• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA confirms Mass Effect Andromeda will be out in Q1 2017

Vinc

Big year ahead indeed. Looking at that lineup gives me chills. Can't wait for all of these save for maybe Battlefield. But if it's actually a world war shooter I'd definitely be in.

I think Shinobi was the only one who still thought it could release this year (sorry lol). The writing's been on the wall for awhile now and they heavily implied a delay in their last investor's call..
Heh, well, there's a reason for that. I was told from the horse's mouth that they're tackling the game Fallout 4 style. Not in design or anything of course, but in marketing and reveal->release window. Nothing now and then everything at E3, release in the holiday. This has nothing to do with "lol they haven't shown anything so it was impossible it was coming out this year!"

Granted the E3 coming out party is still the case but I was never adamant it was this holiday or else. Early 2017 should do mighty well for it. Anyway, this is more for EA's scheduling purposes than anything else, the game is well on track. More polish is always great too!

th4tguy

It gives me hope that they are putting in a lot of effort to really make a great game based off the time it's taking to get it out. However, we had three ME games last gen. Well only have 1-2 this gen. Switching engines is a pain and I can't help but wonder if this is also a sign of that.

Weebos

Banned
Not surprising, take as much time as you need.

I love the trilogy but I can't help being apprehensive about this one.

MrToast

I wonder if it'll be an option at all to import a Mass Effect 3 save that could possibly affect or unlock certain things in the new game?

Patryn

I wonder if it'll be an option at all to import a Mass Effect 3 save that could possibly affect or unlock certain things in the new game?

Probably an all but non-existent chance.

If they do have import of some kind (which I suspect is highly, highly unlikely), it'll probably be done with something akin to the Dragon Age Keep.

But I get the sense that they're trying to get a fresh break from the trilogy in this one, hence it being set in a new galaxy and explicitly not being a sequel.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hoping that with all the time they've spent that this will be part one and we'll get annual sequels after that.

They won't finish a trilogy this gen otherwise.

Banned
Oh don't worry, based on the the thus far accurate survey leak, I'm sure there will be 80 hours of content.

Hundreds of star systems

Loot collection

Item crafting

Bases to raid

Colony building + real time strike team metagame layer

There's gonna be so much content you'll wish it would stop.
I'll never wish it'll stop. I never want it to end.

Oh don't worry, based on the the thus far accurate survey leak, I'm sure there will be 80 hours of content.

Hundreds of star systems

Loot collection

Item crafting

Bases to raid

Colony building + real time strike team metagame layer

There's gonna be so much content you'll wish it would stop.
If it's anything like DA: Inquisition, opening the journal will be like
qE2ATOp.gif

The fact that Titanfall 2 may release this year pretty much confirms that Battlefield will be a WW1 shooter, no way they would release 2 near future games near each other. YES titanfall is sci fi but the guns are guns

Yep, this exactly. I had always felt EA would never release those so close, but if the WW1 rumor is true, it makes total sense. Two very different genres.

This doesn't bother me at all.

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 for the first time right now (played 1 about 4 months ago) and I'm LOVING this game so far. I'll play 3 probably this summer. Looking forward to more.

I hope the dev team played both Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3, saw the parts of Witcher 3 that were infinitely better than DAI, and didn't make the same mistakes.

Don't make the main character a mats grinder, let them have minions for that after a certain point.

Give characters strong opinions and POVs, don't water everything down to avoid offending someone. If people on your design team are not angry or offended by a character or two, you are probably making a boring game.

Don't make your game a meditative experience where you just hang out grinding and exploring, have shocking story beats and characters you love AND characters/NPCs you hate.

Don't spend all your damn time trying to dot romance sub plots between every single character.

Honest question - are any of the major devs that worked on the original trilogy working on this game?

Hard to get too pumped when Casey Hudson isn't even involved.

I hope the dev team played both Dragon Age Inquisition and Witcher 3, saw the parts of Witcher 3 that were infinitely better than DAI, and didn't make the same mistakes.

Yeah, specifically I do NOT want giant Inquisition-style zones that take hours to explore, but don't actually have any story events or interesting quests or really anything at all happening in them.

Don't spend all your damn time trying to dot romance sub plots between every single character.

I DO want them to expend all their effort on romance plots though. ;)

Lime

There have been no CGI trailers. They released an in engine trailer using game assets.

IIRC all trailers were using Frostbite. The last time EA did this was with Battlefront and the graphics were on point.

You're not going to see that level of IQ and animation complexity in the actual game. The trailer is clearly not representative of the product.

diaspora

You're not going to see that level of IQ and animation complexity in the actual game. The trailer is clearly not representative of the product.

But you did in Battlefront, so there's little reason why they wouldn't be able to do it here.
Do we know which writers are on it? I never bothered to check. I hope Patrick Weeks is on the team. I wish Chris L'Etoile was still at BioWare.

I doubt Weekes would be on it now that he's DA's lead writer.

I need that gif of the guy throwing the computer into the dumpster, because that's how I feel right now. This was the only good game I was excited for this year, aside from maybe Gears of War 4.

Ralemont

not me
Do we know which writers are on it? I never bothered to check. I hope Patrick Weeks is on the team. I wish Chris L'Etoile was still at BioWare.

We know a few. Weekes is the DA lead writer so he's perma on DA now, but John Dombrow (Tuchanka arc, Javik, Garrus) is back as a senior writer. Chris Schlerf just left but we know he was writing on it.

Ralemont

not me
Damn, that's some good shit.

Yeah, he also did Thessia which I loved but I know some are lukewarm about. That's mostly due to Kai Leng, though, which isn't his fault.

I'm secretly hoping he'll be promoted to new lead writer in Schlerf's absence. Which isn't a secret anymore I guess.

diaspora

Yeah, he also did Thessia which I loved but I know some are lukewarm about. That's mostly due to Kai Leng, though, which isn't his fault.

I'm secretly hoping he'll be promoted to new lead writer in Schlerf's absence. Which isn't a secret anymore I guess.

Leng is shit, but Thessia I thought was fucking amazing in spite of that. The way it leads up to your complete and utter defeat, as well as the immediate aftermath when returning to the Normandy was so good.

diaspora

ME1 you mean. Right?

No, ME3 was better in every respect as far as RPG gameplay mechanics are concerned. The balancing between weapons, weapon mods, class weight capacity, and power cooldowns destroys whatever inconsequential nonsense ME1 had peddled initially.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is RPG of the year then?

I guess the competition for Uncharted 4 when it comes to game of the year has significantly decreased now. I was really expecting a war between Mass Effect Andromeda and Uncharted 4 emulating the Grand Theft Auto 5 vs The Last of Us battle.

Best wishes.

Top Bottom