• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Announces Tsumuji, Screenshots Inside

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems EA has announced a new game today called Tsumuji. Apparently it looks a lot like Zelda DS games.

Joystiq said:
Unlike other publishers, EA isn't waiting for Tokyo Game Show to start to reveal their big news. High atop the Mori Tower in Tokyo's luxurious Roppongi Hills, EA Japan has announced a brand new original game. Tsumuji, aka Whirlwind, is a DS-exclusive being produced in Japan.

We're reminded a lot of Celda. The trailer has a big-eyed character running around a top-down field that's reminiscent of A Link to the Past. There will be towns to visit, dungeons to crawl. Like the DS Zelda games, all the action is controlled by the stylus.

We'll be getting hands-on with this game, and a whole slew of other EA titles: Dead Space Extraction, Army of Two: The 40th Day, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Dante's Inferno, Left4Dead 2 and more. Stay tuned for the rest of our pre-TGS coverage.
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/22/ea-japan-announces-tsumuji-for-ds/

Screenshots: (They're from Joystiq so they're a bit compression heavy)

2yjwmrq.jpg

2yju521.jpg

s2vcpd.jpg

2a3y1x.jpg

35a0xo0.jpg

Tiktaalik

Looks shamelessly derivative but hey you gotta start somewhere. I'll give it a shot.

From the conference notes they mentioned the main character pulling out a throwing star and it appears to be set in Japan, so there's an indication of where the game could be focused.

ethelred

EA Japan is pretty crap. They've had three chances at SimCity, one at Theme Park... hell, they even got to take a crack at Populous. And they bungled every attempt. I don't see how they're suddenly going to pull off a good Zelda.

LaneDS

For a second I thought the game was starring one of those ninja girls from the WarioWare series.

Looks interesting, in any case.

farnham

Banned
ethelred said:
EA Japan is pretty crap. They've had three chances at SimCity, one at Theme Park... hell, they even got to take a crack at Populous. And they bungled every attempt. I don't see how they're suddenly going to pull off a good Zelda.
wasnt sim city at least decent..?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks bland and Spirit Tracks is on the horizon.

legend166

I'm surprised there's not more of these. Zelda seems to be pretty much the least imitated 'hardcore' franchise ever. Which sucks.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Why is it that when a new DS (and sometimes Wii) game is announced it's not part of the thread title?

I wouldn't have come in here if it's for a platform I am not interested in... Just saying, it'd be helpful to put (DS) in the thread title next time.

ethelred

Thunderbear said:
Why is it that when a new DS (and sometimes Wii) game is announced it's not part of the thread title?

I wouldn't have come in here if it's for a platform I am not interested in... Just saying, it'd be helpful to put (DS) in the thread title next time.

It's cool that you play platforms instead of games. Me, I think most people tend to be interested in games based on the merits of the games themselves, but it's good that you don't lower yourself to that level!

farnham said:
wasnt sim city at least decent..?

Not really.

legend166 said:
I'm surprised there's not more of these. Zelda seems to be pretty much the least imitated 'hardcore' franchise ever. Which sucks.

There were a ton of Zelda clones in the 16-bit and 32-bit eras. They started dwindling last-gen, though. As far as this game goes, I still don't really see how anyone can say it looks even so much as "interesting" given how bland the artwork is, how lifeless those screenshots are, and given the history of these guys.

Magypsy23

Banned
Thunderbear said:

WOW thx.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So much hate ? Wow... i think it does look pretty cool, its not like there are so many zelda like action-adventures on the ds....

nyprimus2

Resident Evil 4 --> Dead Space Teaser --> GAF cries --> Dead Space releases --> GAF rejoices

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass --> Tsumuji Screenshots --> GAF cries --> Tsumuji releases --> ???

I AM JOHN! said:
And here I was hoping that this was going to be the Suda/Mikami game. :(
that will be horror. I just remembered Q Entertainment is gonna be working on that....and they're working on Rock Band Japan (Probably not :lol :lol )
Q has been quiet

EA Japan? I thought they were disbanded?

It looks like a shameless clone in every single way but hey, there are hardly any (non Zelda) Zelda style action adventure games out there. Shouldn't we be happy that someone else is having a crack at the genre?

Video gives me a bit of a Goemon vibe as well. At least EA is trying something. Western publishers do not try nearly hard enough on the most popular system in the damn world.

JonnyBrad

Thunderbear said:

Ok.

Sipowicz

Banned
looks and sounds pretty terrible, but it's ea on the ds so im not surprised

henry hatsworth was ok but very overrated

upandaway

legend166 said:
Yeah, I don't see the problem with this. Between this, Okami and Neutopia, we've got nothing. I want some damn Zelda clones because god knows they're at least a tiny bit different than what Zelda became recently.

I see a bunch of dudes saying how much it sucks and all we know is "EA" "Zelda clone" and "DS". Geez people.

A typical Tsumuji meeting

Brand new hire(project lead's brother): "Hey I have a great idea for a puzzle."

Project lead: "Yeah?"

Brand new hire(project lead's brother): "Yeah so my kid has this toy where you put shaped blocks in corresponding holes on this ball like thing."

Project lead: "Oh wow really? So what's your idea"

Brand new hire(project lead's brother): "Yeah, so my idea is we can have our character we'll call him Link (just as a placeholder name) and he'll drag these two statues into a corresponding hole in the wall and the player then gets a reward. Also as the game goes on we'll add more stautes and more holes to increase the difficulty!"

Project lead: "Awe man that awesone and freash. PUT THAT IN NOW! Hey Jim can you get on that?"

Ashamed Programmer(Jim): "Link? Statues in holes? Wow that is fresh....."

Project Lead: "I know right"

Ashamed Programmer(Jim): "yep...I'll get right on it sir....*mummbles* I hate my life"

Top Bottom