• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA breaks promise of including BF 1943 with the PS3 version of BF3

shagg_187 said:
ps3bf35zz5.png

Wat. They already announced at E3 that PS3 is going to get expansion pack earlier ALONGSIDE BF1943.

Fuck you, EA. Glad I paid less than $40 each.

In lieu of getting a free game, we'll be giving you the opportunity to give us more money earlier.

Like that's somehow an equal substitution? Fuck.

snap0212

Zombie James said:
In lieu of getting a free game, we'll be giving you the opportunity to give us more money earlier.

No, that's a straight up lie! The exclusive early access was announce a while back - long before there was any talk about 1943 not being on the disc.

Zombie James said:

It's a called a purchase incentive. Early DLC is a viable selling point for the 360 version of COD over the PS3 version.
Free BF1943 was a purchase incentive, IMO a pretty shitty one. Especially if you already own the game, what do you get then? Nothing at all? Whereas now everyone who buys the PS3 version of BF3 gets DLC early over the 360 version.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Bullshit. That was the tipping point for me to get BF3. Glad I didn't buy it now.

Respect your customers, EA.

Codeblue

Mechanized said:
It's a called a purchase incentive. Early DLC is a viable selling point for the 360 version of COD over the PS3 version.
Free BF1943 was a purchase incentive, IMO a pretty shitty one. Especially if you already own the game, what do you get then? Nothing at all? Whereas now everyone who buys the PS3 version of BF3 gets DLC early over the 360 version.

1943 might have been bad, but making paid content available a week early instead is really dumb. People don't buy CoD on the 360 to get some maps a week early, they play there because that's where their friends are.

Cels

For a while there, EA was thought to have reformed its ways somewhat and Activision was the new bully in the industry. Guess both of them are bad guys now.

Cels said:
For a while there, EA was thought to have reformed its ways somewhat and Activision was the new bully in the industry. Guess both of them are bad guys now.
EA is still way worse when it comes to consumer abuse.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Decarb said:
Wait wait, if EA is giving DLC one week early because there's no 1943, then what the hell is this?

http://m.ign.com/articles/1195983

Exactly. The early access to dlc was already mentioned last month, but NOWHERE does it mention in lieu of free Battlefield 1943.

Who do you think you're fooling EA? We're not exactly the mindless drones you think we are.

Ashes

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Meanwhile on PC

bf32011-10-2523-16-50-vopr.png

:p

It's BS but I can't say I'm upset too much since I already have 1943 on PS3 and went with PC anyways.

I don't think that pic did you justice. Tell me how big it really is.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
cRIPticon said:
Yeah! How dare they cut a free game you have already played, the cutting of which does nothing to diminish the new game you are purchasing! If you feel that strongly you should do exactly what you are doing, voting with your wallet. Good for you.

Except it was too late for some to vote with their wallet, because y'know, EA didn't tell anyone they decided to back out of their promise.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Neuromancer said:
Online passes, for one. They invented them.
That is actually Sony's honor with one of the SOCOM PSP games.

But yes, they did popularize them and spearhead them for console games.

hirokazu

Uh, fuck, that was one of the reasons I ended up ordering it and now they're backing out? Motherfuckers. I could've bought this game next year for cheap.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Going to post a thread asking where the game is on the official forums. We'll see how long it stays there.

Edit: Looks like someone already did. And of course there's a few morons in the thread, trying to give the guy a hard time for inquiring about his promised game.

Agent X

Withnail said:
This is a shitty move. While people can claim this is no big deal it was a pretty sweet incentive, BF1943 is a great game in its own right and it offers something slightly different to BF3. Not everybody owns BF1943 already you know.

I've now cancelled my BF3 preorder. Admittedly I was already thinking of cancelling because the reviews have put me off slightly, but getting BF1943 as well was enough for me to get the game anyway. Now, fuck that. I'll wait till it's heavily discounted if I pick it up at all.

BTW I don't think people can say this is just entitlement when EA and Sony made a big deal of it at E3 and then later neglected to tell anybody that the deal was off. It's a fricking bait and switch.

That's exactly what it is, a bait and switch. Since this is on the record as being promoted at public events and on major gaming Web sites (including Sony's own PlayStation.Blog), then they must deliver on the promise or they are breaking the law.

To be fair, they don't have to be held absolutely to the letter of their word, as long as they made a diligent effort to make it right. If they said "We couldn't put BF1943 on the Blu-ray disc, but here's a free download voucher in the box instead", then I'd say that would be acceptable. If they were afraid of people giving away the voucher to their friends (possibly because they already had BF1943 for themselves), then they could have tied it to the activation of the online pass. I'd even consider that to be acceptable.

However, it looks like they waited until the game was released to say that BF1943 was removed, and that the "early DLC availability" was the substitute. As others have pointed out:

1. The early DLC announcement was made weeks ago, but they did not announce that this was a replacement for BF1943. If that was their intention, then I'm sorry to say that doesn't cut it, because they didn't make that clear at the time. Nothing was said about the BF1943 bonus, and this didn't have any apparent ties to it.

2. Regardless of whether early DLC is a good deal or not (or even potentially a better deal in the eyes of certain people), the point is that it's not what was originally promised.

Even if some people here think "not everyone wants BF1943", you as an individual don't speak for "everyone". Any percentage of people could feel this is a great deal. If at least one person in the world feels that BF1943's inclusion was a worthwhile incentive to get BF3, and was subsequently disappointed by its absence, then it doesn't matter what other deals were put into place--EA has already committed the ol' bait and switch.

If they yanked it because they were afraid it's a noticeably smaller or inferior game to BF3 and/or that they'd have to sustain the servers longer than they originally planned to...well, that's not an excuse, either. They could toss the BF1943 voucher in the box, wait the requisite 90 days after release, then pull the BF1943 servers offline forever and ever, Amen. At least they'd have fulfilled their original promise of allowing people to get what was originally offered to them.

I didn't get BF3, but anyone who got the game and feels like they got scammed should find some outlet to complain. I'm hoping the media makes a big deal about this and holds EA's feet to the fire (and Sony's as well, since they helped cross-promote this), because if this is allowed to pass with no ramifications to EA/Sony, then we as consumers could be sliding further down the slippery slope.

I already owned 1943 anyway, but how about you get rid of the ridiculous online pass EA!

Not only did PS3 owners get fooled, now 360 and PC players have to wait for the expansions.
-__-

ace3skoot

I don't really care as i have BF3 to keep me busy and generally i comepletely forgot about it, but i understand why people upset and its pretty poor play by EA/Dice i think they should at least fess up and acknowledge wrong doing.

Top Bottom