• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA deserves some credit

jamesb23

Nowadays it seems kinda fashionable to bash EA, but lately they've made a believer out of me. I've never been a big EA fan, but looking back at this summer I think I played two games more than anything else: MVP Baseball 2004 and Fight Night.

Baseball is a passion of mine and last year WSB2K3 was my all-time fav, but I just fell in love with MVP; ESPN MLB, although quite decent, just wasn't as enjoyable as MVP. If they can tweak some things, especially the lefty top spin glitch and the circus acrobat diving fielders, the game will be amazing next year.

As for Fight Night, I haven't had this much fun with a boxing game since Punch Out and Super Punch-Out. I realize it's a different style altogether because Fight Night attempts to imitate real boxing, but it has just enough of an arcade feel to it to make it really enjoyable. Bobbing, weaving, blocking, and countering is just very intuitive in the game. My only regret is not getting the PS2 version, because this game must be awesome to play online.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The only thing good to come out of EA this generation is SSX, imo. I'm not too big on sports games, although NBA Street Vol. 2 was actually pretty decent too

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
EA are pretty good. I'm not a fan necessarily, but they publish some nice stuff.

However, when I look at games like Catwoman and how poorly they're treating Goldeneye 2 (especially after the excellent treatment Everything or Nothing got), they don't half piss me off.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I am sure if you tried hard enough you can find good things about serial rapists too, but is that enough for you to forgot that they are still rapists in the first place?

cvxfreak

EA Sports is a great studio, but it gets tiresome to see their unoriginal games sell tons every month and year, especially at full price. Most other EA games have been subpar in my opinion, but games like Everything or Nothing have been good.

Che

Banned
Society said:
I am sure if you tried hard enough you can find good things about serial rappists, but is that enough for you to forgot that they are still rappists in the first place?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

akascream

Banned
I am sure if you tried hard enough you can find good things about serial rappists, but is that enough for you to forgot that they are still rappists in the first place?

that made me lol!!!.. holy shit :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I really like Freedom Fighters, the SSX series, and some of their LotR games.

That said, I still hate them. :)

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
There are few publishers that have a higher quotient of games that are generally considered to be good. Catwoman is the first true piece of garbage EA has released in quite a while. The last true stinker from EA (that I remember) is 007 Racing for the PlayStation.

Joe

from the outside looking in they deserve a ton of credit. it's not easy to do what they are doing. as a consumer that's a different story, that's all opinions.

Joe

i'd say the internet hate on ea is mostly because they're a western powerhouse (same thing applies to ms).

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I agree, EA has made me a believer within the passed year or so. Madden, Fight Night, MVP Baseball, and now Madden 2005. Their online play is slick, and they really pack their titles to the gills with options. The only misstep so far is NCAA Fotball 2005.

(Note: I only care for EA Sports games.)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Well, Fight night is just a liscensed rip off of victorious boxers (with a little extra punch mechanics and a super horrible announcer)

and dont forget shitty games like lord of the rings and catwoman.

sp0rsk said:
Well, Fight night is just a liscensed rip off of victorious boxers (with a little extra punch mechanics and a super horrible announcer)

and dont forget shitty games like lord of the rings and catwoman.
you're just mad because 2/3rds of those games feature negros!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Personally, Konami is my VIP of the past few years, I think I'm beginning to own more Konami games than any other.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ea trax more than negates any credit they might deserve for their games.

and i don't think they deserve any credit for their games.

EA get a thumbs up in my book,mainly because I play MVP around the clock. God bless Sega but bleh,I bought ESPN 2004 BaseBall and I felt let down. It played ok but MVP is another thing alltogether in my book. It wouldn't even be worth mentioning these two in the same breath if MVP had put Live Play into the Xbox version. I really wish they would have done that.

Next year baby.

kamikaze

Warm Machine said:
MVP has a different game designer for next years game so fingers crossed.

any idea what this designer's name is? curious if he was a former high heat guy (i know 2 of mvp 2004's programmers were ex-high heat).

i was enjoying mvp 2004 until i ran into the bug where none of the new minor leaguers became good (and not great) until their late 20s/early 30s which kind of ruined it for me...how do you build your farm system if you can't get a good year from them until they're almost 30? that basically killed the game for me as i like to play/sim through 10+ seasons.

DMczaf

Warm Machine said:
MVP has a different game designer for next years game so fingers crossed.

Seriously? I hope so. EA Canada let A LOT of bugs through. I wonder if this is the reason why.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i'd almost dare to say that its 100% guaranteed that EA trax is the absolute worse thing to happen to the industry this gen. The forcing of the MTV/billboard pop culture upon gamers is just a horrible horrible thing.

jamesb23

I don't know, the EA Trax stuff doesn't bother me that much. I'm not saying I'm a fan, but I play the game to have fun, not listen to music.

BTW, speaking of High Heat, has there been any word at all out of MS on what they're planning to do with the license?

DMczaf said:
Seriously? I hope so. EA Canada let A LOT of bugs through. I wonder if this is the reason why.

Nope that isn't the reason at all. Most bugs in an EA game get through because of the short schedules involved turning a game over in a year and jamming in everything the fans want.

The designer of the last two MVP games has moved to head up another team to work on a fresh title. Previously he had designed Sega Soccer Slam. I don't know who the new guy is.

Matlock

Banned
EA Trax rocks, screw the haters!

Even moreso, most games give you an option for another soundtrack altogether, so meh. :p

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

You're reaching...

Top Bottom