• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces retail game lineup for April 2014 - March 2015

Good lord EA is getting lazy.

For a megalith that has about 20 dev companies and about 30 studios and another 20 + defunct studios that's just an embarrassing release list.

Tagg9

Battlefield is about 15-18 million so yeah that sounds about right.

I was under the impression that Battlefield 4 sold well below that. Probably about 3 million each on PS3/360, and 1.5 million each on PS4/XB1 (a very generous estimate given the NPD numbers by creamsugar). And let's add in another 1 million on PC (though I suspect it's closer to 750k).

That means BF4 sold ~10 million units worldwide. It's possibly as low as 7 million (see this for reference - http://bf4central.com/2014/05/battlefield-4-sells-7-million-2-still-playing/). Admittedly, Battlefield 3 sold considerably more (15 million by June 2012 according to EA's official press release) but I don't think we should take that number as a baseline. Battlefield 3 was a novelty at the time (in terms of stunning graphics and CoD-esque gameplay that wasn't Call of Duty), and I would guess that they won't be able to recreate that success anytime soon.

Having said all that, though, I'd expect about 1/3 of the people who bought BF4 to buy the spinoff. Franchise fatigue has already set in for the series, and I suspect a large number of the PS4/XB1 purchases were related to lack of launch titles. I also believe that the terrible bug-ridden state of the game at launch hurt the brand.

So I expect about 3 million units. I'm unsure if that makes it worthwhile for EA.

fedexpeon

Banned
Good Lord, that list is like: The worst games you should avoid buying unless you are a sport fan.

Only with a few exceptions, this year for EA looks so bad.
Oh well, money is money.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was under the impression that Battlefield 4 sold well below that. Probably about 3 million each on PS3/360, and 1.5 million each on PS4/XB1 (a very generous estimate given the NPD numbers by creamsugar). And let's add in another 1 million on PC (though I suspect it's closer to 750k).

That means BF4 sold ~10 million units worldwide. It's possibly as low as 7 million (see this for reference - http://bf4central.com/2014/05/battlefield-4-sells-7-million-2-still-playing/). Admittedly, Battlefield 3 sold considerably more (15 million by June 2012 according to EA's official press release) but I don't think we should take that number as a baseline. Battlefield 3 was a novelty at the time (in terms of stunning graphics and CoD-esque gameplay that wasn't Call of Duty), and I would guess that they won't be able to recreate that success anytime soon.

Having said all that, though, I'd expect about 1/3 of the people who bought BF4 to buy the spinoff. Franchise fatigue has already set in for the series, and I suspect a large number of the PS4/XB1 purchases were related to lack of launch titles. I also believe that the terrible bug-ridden state of the game at launch hurt the brand.

So I expect about 3 million units. I'm unsure if that makes it worthwhile for EA.
They said they expect Dragon Age + Sims 4 + UFC + Tiger Woods + World Cup to fill in 2/3rds of the Battlefield 4 hole, and expect World Cup alone to do 2.5 million, so unless they expect the other four titles to sell 4.5 million total that doesn't make sense for Battlefield 4.

Top Bottom