• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms Anthem for March 2019

I bought 2 EA games since ME2 (TF2 and DA:I for 5 euro) and somehow I'm still swimming in backlog of good single player games that aren't designed to bleed players dry with forced multi.

And yet, here you are. This game looks to be fun, that's all I care about and I never buy any microtransactions.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I'm surprised to see such low interest over Anthem. I think the design and appeal are quite decent.

HOWEVER, I'm personally dodging it because I can't stand offcentered cameras.

Redshirt

Banned
There's definitely a certain appeal to it. Flying around and blasting stuff like Iron Man seems pretty cool.

But here's why I think interest may be low (and I'm not sure it actually is. GAF isn't always the best barometer for this kind of thing):

EA. When Andromeda was received poorly, EA cut and ran.

Competition. Division comes out two weeks later.

The perception that BioWare is no longer BioWare.

What was shown at E3 was too little for a massive game that launches in under a year.

It seems a little too much like Destiny.

The EA/BioWare marketing spiel seems a little too much like Activision/Bungie's run up to the Destiny launch.

Night.Ninja

Banned
At the moment its day 1 looks so good, I just hope the game is challenging with four players

Its the one game I would mind buying DLC for if it was things like extended areas

iHaunter

Imma pass. No proof that it's played on Consoles with those graphics. It's an EA game so it'll be downgraded and riddled with Microtransactions. Pass.

Redshirt

Banned
Question: Can you play the whole game alone and without paying live gold?

BioWare said you can play most of the game alone. There are Destiny-style raids that can only be accessed in a four-person group.

It's an online-only game like Destiny so you do need an active XBL/PSN sub.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
anthem-world-map.jpg

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.dualshockers.com/anthem-details-co-op-solo/

When players defeat an enemy in co-op, loot is instanced. Basically, it’s not shared, and each player gets their own.

We also learn that you actually need four players to do the Stronghold endgame activity. You can’t go solo or with an incomplete squad. That being said, there is matchmaking, so finding people to go with shouldn’t be an issue.

Strongholds are not part of the campaign, but they’re high-difficulty endgame experiences. Story missions can be played solo. They’re easier with a group of four, but they adjust automatically depending on group size. Missions are “relatively linear.” On the other hand, free play is “wide open.”

When you complete a mission with a group, you remain linked even after you go back to your base. This means that if you want to go do something else with the same people afterward, you can do so without having to redo the party.

Players will be able to create different freelancers on the same account, so you won’t be limited to a single persona if you’d like to have alts.

Last, but not least, Gear can be used across multiple loadouts so you won’t need multiple copies if you want to use the same piece of gear across different equipment sets. Gear is specific to each kind of Javelin.

EDMIX

https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/23/anthem-beta-demo/

Well, I think there’s some weirdness in there. We’re going to be testing the game in closed alphas, and then the stuff that is out to the public is a demo.

Nice. I can't wait to play, I want to see how the game feels as everyone stated the flying feels soooooo good. Will strongly depend on how it controls in terms of me buying it, but so far its different enough to be a day 1 for me.

Hudo

I still don't quite understand why Bioware were chosen by EA management to do this game. Wouldn't DICE have been the better choice? They are the premier multiplayer dev at EA and also have the most experience with Frostbite.

EDMIX

I still don't quite understand why Bioware were chosen by EA management to do this game. Wouldn't DICE have been the better choice? They are the premier multiplayer dev at EA and also have the most experience with Frostbite.

? Wasn't this created from within Bioware?

https://gamingbolt.com/biowares-anthem-has-been-in-development-for-five-years

So it was created by Bioware internally as an idea 5 years ago, wasn't created by EA and then contracted to Bioware or hired for Bioware etc

Hudo

? Wasn't this created from within Bioware?

https://gamingbolt.com/biowares-anthem-has-been-in-development-for-five-years

So it was created by Bioware internally as an idea 5 years ago, wasn't created by EA and then contracted to Bioware or hired for Bioware etc
Yeah, it was. But it seems like such an important project that I would've handed it over to DICE with Bioware as consulting entity (Story and world building). Well...I just hope it works out. I don't want to see Bioware go under, that's all.

EDMIX

Yeah, it was. But it seems like such an important project that I would've handed it over to DICE with Bioware as consulting entity (Story and world building). Well...I just hope it works out. I don't want to see Bioware go under, that's all.

huh? Why would Bioware hand their game over to another team? Are you saying you'd want both teams to collaborate? If so, I still trust Bioware to create a fun 3rd personal shooter RPG as they did a great job with Mass Effect series. So if they created the game, I'm sure they are the ones that know what they are aiming for, lets at least wait til it releases before seeing if another team could have pulled the concept off better.

It is after all their idea in the first place.

Hudo

huh? Why would Bioware hand their game over to another team? Are you saying you'd want both teams to collaborate? If so, I still trust Bioware to create a fun 3rd personal shooter RPG as they did a great job with Mass Effect series. So if they created the game, I'm sure they are the ones that know what they are aiming for, lets at least wait til it releases before seeing if another team could have pulled the concept off better.

It is after all their idea in the first place.
Well, EA management ultimately decides on projects. For example, whatever Visceral Games was working on has been transferred to EA Montreal/EA Motive, as far as I know and Visceral was also assigned with Battlefield: Hardline, etc. But what I actually meant was a collaboration, yeah. Mass Effect 2 is one of my favourite games of all time but Bioware has also disappointed me with their last couple of releases (Dragon Age II, Dragon Age: Inquisition and Mass Effect: Andromeda, which was not as bad, but still mediocre when compared to the first three...).

I know that Hudson et al. are saying that Bioware is not in any danger, but the same was said about Origin Systems (and they had a money maker: Ultima Online) or Westwood Studios or Maxis (and they've made one of the most successful franchises of all time). I'm worried, that's all. And it didn't help that their marketing of Anthem doesn't seem well thought out (the whole EA E3 conference was a disaster).

Redshirt

Banned

It probably isn't feasible with DICE overseeing both Battlefield and Battlefront. Plus, I think DICE would be about as well equipped for this transition as Bungie was.

Not that I'm bullish about BioWare pulling this off, but I'm replaying ME2 now, and it makes me hopeful at least.

Hudo

It probably isn't feasible with DICE overseeing both Battlefield and Battlefront. Plus, I think DICE would be about as well equipped for this transition as Bungie was.

Not that I'm bullish about BioWare pulling this off, but I'm replaying ME2 now, and it makes me hopeful at least.
Ah, I wasn't thinking about that. You've got a good point. Do we know when the Star Wars license is due for renewal? I'm not so sure if Disney want to license Star Wars out exclusively to one developer again...

Ah, I wasn't thinking about that. You've got a good point. Do we know when the Star Wars license is due for renewal? I'm not so sure if Disney want to license Star Wars out exclusively to one developer again...

Publisher, not developer. Disney probably saw how well EA is handling the sports licences and deducted that EA could handle this too.

Didn't EA licence Star Wars for 10 years? For 500M$?

Other than that I don't think BioWare is toast. Anthem will be a failure I'm sure (not so much for a lack of player base, but because the dev cost was too high) but after a massive down sizing EA will probably focus BioWare on the Dragen Age franchise.

Redshirt

Banned
Well, the executive producer said cosmetics only and no blind draws.

That's sounds pretty good. But there may be a crapton of paid DLC as with Destiny.

Hoping for more of the model Ubi is using with the Division 2 (all DLC free.)

Inviusx

This game bums me out. I wish they would've waited and made it a next gen title. Now that we've seen just about the limit of what current gen can do (in terms of games like this, Destiny/The Division) it's too easy to predict exactly what type of game Anthem will be.

Shared hub of 16 players, maybe small open shared world levels with drop in drop out players. Designed around 4-8 player parties with a narrative arc and raids. Always online required.

Essentially we are going to get Biowares spin on Destiny but from a technical level it's either going to be the same as Destiny 2 or worse.

Sygma

This game bums me out. I wish they would've waited and made it a next gen title. Now that we've seen just about the limit of what current gen can do (in terms of games like this, Destiny/The Division) it's too easy to predict exactly what type of game Anthem will be.

Shared hub of 16 players, maybe small open shared world levels with drop in drop out players. Designed around 4-8 player parties with a narrative arc and raids. Always online required.

Essentially we are going to get Biowares spin on Destiny but from a technical level it's either going to be the same as Destiny 2 or worse.

on a technical level its going to out do any other 3rd person online game out there, since frostbite is quite easily the best used / looking engine. And what they showed so far simply melted eyeballs left and right, especially in 4k. Didn't think a game could do better than Division anytime soon but here we are

Last edited:

Lunk

I mean, the way they handled ME:A I'm glad they've given the series a rest (for now, at least). But how is cloning Destiny/Division "moving onto bigger ideas"?
Do you think EA upper management cares about the scrutiny here? To them a bigger idea is the one with the biggest audience, by chasing a fad.

I was let down by Andromeda as much as the next guy but I gotta give credit where credit is due: EA or Patrick Soderlund somehow allowed the modern, shittier, BioWare (and I guess BW Montreal, rip) to goof around with entirely new ideas and ambitious scope for a single-player game. I know it had multiplayer and Andrew Wilson was probably like "aw yeah, gimme that ME3 multiplayer lootbox fiesta round two and billions of $$$ from 'our players'" but really, just the main portion of the game - its singleplayer - was as ambitious as Mass Effect 1 in its technical scope and in many ways I think it did pay off if it wasn't for the total lack of polish due to the game reaching its very last possible deadline in 2017. It was really like "wow, can they do this??" after ME3 and even DAI and its fetch quest bore. Andromeda actually implemented more proper cinedesign and a pretty substantial plot regardless of how people felt emotionally or in regards to decisions made surrounding the lack of new alien species. I'm replaying it right now and I'm pretty stoked at how methodical the plot actually is throughout just the first part with each mission following the exposition given and not DA:I where the plot disappears for longer durations or ME3 where it's just contrivance on contrivance.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Last month of the last quarter means it will be released then for accounting purposes regardless of the state of the game. I will take a wait and see approach for sure. I have more faith in The Division 2.

Top Bottom