios in the world and we are excited to have the opportunity to partner with them in bringing their award-winning technology and gameplay to more platforms and a wider audience with Crysis 2.”

Stumpokapow said:
these leaks have got to stop! this is just embarrassing!
Not a leak

Sweet.

Hopefully they're pushing the art direction a bit away from sunny beaches. The ice parts of Crysis were incredible and underexposed in the media.

Oh and finally the console-only crowd gets to acknowledge the excellent gameplay on offer.

gofreak said:
The Cry Engine 3 demos did not look better than Crysis. So I wouldn't expect that at all :p

Commercially putting it on consoles too was the obvious option, regardless of what it means for the game's graphics (though I expect on PC it will look >= Crysis, at least)

Fixed.

No way this will look better on consoles than Crysis on PC already does... I just don't think it's possible.

I'm really keen to see how this engine runs on PC, however.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Cool. I think Crysis became this weird poster boy for ridiculous graphics, but not as many people realised that it was an awesome game!

markot

Banned
InsertCredit said:
Sweet.

Hopefully they're pushing the art direction a bit away from sunny beaches. The ice parts of Crysis were incredible and underexposed in the media.

Oh and finally the console-only crowd gets to acknowledge the excellent gameplay on offer.

The non beach stuff would have been spoilers!

McBacon said:
Cool. I think Crysis became this weird poster boy for ridiculous graphics, but not as many people realised that it was an awesome game!

Yeah, that's one of the best things that will come of this. Well, hopefully the don't have to compromise the scale, physics and interactivity too much,a s they were a big part of what made the gameplay so unique and progressive.

_Alkaline_ said:
Nice.

I'm curious as to how the console versions will look.

Within the top half a dozen console titles in terms of technology I'm sure, the small tech demo was more than enough to convince me of that. It'll be head to head between this and Rage for the crown of most impressive multiplatform engine. Should still give Uncharted 2 a decent run for its money as well, though it'll probably fall behind due to its multiplatform nature, all things told.

deepbrown

gofreak said:
The Cry Engine 2 demos did not look better than Crysis. So I wouldn't expect that at all :p

Really?

markot

Banned
I agree, I used to rubbish it as 'another pretty fps' but then I played it and realised it was actually pretty good >_<

Xater

brain_stew said:
Within the top half a dozen console titles in terms of technology I'm sure, the small tech demo was more than enough to convince me of that. It'll be head to head between this and Rage for the crown of most impressive multiplatform engine. Should still give Uncharted 2 a decent run for its money as well, though it'll probably fall behind due to its multiplatform nature, all things told.

We will see. I can't wait to see how those tech wizards at Crytek will be able to furtheroptimize their engine for consoles.

Afrikan

proposition said:
I wonder if this could be the first time a sequel has looked worse than a preceding game?

well EA's other franchise achieved that.

Madden 08 compared to Madden 07 for the PS3/360 lost:

HDR
3D grass
High Res Player Models
Player Models seemed to have shrunk as well.

and the PS3 version still remained at 30fps. (where as the 360 version moved up to 60fps)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
More curious than excited, despite loving Crysis and Crysis Warhead. A PC dev going multiplatform for a sequel is usually the recipe for a lesser game.

benjipwns

Banned
Poimandres said:
Wasn't it established (in places like B3D) that the CE3 demo was a WIP with the intent of matching Crysis performance on the consoles with necessary optimizations of the overall engine to the point where any future game would surpass CE2 if it was thrown onto consoles? And that the PC versions would benefit from all of this.

I seem to recall a post from a dev or someone saying that the optimizations made were the most key feature of 3. And that people looking at the demo and going "DOESN'T LOOK ANY BETTER" were missing the point.

jonnyp

EviLore said:
More curious than excited, despite loving Crysis and Crysis Warhead. A PC dev going multiplatform for a sequel is usually the recipe for a lesser game.

It'll probably look very good on PC but I was less than impressed with the demo of their Crytek 3 engine running on consoles.

JimiNutz

Banned
This news actually kind of surprised me. I expected Crytek to make a console game but I expected a new IP, not a sequel to Crysis.

I'm one of those anal people that don't really like playing sequels unless I've played the previous games, so I probably won't bite unless they port the first game as well.

CiSTM

Banned
McBacon said:

Crysis was pretty meh as a game. It wasn't bad or anything but it was you standard FPS game with nice coat of paint. Crysis Warheads on the other hand was really great game.

And what comes to this news I am kinda disappointed. Even with the awesomness of the CryEngine I don't see how they could build big open world game with same or better graphics than orginal Crysis on consoles. Graphics aren't the definition of a game but I have always considered Crytek to be the ones who set new bar on PC gaming (graphics) but if they have to restrain themselves because of consoles then I don't see they will be setting any bars in the future of pc gaming.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
CiSTM said:
I don't see how they could build big open world game with same or better graphics than orginal Crysis on consoles.

You don't see how because it's not possible.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not much of a surprise, hopefully they develop it as a PC title and then fit it onto the consoles, Crysis Warhead plays alright with a controller (well as good as any game can). So hopefully it's just the graphics they tone down for the console version.

Is it possible that we might see the original hitting consoles? Of course the graphics would have to take a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom