• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA and Visceral Games Announce Battlefield Hardline Premium

Deadbeat

Banned
Perhaps Visceral's single player campaign will make BF4 look like an add-on to Hardline.
Making better singleplayer than BF4 isnt that hard of a task. Its making a good singleplayer campaign thats hard. I hope they do, but this is from the same company that made Dead Space 3, so I am skeptical.

brennok

Neo Member
And would really have believed Visceral if they made that comment about focus on launch only and nothing else?

It is all about presentation though. They look better not announcing Premium if the launch goes like all previous Battlefield launches, and waiting until 4-6 weeks post launch.

shone237

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the only one that has less faith in Battlefront than Hardline.

I had my doubts about Hardline until I played the Beta. I've been able to find very little about Battlefront. Odd to hear someone suggest a game that has so little coverage as GOAT. So many baseless opinions in this thread it's hard to take any debate serious.

I also wonder about our rights to be so demanding as consumers. I mean, I was paying $60 for games 30yrs ago. To hear kids crying about $120 for a game that releases fresh content for year just seems so petty. It's even worse when they admit they aren't interested in the product. I can't fathem going into a thread for a game I don't play and arguing with the people that enjoy it, that they aren't enjoying it enough for that price point. It's full retard.

I feel like the only one that has less faith in Battlefront than Hardline.

I had my doubts about Hardline until I played the Beta. I've been able to find very little about Battlefront. Odd to hear someone suggest a game that has so little coverage as GOAT. So many baseless opinions in this thread it's hard to take any debate serious.

EA has been mum on Battlefront because they know it would take the wind out of Hardline's sales
yes that was intentional

Mark my words....By the time E3 is over, you will be sick to death of hearing about the new Battlefront. That's not to say it's anything approaching a guaranteed GOAT title, as DICE or shitty EA business practices could certainly still royally screw the pooch. But EA committed to this Hardline thing to fill in the gap between BF4 and Battlefront, and they're going to milk as much money as they can out of it before they move on to the real cash cow.

Hardline might be an okish Battlefield game. If you're into it, great. Just don't be shocked when that fancy season pass becomes a noose around the games neck as the bulk of the population flocks to the next big thing. Don't forget there's a very good chance Rainbow Six: Siege comes out this fall as well. For those that enjoyed the Heist mode in Hardline, there's probably more than a little overlap there as well.

Nokterian

Photo at EA Offices from the guy who made it.

53840819.jpg

Dem dislikes.

Tubie

This game's biggest enemy will be BF4.

I'm only getting it because Hotwire is so damn fun, but BF4 just keeps getting better. And the winter patch today is hitting all the right notes for me.

jWILL253

Banned
So, exactly how long will EA pretend people aren't annoyed by this kind of thing?

People can only put up with so much before they tell a company to fuck off.

BF4? Broken until recently. Hardline reception? Mixed, from what I hear. And with that said, it doesn't make much sense to advertise a season pass (AT THAT PRICE, no less) for a game that has not only not been released yet, but comes on the heels of a game that has almost ruined the reputation of the IP.

Me thinks they are in for a rude awakening pretty soon. I don't think Hardline (or Battlefront, for that matter) will be received as well as they hoped.

So, exactly how long will EA pretend people aren't annoyed by this kind of thing?

People can only put up with so much before they tell a company to fuck off.

BF4? Broken until recently. Hardline reception? Mixed, from what I hear. And with that said, it doesn't make much sense to advertise a season pass (AT THAT PRICE, no less) for a game that has not only not been released yet, but comes on the heels of a game that has almost ruined the reputation of the IP.

Me thinks they are in for a rude awakening pretty soon. I don't think Hardline (or Battlefront, for that matter) will be received as well as they hoped.
Most people aren't annoyed by Premium. Most of us like it. A few vocal people online don't make up the majority of he the game's base. Hardline might do poorly, but for other reasons than Premium. Star Wars Battlefront is going to be a monumental seller.

prag16

Banned
Every time I see this bumped up near the top, I get excited for a split second when I see EA/Visceral thinking it's new info on the Amy Hennig Star Wars game. :(

Guess that probably won't be until E3...

U2NUMB

Wait... WTF is this

"Gun Bench - Provides players with the ability to visually customize their weapons and track their kills per weapon."

So will battlelog not track stats per weapon now unless you pay them 50 more bucks? That might be the most annoying thing of all... ugh

Theorry

Wait... WTF is this

"Gun Bench - Provides players with the ability to visually customize their weapons and track their kills per weapon."

So will battlelog not track stats per weapon now unless you pay them 50 more bucks? That might be the most annoying thing of all... ugh

Probably something else. More like MOH warfighter gun bench ingame. No way they let you not use Battlelog.

Wait... WTF is this

I thought the same thing, but some BF players believe it is an in-game kill counter kinda thing, and possibly custom gun camos (like, make your own).

I bought the Digital Deluxe but I think that Premium is what I wanted. And before I get criticized, I got probably a thousand hours plus in BF4 so $110 is a great value proposition to me. I gladly give games that I like my money so that they make more of them.

My thoughts exactly. I'll never feel any shame dropping money into a game I enjoy.

jWILL253

Banned
Most people aren't annoyed by Premium. Most of us like it. A few vocal people online don't make up the majority of he the game's base. Hardline might do poorly, but for other reasons than Premium. Star Wars Battlefront is going to be a monumental seller.

Do you have the numbers to back this statement up?

How many people complaining about Premium actually play Battlefield regularly/as their main online FPS?

Let me just go ahead and stop you here, because I always see this kind of nonsense sentiment on Gaming Side.

Just because you and others play the game religiously and will shell out money for season passes without question, does NOT mean you get to have a monopoly on public opinion or constructive criticism. Because regardless if you're a fan of Battlefield or not, regardless if you're a fan of the genre in general, the concept of "value" is pretty universal across all genres. And for a game that isn't even out yet that is already attempting to splinter its userbase before it even has one, the value of this product is very poor right off the bat. As anyone who just wants to play the vanilla game and not spend $110 is gonna be left out of a significant amount of content unless they purchase the pass, or buy the DLC a la carte.

This is the same logic that Xbone fanboys used when defending the Xbone's initial policies, saying things like "NONE OF YOU GUYS ARE BUYING THE XBOX ONE ANYWAYS SO WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING???" Trying to quiet the dissent of others just because, unlike you apparently, they don't shell out money for things without questioning the value first, or considering the past habits of the people making the game, is silly at best, absolutely petty at worst.

How can you truly appreciate the value of a season pass without being intimately familiar with the base game/series and past post-release content offered?

If you don't play the game I will always assume by default that you are just having knee jerk reaction to season passes without fully understanding the value provided.

Also, announcing DLC plans before release can increase the value of the base product itself by providing a window to gage post release support.

Also by your word usage I can tell you are hostile to the idea of season passes overall so there is no point in continuing discourse.

lordxar

I don't get it...if you don't like premium, don't buy it. Seems simple. I passed on Ghosts and AW passes because I don't see the value as I've barely cranked 20 or 30 hours of MP in each but BF3 at 900+ hours and BF4 at about 400 hours have been totally worth having premium. Yet I don't go shitting all over COD.

Now if you want to bitch about DLC fracturing the player base or who has the best DLC value per dollar that is for another thread.

Edit: I would argue that BF4 is now fixed well enough to be what it should have been a year ago and if Battlefront is coming later this year it puts an odd pressure on Hardline to deliver and show $110 worth of value in a few short months. So I'm a toss up on getting premium for hardline.

jWILL253

Banned
How can you truly appreciate the value of a season pass without being intimately familiar with the base game/series and past post-release content offered?

If you don't play the game I will always assume by default that you are just having knee jerk reaction to season passes without fully understanding the value provided.

Also, announcing DLC plans before release can increase the value of the base product itself by providing a window to gage post release support.

Also by your word usage I can tell you are hostile to the idea of season passes overall so there is no point in continuing discourse.

Of course I'm hostile to the idea of season passes. I wasn't born yesterday; I actually remember a time when games had content, and any further content release actually added to the package. Today, though? Companies like EA, Activision & Capcom are taking content that was already made for final retail release and locking it away to be sold later, even when that content already exists on the disc. Who in their right mind would want to pay the $20-50 it costs to pay for content that was stripped out? Especially from companies who aren't even guaranteed to have the damn game working out the box if reputation is considered?

Imagine buying a movie on DVD only to find out that some scenes were stripped out of the theatre version just so they can sell a collector's edition before the vanilla DVD even hit shelves. Or even worse, imagine the company that made the movie creating a season pass for their film, drip-feeding the content that was stripped from the final version over the course of a set amount of time. EVEN WORSE, imagine the DVD didn't work as advertised. It seems absurd with movies, right?

The above scenario is what we're dealing with in the gaming industry.

So yeah... I'm pretty adverse to the concept of season passes.

I don't get it...if you don't like premium, don't buy it. Seems simple. I passed on Ghosts and AW passes because I don't see the value as I've barely cranked 20 or 30 hours of MP in each but BF3 at 900+ hours and BF4 at about 400 hours have been totally worth having premium. Yet I don't go shitting all over COD.

Now if you want to bitch about DLC fracturing the player base or who has the best DLC value per dollar that is for another thread.

Edit: I would argue that BF4 is now fixed well enough to be what it should have been a year ago and if Battlefront is coming later this year it puts an odd pressure on Hardline to deliver and show $110 worth of value in a few short months. So I'm a toss up on getting premium for hardline.

That's not how criticism works. Every game exists in its own vacuum, even if they occupy the same genre. Therefore COD's season pass values =/= BF's season pass values, and should be judged differently.

Do you have the numbers to back this statement up?

Let me just go ahead and stop you here, because I always see this kind of nonsense sentiment on Gaming Side.

Just because you and others play the game religiously and will shell out money for season passes without question, does NOT mean you get to have a monopoly on public opinion or constructive criticism. Because regardless if you're a fan of Battlefield or not, regardless if you're a fan of the genre in general, the concept of "value" is pretty universal across all genres. And for a game that isn't even out yet that is already attempting to splinter its userbase before it even has one, the value of this product is very poor right off the bat. As anyone who just wants to play the vanilla game and not spend $110 is gonna be left out of a significant amount of content unless they purchase the pass, or buy the DLC a la carte.

This is the same logic that Xbone fanboys used when defending the Xbone's initial policies, saying things like "NONE OF YOU GUYS ARE BUYING THE XBOX ONE ANYWAYS SO WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING???" Trying to quiet the dissent of others just because, unlike you apparently, they don't shell out money for things without questioning the value first, or considering the past habits of the people making the game, is silly at best, absolutely petty at worst.

I think what SG-17 is getting at is that people who complain about Premium without ever actually paying for it and understanding all the content it contains, probably don't have an accurate perspective on its value (if value is the crux of this conversation).

On paper, "$50 for a season pass of DLC" sounds...not encouraging, yes. Again,

Your general complaints about splintering the community aren't new--they've existed since expansion packs contain exclusive maps (which has been happening for over a decade now), particularly with Battlefield. That's not a concern that's exclusive to Premium.

Your assertion that people who buy Premium are just "shelling out money with no question" is insulting. I personally put faith in DICE with BF3 when I bought Premium, as it had been untested...and it turned out to be great. 20 maps, 20+ weapons, 10+ vehicles, a few new game modes, plus all the extra crap (xp events, camos, battlepacks, etc.). That's $50 for an amount of content that rivals the vanilla game itself.

I think it is actually the only season pass I've bought (well, I got Titanfall's when it was on sale) for any series, because, generally, I KNOW what I'm getting. So please don't assume that Premium customers have not questioned or tried to determine the "value" of this. The value of it is likely a reason why customers still buy it.

Of course I'm hostile to the idea of season passes. I wasn't born yesterday; I actually remember a time when games had content, and any further content release actually added to the package. Today, though? Companies like EA, Activision & Capcom are taking content that was already made for final retail release and locking it away to be sold later, even when that content already exists on the disc. Who in their right mind would want to pay the $20-50 it costs to pay for content that was stripped out? Especially from companies who aren't even guaranteed to have the damn game working out the box if reputation is considered?

Imagine buying a movie on DVD only to find out that some scenes were stripped out of the theatre version just so they can sell a collector's edition before the vanilla DVD even hit shelves. Or even worse, imagine the company that made the movie creating a season pass for their film, drip-feeding the content that was stripped from the final version over the course of a set amount of time. EVEN WORSE, imagine the DVD didn't work as advertised. It seems absurd with movies, right?

The above scenario is what we're dealing with in the gaming industry.

So yeah... I'm pretty adverse to the concept of season passes.

The problem here is that you're equating a Season Pass=withholding launch content. When evidence of this is available, then I think it's a valid concern, and I get that you don't have any trust in the games industry, but assuming that every Season Pass contains withheld content is not the most balanced way of looking at these things.

As I've said before, Expansion Packs, in the past, were NOT always free. Historically, for Battlefield, they absolutely weren't. I'd be willing to bet that comparing the cost of BF2's expansion pack + booster packs is close, if not equal, to the cost and content of Premium.

It's completely disingenuous to use that argument with developers who have never given any indication of that being the case. Yes, Capcom has had DLC files found on disc, but when has that ever happened with COD or Battlefield?

The first DLC packs for both series generally don't come out for a few months after release. If there is DLC right at launch its likely because of preorder bonuses, which is it's own discussion.

Both series generally launch with around 10 maps and get 16 to 20 more with DLC. How many games in the history of FPSes can you say launched with 30 maps?

Your hate blinds you. You say that you remember when games launched with content. That completely ridiculous. The packaging may be different (expansions vs. DLC) but it's always been this way since the turn of the century. Battlefield 1942, 2, and 2142 all had expansion packs (generally priced at $20) that contained less content than a $15 DLC pack in BF3 and BF4.

My main point is that any value above zero is wrong. This is directly harming one player's experience to benefit another based on fact that one player paid more money. That is a horrible path to start to go down.

And I'll keep repeating this until I get an answer. If the percieved value is so small, then why is it listed as a feature?

There's something wrong with that? If I paid more money than the next guy I should get preferential treatment. You pay $110 for a front row concert ticket should the guy that paid $60 be sitting beside you? Fuck no.

TheContact

Don't have a problem with premium. You get nice stuff plus all expansions. Did it for bf3 and 4. I do not like hardline so meh

The number of people who "don't like this whole genre of games," yet are posting (repeatedly, complete with insults) about how dumb this is... is mystifying.

It seems pretty simple to me: fans of Battlefield tend to play it a *lot*, and for them, the price-to-entertainment-time ratio is worthwhile.

Top Bottom