• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA buys Codemasters for $1.2 billion

yurinka

When the F1 license was up for renewal, EA wanted no part of it. I'm sure if they did they could have easily outbid a UK developer.
Maybe they changed their mind, because as of now it's the most valuable thing Codemaster has. Even if F1 game sales are laughable compared to other sports or racing games from EA. I think F1 it's only a small part of a way bigger strategy for EA.

I assume than other than specific F1 license, what they want to do is to expand their very successful formula of the main sports games (soccer, american football...) to the racing: license all the main big real competitions, athletes, or related brands (cars, clothes, etc), put a huge budget and marketing nobody else can match, add a pretty good gameplay and throw some lootbox bullshit on top.

With F1 in this game, with a rally game using WRC brand (I think Codemaster got the rights for somewhere in the future) and then related licenses for the other ones in Project Cars -simulator- and Need for Speed -arcade-.

Other than NBA2K they basically would get the monopoly of all 3rd party sports and racing games (so outside Mario Kart, Forza and Gran Turismo) both for game sales and subscriptions. That would put EA in a better position when negotiating stuff with platform holders or retailers for these and the other EA games.

Like when going to Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Apple or Google to ask them to feature in their shops or to make bundles with let's say smaller EA games that don't get their attention. Hey, do you want to continue getting all that money from all the main sports, racing and Star Wars games on your platform? Then highlight more this EA game that didn't sell very well in your digital store, youtube channel, blog or console bundles. If you don't do it maybe I don't release at least some of these key EA games in your platform and will highlight them on the other one.

Do you want to have all the main sports, racing and Star Wars games on your game subscription? Then pay me way more and not just for them but also for all the other games included in EA Play. If you don't do it maybe I don't release at least some of these key EA games in your platform and will highlight them on the other one.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
F1 and Dirt Rally 2 are their best games so I hope they continue. Grid and Dirt 5 releases were pretty bad, both missing features every previous Codemasters games had at launch. Maybe the extra money will help them in that regard.

GrayFoxPL

The F1 games are going to die.

Shame. They seem to finally be making some noise with that series
F1 Extreme with rally and drift events incoming.

formula 1 racing GIF by George Russell

Top Bottom