• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: EAP and Spicy Horse Games appreciate "Steam’s decision" to sell Alice: MR [again]

Akia

link: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/elect...put-alice-madness-returns-back-on-steam/3396/

exxy said:
The confusing back-and-forth between Steam and Electronic Arts continues. Crysis 2 and Alice: Madness Returns listings all disappeared from Steam earlier this week, followed by a statement from EA stating certain business terms had changed.

The change violated an existing agreement Crytek had regarding Crysis 2 with another company, EA said, thus forcing Crysis 2 to come down from the store.

That didn't really explain what happened to Alice: Madness Returns, though.

Alice: Madness Returns returned to Steam today. EA sent me an odd statement explaining why.

"EA Partners and Spicy Horse Games appreciate Steam’s decision to sell Alice: Madness Returns," said the company. "The game is also available on several other download services including Amazon, Gamestop and Origin.com."

Interesting...I guess Crytek and Valve are still working their issues out. With all these companies being apart of EA Partners, I sure EA is in a really tough spot from not being able to pick sides.

Nabs

It never disappeared from Steam, it was just added yesterday. That's EAs new thing, have a pre-order on other services, and release it on Steam w/o the extras.

Mush

Visualante said:
But is it worth £30/$50?

edit. still no free version of Alice 1, pass
Check the thread, impressions/feedback is gud. Watching a friend playing it right now and it looks great.

Mush said:
Check the thread, impressions/feedback is gud. Watching a friend playing it right now and it looks great.
Yeah I better get on that, I'm kind of expecting it to go $20/$30 in a few weeks. I got burned on Mirror's Edge hard. So very sceptical with EA releases.

markot

Banned
Nabs said:
It never disappeared from Steam, it was just added yesterday. That's EAs new thing, have a pre-order on other services, and release it on Steam w/o the extras.
Yeah >.>...

Hm..

Weird that EA is the only one talking publically, not Crytek or Valve....

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
While it could really be an issue with Valve, I still think this is all a big stunt by EA that is breaking down.

Joe Molotov

Visualante said:
Yeah I better get on that, I'm kind of expecting it to go $20/$30 in a few weeks. I got burned on Mirror's Edge hard. So very sceptical with EA releases.

I was going to wait a bit on it but hell, the way things are going I figured I better buy it now before it gets taken down.

I didn´t expect Valve to say anything about the matter, they never do about these things. The only times they speak are when to promote their games or Steam.

markot

Banned
But Crytek not talking about having their game pulled from Steam? Telling people why, if itll get resolved.... etc...

EA the only one blabbing?! And not really saying much except that its Valves fault?

Fishy!

Derrick01

Banned
Funny how EA is the only one who has these problems with Steam.

Kinda like how DA2 magically appeared the day the signature edition expired.

Who to believe? 1 has been very pro consumer for years, the other screws us over every chance they get and encourages some of the worst practices this gen has seen.

LQX

markot said:
But Crytek not talking about having their game pulled from Steam? Telling people why, if itll get resolved.... etc...

EA the only one blabbing?! And not really saying much except that its Valves fault?

Fishy!
If anything Valve is the one that sounds fishy as EA is basically saying with that statement that it was Valve decision to pull Alice. And funny how many are not taking issue with Valve like they did with EA when it was assumed it was their doing.

markot

Banned
How could Valve pull Alice when it was never up >_<?

People are not taking issue with Valve because there is some level of trust that has built up over the last decade. EA killed all its trust in the PC community long ago.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
LQX said:
If anything Valve is the one that sounds fishy as EA is basically saying with that statement that it was Valve decision to pull Alice. And funny how many are not taking issue with Valve like they did with EA when it was assumed it was their doing.

Alice was never "pulled" from Steam, it was just put up late because EA are dumbfucks. (Sup DA2 showing up after the preorder bonuses expired and The Sims Medieval showing up two months late).

markot

Banned
Archie said:
Alice was never "pulled" from Steam, it was just put up late because EA are dumbfucks. (Sup DA2 showing up after the preorder bonuses expired and The Sims Medieval showing up two months late).
This is also a huge part of it. EA has clearly been luke warm, to say the very least, to Steam recently. Its not like they had this great relationship, EA has always been 'distant' and... somewhat hostile.

LQX said:

Probably because a lot of us have a hard time believing EA... things just don't really add up or make sense.

I'll wait for Crytek and Valve's statements.

Somnid

Ea's distribution is such a fuck-up. I bought Alice retail from Amazon because that was cheapest. I would have rather paid a little more for a Steam version had it been available at launch, especially after my woes installing from the disc. Even then I'd still be SOL on extra content.

Deadbeat

Banned
Nappuccino said:
Probably because a lot of us have a hard time believing EA... things just don't really add up or make sense.
But EA has never lied to PC gamers, or fucked them over so bad, or bought great developers and murdered them. EA is all about trust and since greedy Valve does nothing valuable on steam except constant feature updates, free weekends of games, sales, constant communication to the PC community, its obvious that EA is the good guy. I mean its not like EA is shifting back to their old practice of "If I cant have it noone can!".

Noone ever forgets Westwood.

Derrick01

Banned
LQX said:

After what EA has done this gen alone (never mind all the old stuff they did) they need to have a little more proof other than "it's valve's fault because...we said so!"

And this goes vice versa as well. Valve has earned a little bit of our trust to say the least. Yeah I do wish they'd comment on this but I'm not going to cast blame on them yet. This does always seem to happen to EA and EA only, and I'm sure Valve wants one of the biggest publishers on their side.

Goon Boon

Banned
1. Offer preorder bonus
2. Take product off competitor's service before release
3. Put it back up on competitor's service after game is released and preorder bonus is unavailable
4. You are EA

szaromir

Banned
Stallion Free said:
What a load of shit. We aren't dumbasses EA, we can figure out why you waited.
Yes, to put other DD stores in spotlight. That's still better than making their games exclusive to their DD store and forcing to install a DRM app.

So could valve just be fucking with EA after they screwed steam over with Dead space 2 and DA2 pre order stuff?

Valve dont seem the type to do that though. :/ If it was Valves doing I hope they have reason for doing it.

who knows.... hope they get it cleared up soon. its pretty idiotic to not have a game on steam and every major digital download platform for that matter.

Momo

Banned
Goon Boon said:
1. Offer preorder bonus
3. Put it back up on competitor's service after game is released and preorder bonus is unavailable
4. You are EA

Goon Boon said:
But how can you remove that product if it was never there in the first place? I might have some misconceptions about how the steam registry works but I thought Alice wasn't added until after the release date.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lostconfused said:
But how can you remove that product if it was never there in the first place? I might have some misconceptions about how the steam registry works but I thought Alice wasn't added until after the release date.
You are correct.

Carm

Why is Giantbomb reporting false news? Wasn't Alice just added to the Steam registry a day or so before it was put up, which was yesterday?

Edit: Scratch that, it looks like it was added to the registry yesterday then released. Giantbomb needs to take this garbage article down. Makes them look like a PR service for EA trying to smear Steam to get more Origin hits.

markot said:
Yeah >.>...

Hm..

Weird that EA is the only one talking publically, not Crytek or Valve....
Valve has nothing to gain by joining in on this and EA knows it.

If Valve gets in a public pissing match with EA, what does that tell content providers? If you try to maximize your money and play games on Steam's storefront, Valve is going to strike back? Then they just won't put their games on Steam, problem solved!

Valve wants games on Steam, even if they're late. They still have the biggest userbase, the best consumer mindshare, and the best general service. Fighting over a few EA games here and there will hurt them with every other content provider in the long run.

EA has nothing to lose by attacking Valve, Valve has a lot to lose by saying anything back. That said, I feel like you can only poke them so long before they say something and that probably won't be good for anyone.

Deadbeat

Banned
EA can play the stupid game all they want, but their main competitor this fall is going to have all of the Steam marketplace in November and they are going to clean up in sales.

szaromir said:
Yes, to put other DD stores in spotlight. That's still better than making their games exclusive to their DD store and forcing to install a DRM app.

Suddenly EA is concerned about rival company's business.

I hear Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 has the Premier League licence this year. So Excited!

szaromir

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
That said, I feel like you can only poke them so long before they say something and that probably won't be good for anyone.
Valve won't say anything, ever. Unless they want people to go back to their senses and finally start asking questions like "why aren't Valve's games available on other DD stores?".

Baha

Carm said:
Why is Giantbomb reporting false news? Wasn't Alice just added to the Steam registry a day or so before it was put up, which was yesterday?

Patrick wrote this piece too, you'd think he'd do some fact checking before posting EA's PR as fact.

szaromir said:
Valve won't say anything, ever. Unless they want people to go back to their senses and finally start asking questions like "why aren't Valve's games available on other DD stores?".

Even if they were, you'd still have to register them on steam so its kind of a moot point...

perhaps the issue was that EA were selling the game at the same price with cool extras on Origin. when that offer expired the game appeared on Steam. maybe that's part of the problem here?

i wouldn't call Valve unreasonable to ask that people don't sell an inferior product on their store at the same price and i can see EA being happy that Valve haven't apparently held it against them.

i don't see anything 'shady' on either side here.

szaromir

Banned
plagiarize said:
perhaps the issue was that EA were selling the game at the same price with cool extras on Origin. when that offer expired the game appeared on Steam. maybe that's part of the problem here?

i wouldn't call Valve unreasonable to ask that people don't sell an inferior product on their store at the same price and i can see EA being happy that Valve haven't apparently held it against them.

i don't see anything 'shady' on either side here.
The games is still cheaper on the EA store, at least here...

Even if they were, you'd still have to register them on steam so its kind of a moot point...
DRM is a separate issue here, there are still games sold on Steam that require a GFWL or Uplay clients. I obviously wish all DRM disappeared, including Valve's.

legbone

great news for a great game. i'm glad that all the folks that wanted this but didn't purchase it because it wasn't on steam can own this now. i do not belong to the master race but i am happy for the people who do. this is a great game that more people need to play. it's easily in the top 5 of all games i have played this year and i've played a bunch. this game is easily worth full purchase price.

szaromir

Banned
legbone said:
great news for a great game. i'm glad that all the folks that wanted this but didn't purchase it because it wasn't on steam can own this now.
They still could own it before it was postem on Steam store.

legbone

szaromir said:
They still could own it before it was postem on Steam store.

many in the ot did not purchase it just because it was not on steam. sorry if my post was not clear. i just woke up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Actual picture of szaromir:
8ffOS.jpg

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS DRMUS!

VALVE'S DAY OF RECKONING WILL COME

szaromir

Banned
legbone said:
many in the ot did not purchase it just because it was not on steam. sorry if my post was not clear. i just woke up.
Which is ridiculous. "I won't buy Half-Life 3 because it won't be on GamersGate!"

Effect

I just assumed that EA was speaking for Crytek and Spicy Horse Games as they are the publisher for the games. Don't think those two need to even say anything. Why Valve is silent on the other hand is interesting. Not so much as a small defense and I can only believe it's because they did remove the games because they didn't like that EA or the original developers had made other deals in addition to the one with Valve.

That should concern a lot of people though. Valve pretty much has a monopoly at the moment and if they start trying to demand developers can't make deals with other publishers because it violates some rules they have even though they had no hand in the games creation then that needs to be called out asap. The more Steam integration there is the more Valve is going to feel like they can demand. This is why I hope Origin/Impluse (now that GameStop owns it) and others can bring a serious challenge especially if a better DRM is made. There needs to be a check and balance on Steam.

Top Bottom