• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA disabling purchased copies of Rock Band iOS? [Yes / No / Maybe / Bear's Driving!]

Yay pirates!

One of the few groups who are actually building a catalog for future generations. /sarcasm

Still sucks that EA offers the game still, I hope they put a message in the purchase text where this date is stated, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

A.KU.MU

Banned
Why does it not surprise me that DD haters come out in full force and knock DD as a ripoff. These kinds of people need to accept that probably in another 10 years games will most likely be pure digital download?

It is a ripoff.

Do you want proof?

Just have a look at this thread.

I for one will stop playing video games if DD becomes the only alternative.

-PXG-

Why is everyone conflating DD in general with this one, specific, heinous publisher?

Everything has to start somewhere, right. I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, or that every publisher out there are assholes. But it's just something consumers should be aware of.

This is probably due to music licensing or expiration of some kind of contract with Harmonix. I don't know. Still, guess who gets fucked in the end? We do :/

SmokyDave

Everything has to start somewhere, right. I'm not saying it's definitely going to happen, or that every publisher out there are assholes. But it's just something consumers should be aware of.

This is probably due to music licensing or expiration of some kind of contract with Harmonix. I don't know. Still, guess who gets fucked in the end? We do :/
I just find it odd that people think all DD is doomed because EA are shite. That doesn't make any sense. DD games from EA are doomed, nothing more.

What makes you say other publishers won't follow?
The fact that it's extremely unpopular and appears to be doing nothing for EA's bottom line.

What makes you think they will?

Jb

The fact that it's extremely unpopular and appears to be doing nothing for EA's bottom line.

What makes you think they will?

I doubt the backlash for this type of product will be strong enough to discourage them from doing it again. Remember the online pass? Day one DLC? The uproar was way worse and it sure as hell didn't stop them.

I think it's also a shitty move on Apple's part to allow this stuff. Say what you want about MS or Sony, but they didn't allow this garbage on their services.

Eusis

I just find it odd that people think all DD is doomed because EA are shite. That doesn't make any sense. DD games from EA are doomed, nothing more.
There'll always be the concern that more publishers start doing the same stuff, quite a few hated practices HAVE spread like crazy. But then my primary beef is with a 100% DD future, so long as a mixed approach is used within reason I won't mind as much, some things are just more practical through DD, not to mention it's great to have a choice when applicable.

And yeah, I suspect this is mainly due to expiring deals, but in some ways that's worse: that they may be contractually obligated to kill support for single player play rather than just not sell the game anymore. If stuff like that isn't stopped it can have really bad consequences in the future.

SmokyDave

I doubt the backlash for this type of product will be strong enough to discourage them from doing it again. Remember the online pass? Day one DLC? The uproar was way worse and it sure as hell didn't stop them.
That's very true, although I'm able to regularly buy games that don't have an online pass or day-one DLC.

I think it's also a shitty move on Apple's part to allow this stuff. Say what you want about MS or Sony, but they didn't allow this garbage on their services.

If we're playing the slippery slope game, I'd say that the fact you can buy EA games with gimped multiplayer or DLC means that it's only a matter of time until EA disable some console games.

Again though, the problem is EA. Not Sony, MS, Apple or Digital Distribution, it's EA.

There'll always be the concern that more publishers start doing the same stuff, quite a few hated practices HAVE spread like crazy. But then my primary beef is with a 100% DD future, so long as a mixed approach is used within reason I won't mind as much, some things are just more practical through DD, not to mention it's great to have a choice when applicable.

And yeah, I suspect this is mainly due to expiring deals, but in some ways that's worse: that they may be contractually obligated to kill support for single player play rather than just not sell the game anymore. If stuff like that isn't stopped it can have really bad consequences in the future.
I can understand that. I'm all in favour of DD but I'd rather people were given the choice wherever possible. Physical media means an awful lot to some people, and with good reason.

Gowans

Disgusting, should not be allowed by

The Platform Holder
The Service
Customers Rights

I hope a shit storm falls out of this and people complain to their appropriate business and customer protection authorities.

Bleepey

Digital downloadable games you don't actually own!

Physical game discs that you cannot trade in because they are now single use only!

Fuck the customer, the future is now!

I can't wait for when the new consoles launch and you'll be unable to transfer your purchases for old-ass arcade ROM's because of 'technical incompatibilities' but it's okay guys because they'll have those beloved classics available on the Store 2.0 at competitive prices and maybe with an additional blurry filter effect.

it's funny cos it's true. Look at what happened with backwards compatibility.

Haunted

Guys, guys.

Gamers just have too much power. It's high time the underdog EA is starting to fight back against the oppression of the customer.

They also realized that they are well within their rights to pull this shit. DD, means no rights on ownership. The contract was deemed over by the licensing party (EA) and that's that.

For those suggesting a Class Action Lawsuit. There is no legal ground to stay on. DD doesn't grant you indefinite access to the stuff you paid for, you're by agreement allowed to use it.

In the US this agreement might actually hold value in Court, and at least in Europe, there is no clear juristiction on this kind of purchase yet so either way, you're shit out of luck.

But yeah, this kind of dick move is mostly expected from EA. Scamming Bastards.
EA is the licensing party? Did the game force you to agree to its own TOS? Because I'm pretty sure that's not in Apple's TOS that I agreed to.

Digishine

Banned
AH EA found a new way to get money.

Sell Games. Deactivate them after a while. Announce same version with only few bugs fixed and sell it for a bit cheaper.

Log4Girlz

The publishers, or what the consumers are left with after dealing w/ EA?

We're surrounded by assholes.

kw2AP.jpg

Card Boy

Banned
What bothers me is some people STILL think Activision is a worse company than EA. Those guys are Saints compared to EA.

Eusis

Again though, the problem is EA. Not Sony, MS, Apple or Digital Distribution, it's EA.
I would say it's a potential consequence of online connectivity, and really may be an Apple problem at the least. I imagine/hope Sony and MS have safeguards here, whereas the App Store seems more like the wild west.

Although, now that I think about it could there have been some court order to kill the original Rock Band on iOS? That seems like the one kind of thing that Sony and MS WOULD have to comply with on their platform, but I think that sort of thing would've made a huge splash.

2San

Why is everyone conflating DD in general with this one, specific, heinous publisher?
I think the real problem here is that this is legally possible. I think consumer laws should really change to reflect the nature of how today's entertainment is consumed, this includes movies and music as well.

This shit. This shit right here. Completely appalled.

It used to be that I had devs in each of the big 2 that I loved, so I couldn't boycott them if I wanted to play the games I loved (Bioware, Blizzard). Now post-ME3 I can safely and easily boycott EA. All Blizzard has to do is suddenly turn into ridiculously awful devs and ruin the D3 launch and I can start boycotting Activision
please let D3 be awesome

StuKen

Yay pirates!

One of the few groups who are actually building a catalog for future generations. /sarcasm
I find it quite amusing that those facilitating theft do more to champion the concept of ownership than any "legal" alternative. The fact that this is the case means something has gone horribly horribly wrong.

So it's been confirmed that the game is going to stop working after the date, or is this just a bad communication and they are taking off online functions only?

Ridley327

I'm guessing that the game still features MTV Games in it and I would have to imagine that's where the biggest problem is right now. My only question, though, is how does Harmonix not know what's going on with the game?

test_account

XP-39C²
Have any reason been given by EA why this is happening?

Like I've said, with DD you own nothing. Think EA could do that with physical copies? I shudder at the thought of these bastards in charge of my purchases.
It is possible ;)

Seriously thought, this is why i like physical copies, to know that i can play them in years to come without any problems.

Top Bottom