• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA disabling purchased copies of Rock Band iOS? [Yes / No / Maybe / Bear's Driving!]

I'm in the "refusing-to-believe-that-this-could-be-possible"-camp. The thing is, I'm getting to the point where every imaginable insult to the customer appears to be plausible. Sad days.

That needs to change.

Unless we're getting definitive legislation on ownership and customer rights for Digital Distribution, we're shit out of luck, and anyone remains the publishers bitch with DD.

It's a sad fact, but I expecct shit like this to happen more often.

Interestingly, it might be exactly this kind of actions that might bring legislation in favor of consumers.

saunderez

I've seen other music game apps where you buy credits and use those credits to play a song a certain number of times, as opposed to keeping them forever. I wonder if maybe EA plans to move to that model.

It doesn't really matter what model they move to, they're gonna lose every single customer that actually purchased this game. Not many people are going to be stupid enough to risk this happening again in a couple/few years time.

I'd like to know how long that message has lived in the code, waiting to activate with that prompt.

For a company that won't patch the games that need them, they'll go the distance to update them with messages to let users know the end is nigh?

Unless we're getting definitive legislation on ownership and customer rights for Digital Distribution, we're shit out of luck, and anyone remains the publishers bitch with DD.
We need to establish a digital ownership Bill of Rights like yesterday. Property itself is becoming a service, and that changes everything. My only worry is that the current climate seems a horrible one in which to make these decisions.

This being fake would complete the trifecta of crappy threads the op has made over the last couple of days, so I'll go with fake.

I dont think they can do that. Is it confirmed real?

Nothing is confirmed outside of that forum post. But the fact Harmonix's community manager isn't acting like it's an impossibility means I'm gonna assume it's real until proven wrong. It's a really weird thing for somebody to Photoshop and make a troll thread about.

Forsythia

So wait, instead of shutting down servers for a game no one plays anymore, they can even shutdown an offline game? WTF?

FStop7

Banned
So wait, instead of shutting down servers for a game no one plays anymore, they can even shutdown an offline game? WTF?

I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised by this. Haven't there been enough warning signs? Hopefully it's not legit but it certainly would not surprise me if it were real.

No, which is why I'm confused exactly how it can work. The wording is certainly fairly concrete, but how do you stop apps with the app already installed from using it when it currently works when offline?

From what I can tell, it's pretty much EA giving a heads up (in a really weird way) that they are gonna pull the app soon.

FyreWulff

They better not fuck with the main versions.

They better not.

MadCatz took over mainline Rock Band. EA just handles instrument warranties now.

It should be noted that all 3 console platforms just went through a big legal/relicensing change that resulted in PS3 (and almost Wii) DLC being stopped for a bit before it returned for next week. I wonder if this version just fell through the cracks.

Also, this just barely satisfies the 30 day warning for shutdowns that EA has in the manuals/license.

I'd like to know how long that message has lived in the code, waiting to activate with that prompt.

For a company that won't patch the games that need them, they'll go the distance to update them with messages to let users know the end is nigh?

I believe that's built into iOS, is it not?

SmokyDave

You don't buy EA games, you borrow them.

The app reviews suggest you are able to pay for DLC, but it doesn't actually work. Hilarious.

You don't buy EA games, you borrow them.

Da3Hu.jpg

EDIT: Haha just noticed the grammar. Fuck it.

i won't pretend to be on some moral high ground regarding boycotting ea games, but when i do pinch my nose and buy one you better believe it's at a massive discount

Eusis

i won't pretend to be on some moral high ground regarding boycotting ea games, but when i do pinch my nose and buy one you better believe it's at a massive discount
This is what I usually do with companies that pull bullshit yet put out games I want JUUUUST enough. Though honestly EA games rarely interested me, only during that brief moment they were shaping up, and it looks like they'll return to that apathy void. Too bad more people don't feel that way, otherwise they'd probably be struggling to do business.

A.KU.MU

Banned
When will people learn? You're not buying the game, you're just renting the license to play it. This one of the reasons why I never "buy" DD games.

Joni

I'm guessing the cluster of legal rights has gotten them. Both EA and MTV have severed all ties with the Rock Band franchise, while MadCatz has taken over. It could be a problem between one of those three companies. Also, it might not be EA's fault because in the end MTV was the franchise owner.

I'm surprised that anyone would be surprised by this. Haven't there been enough warning signs? Hopefully it's not legit but it certainly would not surprise me if it were real.

surprised they are pulling th app from the store? no.

surprised that they are going to deactivate existing games? yes.

Card Boy

Banned
My rule of thumb with EA iOS titles is never buy. My golden rule for EA console or PC titles is 5 dollar or bust. So far Mass Effect 1 and 2 has cost me 10 bucks all up.

Never support this shit company please, I'm begging you people.

I had a joke about Nazis and EA but I will hold my tongue haha.

saunderez

Now that I think about it, the few EA games I've purchased on Android have been barely supported and won't even install game data on my unofficial devices. I'm done supporting them in the mobile space thats for sure.

Now that I think about it, the few EA games I've purchased on Android have been barely supported and won't even install game data on my unofficial devices. I'm done supporting them in the mobile space thats for sure.

The one iOS game I have from them, monopoly, crashes all the time, runs poorly, and only gets updated to add more ads to it. Pure garbage.

saunderez

The one iOS game I have from them, monopoly, crashes all the time, runs poorly, and only gets updated to add more ads to it. Pure garbage.

At least you can play it, I can't even download the game data for EA games on my HP Touchpad, it appears their servers do some bullshit device checking and refuse to send data to anything not on their list. Monopoly makes my SGS2 lock up as well, their incompetence in the mobile space is unbelievable.

At least you can play it, I can't even download the game data for EA games on my HP Touchpad, it appears their servers do some bullshit device checking and refuse to send data to anything not on their list. Monopoly makes my SGS2 lock up as well, their incompetence in the mobile space is unbelievable.

So you're mad that you can get an Android game to run on a device that was never designed to be installed on? As much as I hate EA, I don't really think you can fault them for not supporting a hacked rom installed onto a random device.

"Hey guys, I have a plan to save us from bankruptcy! All we have to do is destroy why we're a company in the first place!"

I'd like to take full credit for spitballing this one with Johnny R. in Thailand.

He's faster than a speedy maniac!

Who told you they pay me in speed?

Top Bottom