• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Dropping The Ball With Next Gen

Spokker

I don't think developers are ready for next-gen and covid probably set them back even further. The first year is going to be BC and cross-gen for the most part. Run your games at higher resolutions and maybe better lighting.

Wait until fall 2021.

Audiophile

Gold Member
This is frankly the dullest, least impressive "next-gen" I've ever seen across the board. Even though the consoles are awesome technically speaking, the cross-gen choices made by first parties has resulted in me losing all hype. There is absolutely nothing on show at the moment which has blown me away.

Tschumi

I'm gonna be straight up here.... I no longer care about them, but with Jedi Fallen Order they secured themselves a lot of patience on my part. I'll just wait, uncaring, until the sequel drops.

Yes, where the fuck is SSX?
ssx3 remastered... expanded... make it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

lpking2005

Neo Member
There should definitely be a new Battlefield for the launch of the new consoles but with Battlefield 5 not reaching expectations, i can understand that they need to take extra time.

However, EA are not the only ones dropping the ball..... personally i think CD Projekt Red have missed a huge opportunity not having that next gen patch at the launch Cyberpunk 2077.
I am definitely not putting up with the gimped version of that game and will wait for the PS5 version.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
EA make the best games that arent first party Microsoft

🧔🙋‍♂️🛀

tumblr_inline_njfvalbbFD1ql3qyg.gif

Aldo Raine

Neo Member
I'm sad that there's no Battlefield for launch of the new consoles. :(
Me too. BFV wasn't their best effort but it was still battlefield which is much more entertaining than that cookie cutter, copy and paste bull shit COD gets away with every year.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
The only EA games I've bought were Burnout Paradise. I don't see them publishing games I'd be interested in this coming up generation.

I'm gonna be straight up here.... I no longer care about them, but with Jedi Fallen Order they secured themselves a lot of patience on my part. I'll just wait, uncaring, until the sequel drops.

ssx3 remastered... expanded... make it happens.
The last SSX had some really good gameplay but the overall package was lacking. Two-thirds of the maps were unplayable due to giant chasms, white-outs, avalanche-gimmicks etc. If they expanded/fixed SSX, it'd be a pretty good game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If lack of available next gen footage is the measurement for dropping the ball then it feels like most developers are dropping the ball.

Tschumi

The last SSX had some really good gameplay but the overall package was lacking. Two-thirds of the maps were unplayable due to giant chasms, white-outs, avalanche-gimmicks etc. If they expanded/fixed SSX, it'd be a pretty good game.
I agree, I've been playing that game again recently, actually.. i don't agree with everything they've done.. deadly descents were a lame gimmick,i agree.. but i don't like how they gutted out the character building features, and also how the move to a more globetrotting thing seemed to take away the focus of 3.. i mean, one of two races per peak? Maybe I'm mislead because i don't wanna read reviews and I'm only a short time in, but I'd rather they stuck with maybe 3 or 4 peaks and just had them be as extensive as the mountain in ssx3~ The new trick controls were unnecessary, and i don't like how you would stick to grind rails if you jumped on them to do tricks~

Yeah in my hypothetical ssx sequel, it'd be ssx3 entirely, just expanded.

Not sure why so many - think - they hate EA. Specifically when it is EA that catapulted gaming forward almost singularly on PC's in the 90's aside from maybe 2 other dev's, and did it then again in early 2000 with BF.

"Boo-Hoo, EA Bought BioWare"

"Boo-Hoo, EA hold's the right's to sooo many franchises we love"

"Boo-Hoo, They are very demanding of their employees"

So are all companies. So what if EA hold's the right's to most beloved franchises from the 80's and 90's, they were responsible for and created most of them. Dragon Age on PC - Phenomenal. BF single handedly came in and pushed the industry forward in the PS3/360 Era in term's of graphic's with BF3 - Most thought graphics like in BF3 would never happen on those Consoles. Then Consoles recieved another visual leap in graphical performance due to BF3.

And the same on PC.

For PC gaming, EA is pivotal. And let's not forget about what they did on consoles in the early 90's with RR.

Worms' - Published by EA
The Bards Tale - Published by EA
Skate or Die - Made by EA
Road Rash - Made by EA
The Need For Speed - EA
Dungeon Keeper - EA
SSX - EA
X-Squad - EA
Alpha Centura - EA
Populas - EA
Ultima - EA
Shockwave -EA
The Sims
Sim City

- And that is just the games they are directly attached/known for directly for most of the 90's.

If I pasted the entire Published list - which is incomplete according to my own personal knowledge - you would find
that list to be staggering.

If you grew up in the 80's or 90's - EA probably published some of your favorite games.

If you knew them only in the 360/PS3 Era - BF3 Single Handedly proved to the entire industry there was a lot of room for visual improvement left on those consoles.

They created the Land/Air/Sea Combat MP game single handedly - when most thought it impossible - and continue to be the only developer to consistently deliver an intense War MP Experience online that is vehicular/squad combat focused.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I remember seeing this and thinking: give me a new Burnout instead of that prototype !!

And this prototype never turned to an actual game and now Criterion are just the shadow of themselves, this jar of weed probably didn't help though
unknown.png

Give me back the good EA, the one that produced SSX, Skate, Burnout, American McGee's games, KOTOR, ME....

Last edited:

EDMIX

lol I actually agree.

I don't buy much of their games, but Battlefield is still a day 1 for me, I thought Dragon Age 3 was ok, a very solid RPG, Titanfall is a great series and Star Wars Fallen Order was one of my favorite games last year.

So I'd buy BF6 day 1, Dragon Age 4 day 1, Titanfall 3 day 1 and Fallen Order 2 day 1. (I'd say the only maybe on that list is Dragon Age 4 lol, but thus far I like more of the series then hate, Dragon Age 2 is the only one I really dislike, enough to not complete it)

Now MS on the other hand.....I own zero games by them this generation as nothing looked good. I was thinking of getting MCC on PC, but just don't have the time and my backlog is too large to go back and play those classics, but I'd agree with someone saying EA put out better titles this gen then MS.

N Nhranaghacon agreed. Even looking back at last gen, a chunk of my favorite titles were by the publisher. Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dead Space, Battlefield etc if anything, I'd say I want them to seek to do more new IP and don't let a few failures stop them from continuing that. I think they let a few of those failings scare them in to doing more new IP. So I'm happy to see that they are at least still opening to doing more of them. I remember years ago they made some statement about wanting to do more open world titles, I think they probably started something and its planned for next gen as that was quite a while ago.

Last edited:

Fbh

EA has dropped the ball all around.
Respawn is about the only thing keeping them relevant to me.

But they won't go anywhere. They make so much money from their sports games, with little to no competition and a massive userbase that will keep buying these games every year regardless of reviews or quality. They are in that Mario 3d Allstars tier where they know they don't have to put in the extra effort to sell like crazy.

Not sure why so many - think - they hate EA. Specifically when it is EA that catapulted gaming forward almost singularly on PC's in the 90's aside from maybe 2 other dev's, and did it then again in early 2000 with BF.

"Boo-Hoo, EA Bought BioWare"

"Boo-Hoo, EA hold's the right's to sooo many franchises we love"

"Boo-Hoo, They are very demanding of their employees"

So are all companies. So what if EA hold's the right's to most beloved franchises from the 80's and 90's, they were responsible for and created most of them. Dragon Age on PC - Phenomenal. BF single handedly came in and pushed the industry forward in the PS3/360 Era in term's of graphic's with BF3 - Most thought graphics like in BF3 would never happen on those Consoles. Then Consoles recieved another visual leap in graphical performance due to BF3.

And the same on PC.

For PC gaming, EA is pivotal. And let's not forget about what they did on consoles in the early 90's with RR.

Worms' - Published by EA
The Bards Tale - Published by EA
Skate or Die - Made by EA
Road Rash - Made by EA
The Need For Speed - EA
Dungeon Keeper - EA
SSX - EA
X-Squad - EA
Alpha Centura - EA
Populas - EA
Ultima - EA
Shockwave -EA
The Sims
Sim City

- And that is just the games they are directly attached/known for directly for most of the 90's.

If I pasted the entire Published list - which is incomplete according to my own personal knowledge - you would find
that list to be staggering.

If you grew up in the 80's or 90's - EA probably published some of your favorite games.

If you knew them only in the 360/PS3 Era - BF3 Single Handedly proved to the entire industry there was a lot of room for visual improvement left on those consoles.

They created the Land/Air/Sea Combat MP game single handedly - when most thought it impossible - and continue to be the only developer to consistently deliver an intense War MP Experience online that is vehicular/squad combat focused.

One can dislike the way a company is now and still appreciate what it did 20 years ago. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

When most people say they dislike EA they mean right now, not that they dislike everything the company has done in almost 40 years of existence. Same way Bioware was once one of my favorite devs and I'll probably replay some of their older games for decades to come....and yet I don't give a shit about them right now and I'm fairly certain their next game will suck just like almost everything else they released this gen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What was the last truly great EA game?

The first Dragon Age, maybe?

Disclaimer: I didn't play Titanfall 2, which is great by all accounts.

Kerotan

They did the right thing my not forcing dice to rush out a next gen mm cross gen Battlefield day 1.

Holiday 21, bigger next gen player base, modern Battlefield, next gen only. The series back with a bang. So I'm actually glad EA are "dropping" the ball.

EDMIX

The first Dragon Age, maybe?

Disclaimer: I didn't play Titanfall 2, which is great by all accounts.

Titanfall 2 was really good. Criminally underrated. I still think Star Wars Fallen Order is their best work though. I went into that game with little expectation and was shocked at how great that game was.

Kerotan Kerotan Agreed. I think a lot of people are missing so many things that are going on right now simply just to hate EA.

BF4 was rushed, on 5 platforms, season pass, BF Hardline was delayed to avoid what happened with BF4. Next gen BF is set for 2021 instead of 2020 to give the team real time to make a solid Battlefield
Battlefront 1 had a season pass, loads of DLC that fragmented the community, Battlefront 2 had no season pass and all free DLC (regardless of controversy)
Titanfall 2 free dlc, no season pass
BFV free dlc, no season pass
Anthem free dlc, no season pass
Mass Effect team struggling with Frostbite
Fallen Order team using Unreal etc

From the start of this gen to the end of this gen EA has made theses changes and adjusted just like Ubisoft when they slowed down on AC releases.
If the EA that delayed a game to get it right is making BF6, EA that made free dlc and no season pass a thing with their titles making BF6, EA that is now allowing their teams to use engines that fit their titles etc I'm ok with BF6 coming 2021 under theses conditions.

If EA was a company that gave no fucks, you'd never see those changes. They would have had dozens of "cross gen" games at this launch looking to turn a buck. The fact that they are literally willing to WAIT to put out a better product tells me they are making the necessary changes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Titanfall 2 was really good. Criminally underrated. I still think Star Wars Fallen Order is their best work though. I went into that game with little expectation and was shocked at how great that game was.

Wasn't a fan of Fallen Order, personally. Great graphics and I finished it because I like Star Wars, but it was really janky.

EA has dropped the ball all around.
Respawn is about the only thing keeping them relevant to me.

But they won't go anywhere. They make so much money from their sports games, with little to no competition and a massive userbase that will keep buying these games every year regardless of reviews or quality. They are in that Mario 3d Allstars tier where they know they don't have to put in the extra effort to sell like crazy.

One can dislike the way a company is now and still appreciate what it did 20 years ago. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

When most people say they dislike EA they mean right now, not that they dislike everything the company has done in almost 40 years of existence. Same way Bioware was once one of my favorite devs and I'll probably replay some of their older games for decades to come....and yet I don't give a shit about them right now and I'm fairly certain their next game will suck just like almost everything else they released this gen.

I was there when the EA hate ball started rolling, 2002 - BF1942 had been out nearly a year and was still considered a buggy mess and people were upset because they could not play their precious game.

That was because, myself included - all of those people only had 64mb of memory installed on their pc. Which resulted in 15 minute loadtimes, warping of player's across the map and falling through object's as the memory couldn't parse enough data to tell the engine there were collision object's standing nearby.

I upgrade to 128mb of memory and boom, bf1942 loaded in 5 1/2 minutes. Upgraded again to 256 mb and BF1942 - a game notoriously panned for bug's and issues - ran flawlessly and loaded in under 2 minutes.

2 Years later - EA purchased Bioware - released Dragon Age on pc, was loved by many - 1 year later on Console - was hated - then Dragon Age 2 released - was hated .... and the EA hate mob hasn't given up since due to a lackluster Dragon Age 2/subsequent missteps and then report's of EA violating their employees time and work ethic - that has remained the hate mob's mantra to this day. EA released BF1942, a buggy unplayable mess. Hate Them. EA bought Bioware. Hate them. EA Makes Buggy Games. Hate them. EA overworks it's employees. Hate them. EA makes bad games. Hate them. The last 3 are arguably not true

. People hate EA because of this game or that - when if I posted the entire list of games they are responsible for you would realize they were also attached to nearly every beloved Lucas Art's franchise people loved, and a myriad of other titles not found on most of the list's accessible online. EA is a Pivotal developer/publisher to the industry and my own gripes with them aside - (milking sport's franchises) those issues can not make me hate EA. In come the new kid's, ready to cry, scratch and moan about EA's every misstep due to a whole decade of BF1942 bugs/BioWare Acquisition/ and a couple of hardly game breaking buggy releases afterwards - begin the bashing.

EA is notable for many lucas art's games unlisted
And fact there are so many unlisted EA game's it is shameful.

They helped create and or created

Command And Conquer Westwood Studios/EA
Medal of Honor Spielberg/EA
Mirror's Edge
Dead Space
Crysis
All the Harry Potter Games back in the day
Attached to responsible for Nearly all Star War's Games including Jedi Fallen Order

In fact, the list of unlisted games they are responsible for is nearly as staggering as the games they didn't forget to list on the wiki.

But oh no, EA has released buggy games - and EA bought Bioware. What do, ahh yes that bandwagon over there I'll jump on the hate wagon!

At least EA has never once released vapor ware

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Titan Fall 2 was fantastic. Best FPS campaign in a really long time. You could probably add Apex and Battlefield 4 (and maybe a FIFA?) to the list of best EA games this generation. They've just had a really disappointing generation.

I had this idea in my head that I could probably go all of next generation easily avoiding all of the games from EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and Take 2 as their output has either severely declined or they've turned the design philosophies behind their games is counter to my own tastes. Activision has thrown a wrench in that with their amount of care they've put into their remakes and even EA has started to dip their toes in that water.

SinDelta

Some thoughts:

Mass Effect
Dragon Age 4
Dead Space 4
Kotor 3
Kotor remake
Jade Empire remake/2
Titanfall 3
Simcity 6

Would have been really nice to see this headlining next gen. Oh well.

Command and Conquer Remaster- Given its success I think it safe to say we will be seeing Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 2 remastered at some point.

Jedi Fallen Order 2 - If they can refine the best parts, it could actually be really good.

Best Star Wars game since Kotor? Graphics Wise yes. Story absolutely not.

Kotor let you decide the fate of the galaxy. It gave you choice. Jedi Fallen Order lets you choose which planet to go to and no more. Disney and EA will never give the ability to affect the outcome of their story to the player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom