• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Battlefield 1 hits 19 million players (up 50% from BF4), FIFA 17 hits 21M players

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EA said:
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced preliminary financial results for its fourth fiscal quarter and fiscal year ended March 31, 2017.

”Fiscal 2017 was a milestone year for Electronic Arts, defined by groundbreaking games and live services that delivered more fun and connected more players with their friends," said Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson. ”In Fiscal 2018, we are focused on innovating for our players with extraordinary new experiences across our portfolio, continuing to grow our global network, and extending our reach across new platforms and more ways to play."

”We generated record net sales and operating cash flow in fiscal 2017, driven by our ongoing transition to digital as well as our increasing success with live services," said Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen. ”Our long-term vision, to leverage deep player engagement to drive growth and profitability, is enabling us to execute on our near-term financial goals to increase revenue, earnings and cash generation."

News and ongoing updates regarding EA and its games are available on EA's blog at www.ea.com/news.

Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics:

• Digital net sales* of $3.034 billion for fiscal 2017; this represents 61% of total net sales, up 20% year-over-year.
  • EA was the #1 publisher on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles in the Western World for fiscal 2017, based on available sources and EA estimates.
  • Through the end of FY17, Battlefield™ 1 had more than 19 million players joining the game, a 50% increase over Battlefield 4™ in the comparable period.
  • More than 21 million players have joined FIFA 17 to date including more than 12 million players that have engaged in our new story mode ”The Journey".
  • FIFA Ultimate Team™ had 13% more players year-over-year through the end of Q4.
  • In Q4, average gameplay time per player in STAR WARS™: Galaxy of Heroes reached a new record high of 162 minutes per day.
  • Monthly active users in Q4 for The Sims™ 4 increased 33% year-over-year.
  • * Net sales is defined as the net amount of products and services sold digitally or sold-in physically in the period.
Selected Financial Highlights and Metrics:

All financial measures are presented on a GAAP basis.

• Net cash provided by operating activities for the fourth quarter was $407 million.
  • Net cash provided by operating activities for the fiscal year was a record $1.383 billion.
  • In Q4, EA repurchased 1.5 million shares for $125 million.
  • In fiscal 2017, EA repurchased 6.5 million shares for $508 million.
  • EA announced a new $1.2 billion, two-year stock repurchase program
Source: http://news.ea.com/press-release/co...-q4-fy17-and-full-year-fy17-financial-results

Also looks like Bioware's new IP got pushed out of FY2018

C_aSNp1XoAE42p_

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They could probably use to take their time with the dumpster fire that seems to be going on there lately.

Edit:

Oh it excludes unannounced titles.

BF1 seems completely dead on PC where I am. There are more people playing Bad Company 2 half the time. Such a disappointing game. Constantly dying, spawn camping, lack of weapons, lack of fun tactics with those shitty vehicle tokens.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
50% increase?

so more people sold their version/bought used?

arent there real sales numbers?

It's pretty rare to get solid sales numbers for multiplayer centric titles. See how Ubisoft and Activision announce their sales now.

BF1 seems completely dead on PC where I am. There are more people playing Bad Company 2 half the time. Such a disappointing game. Constantly dying, spawn camping, lack of weapons, lack of fun tactics with those shitty vehicle tokens.

I have it on console, but yeah, I'm probably not buying another battlefield for a bit.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We'll see if it's mentioned in their call, but it's not a top line item.

That said, neither is Madden, and that sells a lot.

By the way, how many minutes/hours till the conference call?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice.

BF1, like BF4 is an incredible game.

Still would like to see BF4 get a bump in resolution.

Though boost mode works wonders, the IQ is hard to tolerate these days.

Kill3r7

Ok, but thanks for killing off Mass Effect, a beloved gaming franchise

How did they kill off Mass Effect? Did they not give the team enough time? Did they not pay their wages? Did they meddle with the development process?

I love Mass Effect but I think EA takes too much flak online for ME:A.

Gurish

It seems like the big publishers just keep getting bigger and bigger, that's the feeling I get after reading all the latest fiscal year reports.

Xyber

Emphasis on where you are then. I have absolutely no problems finding games at any time of the day here in EU.

I do agree with people saying premium passes are what's killing the MP slowly in BF games though. I'll take (almost) whatever lootbox system they might want to add if it meant free maps for everyone.

I hope Battlefront 2 is an indication of what's to come when it comes to the future of premium passes.

Option-

How did they kill off Mass Effect? Did they not give the team enough time? Did they not pay their wages? Did they meddle with the development process?

I love Mass Effect but I think EA takes too much flak online for ME:A.

A bit of research leads you to a the fact that EA deliberatley outsourced animations and other aspects of game dev despite Bioware´s severe concerns.

Apart from that, a 40 milion budget for a massive Sci Fi universe isn´t enough nowadays to ensure a high quality launch.

But yeah, the devs got "dat 5 years" (which includes the pre work mind mapping phase and production planning like in any other game)

legend166

EA is still trying to revive NBA Live?

Oh, from looking at it they basically left 17 in the oven longer and are releasing it as 18?

50% increase?

so more people sold their version/bought used?

arent there real sales numbers?

more and more people buy digital now. and you can't resell your digital copy of the game.
also this is a multiplayer centric titel.

just more people bought / played BF1 compared to BF4

I wish EA would put their American sports games on PC too, I don't know much about the actual sports but I used to love playing NHL/Madden on PS1/PS2 and would like to try them again at some point.

hesido

As a Battlefield fan, through 1942, to BF BC2, to BF3, to BF4, which I sunk immense amount of time, I like the increased interest in the franchise. That said, nowadays, although I own BF1, I play nothing but Overwatch. For some reason, that game made me a "monogameist".

Randam

more and more people buy digital now. and you can't resell your digital copy of the game.
also this is a multiplayer centric titel.

just more people bought / played BF1 compared to BF4

without salesnumbers we don't know that.

and because they don't want to publish real sales, I doubt it sold better.

Top Bottom