• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA drops games that "aren't growing", "aren't large enough", or not on viable systems

AOC83

Banned
Except for Mirror´s Edge and Dead Space this isn´t too terrible news.
Army of Two, Crysis and the like sucked donkey balls anyway. No loss.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
well they made Dante's Inferno while working on Dead Space 2, and Dead Space: Extraction on Wii same year as The Godfather II.

Extraction was outsourced however.

I mean it's not completely impossible, but their general silence isn't a good sign.

Better than spreading themselves thinner as games sell worse and worse. *That* would cause them to crash faster than what they're doing now.
But the games aren't selling like shit. EA just has ridiculous expectations for some franchises that are impossible to meet. They need to do something about their budgets. The one for Crysis 3 was retarded...

Raide

Further proof that the AAA game market is collapsing under its own weight.

Not sure it is proof of that or proof that the market can only support so many AAA games. Unless you get a new IP and its a big hit, they will be dropping it in favor of next-gen projects. Great for next-gen games, not so great for current-gen ones.

Better than spreading themselves thinner as games sell worse and worse. *That* would cause them to crash faster than what they're doing now.

It's one thing to streamline a portfolio because you're spreading yourself too thin risking to lose overall quality, it's another thing entirely doing so because you can't afford it anymore.

FStop7

Banned
Crash would more than likely have occurred if they kept trying to force the issue with consoles and handhelds that they don't deem viable. This is a good sign, imo.

Fewer big projects and a homogeneous industry is bad. The industry can't survive on 3 annualized military FPS.

Dennis

Banned
I wish I could believe that EA is the reason the Crysis series have turned from the brilliance of the first game but judging from Cervat Yerlis words, they want Crysis to be what it is now.

SpaceHobo

Banned
I think we are in the crash. The crash isn't going to be a sudden and singular event that we can point to and say there it is. I think it's going to be a slow process and we are in it at the moment. It won't be for a number of years until we can look back and see it's beginning and possible end.

So not a crash at all then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wish I could believe that EA is the reason the Crysis series have turned from the brilliance of the first game but judging from Cervat Yerlis words, they want Crysis to be what it is now.

Their newest plan seems to be some kind of f2p FPS-RTS hybrid.

jabuseika

...if this was another publisher, I would feel bad for them.

But I can't lie like that with EA, they had it coming.

It appears they've taken profitability yet again, over trying to make good games. I won't miss you EA, I won't.

Effect

They just have to fuck up the Sims and I'm never going to give them any money ever again :D.

After what they did with SimCity I fully expect them to regardless of what they're saying now. They can't help themselves.

cripterion

I was prompted to play Dead Space 3 today, with all these EA news and guess what, can't even change the language (it defaulted to french even though I choose english during the install) with their crappy Origin client. Why not include the option in the game or in the Origin client? Something so basic yet it's not even there...

I agree with people that think the game would have sold more if it was available on Steam.

scitek

What we've done is we've gone through a very detailed process to eliminate expenses associated with products that ... aren't on platforms that we feel are long-term viable in the industry.

The real reason for no Wii U support, ladies and gents.

dMry2.gif

This might maintain the status quo, but I don't think this is a sound recipe for growth at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yep. This is a recipe for failure. There is zero potential for growth in this kind of a scenario.

Since some people seem confused, I added this to the OP:

Andrew D. Connor - Piper Jaffray Companies, Research Division

And if I could just ask a question on the total console title count with the addition to maybe some Star Wars games moving forward and NBA Live, do you expect the total console title count to increase during the next gen or is it going to kind of continue to be at this reduced level?

Frank D. Gibeau - President of The EA Labels

My expectation -- this is Frank. My expectation is that as the console transition gets through this year and expands, you'll see our title count go up.

bill0527

Will I get banned for saying that I don't want to read through 7 pages of a conference call transcript full of gibberish that I don't understand, and ask for someone to give me the cliff notes version of what these executives said about Star Wars?

scitek

Yerli's a proud man, and just doesn't know how to admit that redesigning the franchise to be more like CoD from a fundamental standpoint didn't work.

Patryn

So EA's future portfolio will be yearly editions of:

EA Sports
Battlefield
Sims
Star Wars

And probably biyearly editions of Mass Effect, although I expect that it will increasingly become more of a multiplayer-focused shooter than a single-player action RPG. They seem to be making serious money off the multiplayer of ME3, after all.

I'm guessing Dragon Age will end after the disappointing performance of DA3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Will I get banned for saying that I don't want to read through 7 pages of a conference call transcript full of gibberish that I don't understand, and ask for someone to give me the cliff notes version of what these executives said about Star Wars?

-They are happy with their licensing deal and the margins on the deal.
-They still view wholly owned IP as the core of their business.
-They think the games could be notably accretive to both top line (revenue) and bottom line (profit) growth.
-They won't be releasing new Star Wars games this fiscal year (March 2013-April 2014), but they are actively developing them.

Then this covers Wii U as well.

And yeah, Dead Space is dead. Said in another thread, but I fully expect Visceral to start on a Star Wats game. They might be the first to have one out.

Said in another thread, but I fully expect Visceral to start on a Star Wats game. They might be the first to have one out.

Visceral to start on a Star Wats game. They might be the first to have one out.

Visceral to start on a Star Wats game.

Star Wat

Mael

After what they did with SimCity I fully expect them to regardless of what they're saying now. They can't help themselves.

Nahh they're not total morons, they shat on Spore but the Sims3 was good.
They won't take a risk on this one, it's a huge money maker for them.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
BF eventually will run out of juice.

Doubt it. It's been "niche" popular since before Call of Duty exploded.

It really depends on how much EA executive meddles with DICE and how far people are willing to put up with that bullshit.

Rubius

The main problem is that they spend 30-40 millions and expect 5-6 millions of people to buy the games. They need to cut the spending instead of spending 75 million on "cinema" effects. For a game like beyond I can understand, but I also can enjoy Dead Space without the open world and the big visual effects. Its better with, but if it mean less games, then tune it down a little.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So: Milk their biggest franchises and then make new IP's for the start of the next-gen, which is the best moment for a new IP to stand out and then proceed to milk it too?.

That's one way to put it, yes.

Generally think the same thing Activision does, but with more than three games.

Icarus

I'm not sure "We're only gonna focus on the very few big games that we have" is a good sign. Not for the industry, not for the consumer.

The games business has always had a hit driven model and it relies upon a portfolio approach. Reducing the offerings in your portfolio in an attempt to artificially drive a better hit rate doesn't decrease risk in the long term. It increases it.

And yes, this is bad for consumers.

Crawl

Honestly if Dragon Age 3 doesn't do probably 3-5mil sales for them that franchise is done. Especially with how terrible dragon age 2 was received.

Oh and we are definately never getting mirriors edge 2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Makes me wonder about the future of FUSE

They expect FUSE to perform worse than Mass Effect 3's week 4 and onwards sales as far as I can tell:

Focusing on Q1, GAAP revenue is expected to be $875 million as compared to $955 million in the prior year. GAAP diluted EPS is expected to be $0.33 a share as compared to $0.63 per share in the prior year. Non-GAAP revenue for the quarter is expected to be $450 million, an 8% decrease over last year's $491 million. In the first quarter of fiscal '13, we benefited from continued strong demand for Mass Effect 3 compared to this quarter's only new title, FUSE. Despite the decrease in revenue, gross margin is forecasted to be approximately 62%.

I'd be shocked if they intend to continue the franchise.

fabprems

-They are happy with their licensing deal and the margins on the deal.
-They still view wholly owned IP as the core of their business.
-They think the games could be notably accretive to both top line (revenue) and bottom line (profit) growth.
-They won't be releasing new Star Wars games this fiscal year (March 2013-April 2014), but they are actively developing them.

Well, at least they should be able to get something out in time for Episode VII...

So: Milk their biggest franchises and then make new IP's for the start of the next-gen, which is the best moment for a new IP to stand out and then proceed to milk it too?.

What you don't like milk?

It's sad to see even the big guys having to contract and cut everything that looks remotely risky. EA has never been my favorite company but they did occasionally release games like Mirror's Edge, SSX and Burnout. It's unfortunate that it might be a long while before we see anything like that from them again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt many people care about the Crysis IP. The first one was a good game, but the follow up titles were pretty weak with nonsensical stories and only served as graphical showpieces. I hope Crytek gets a chance to make something else with their amazing tech. Maybe something other than a shooter.

Yeah, Dead Space is finished.

I would be more inclined to say it is on hold. EA may revisit the IP in the future after some nostalgia builds up and they need a new title to fill in.

Still, they could end the series as it is since it really doesn't have a ton of places to go after DS3.

Top Bottom