• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Expanding EA Partners Program, Grasshopper/Mikami Game A "Mad Masterpiece"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So you may remember that on Monday EA announced they were partially withdrawing from the EA Partners program.

Apparently, in the following five days, they've decided to completely revert the decision and actually expand EA Partners.

I know a lot of people have also been wondering whether the Grasshopper/Mikami project is still on, and have also been wondering if it's been heavily toned down since EA is publishing it. It seems EA has confirmed that it's still in development, and judging by the phrase used to describe it, it seems it will be very Suda-like.

Gamasutra said:
During a recent analyst financial call, Electronic Arts said the company expects revenue from its third-party EA Partners distribution business to be down $450 million in 2010 -- but an EA executive tells Gamasutra that's a sign of the variability of the distribution business rather than a signal of a long-term shift.

"Over the past three years, with the great products that have come from Valve and the fantastic products that have come from Harmonix via Viacom, the distribution side of our business has been extraordinarily robust -- probably once-in-a-lifetime robust," David DeMartini, the general manager of EA Partners, told Gamasutra in a new interview. That means EAP's 2010 faces tough comparisons to past years.

In addition to numerous retail Valve titles and all of the Rock Band games to date, EA Partners has handled distribution or publishing for Crytek's Crysis games, Flagship's Hellgate: London, Realtime Worlds' upcoming APB, and still-untitled games from Grasshopper Manufacture and Epic's People Can Fly studio.

Although little has recently been reported about the Grasshopper project, announced in 2008, DeMartini confirmed it is still in development, calling it a "mad masterpiece."

The deal with Harmonix owner MTV Games/Viacom comes to an end after the release of Green Day: Rock Band, with DeMartini telling Gamasutra he is "hopeful" the business relationship can be renewed, meaning the future of that particular revenue stream is uncertain.

And "the mix of distribution titles to [EA-funded] and [EA co-published] titles varies, based on what's shipping that year and on the distribution deals we have in place," DeMartini added, making EA Partners a more variable source of revenue than EA's own slate of fully-owned titles. For example, ZeniMax Media's acquisition of id Software eventually led to EA and ZeniMax agreeing that EA would no longer publish the studio's next major game, Rage.

He explained that EA Partners "covers the spectrum" in terms of fully funding games, co-publishing them, or serving purely as a distributor: Valve's games and the upcoming Green Day are pure distribution deals; Crysis 2 and the Grasshopper and Epic projects are closer to traditional publishing agreements; and APB is somewhere in between.

Despite the benefits of high-margin internal titles espoused by EA CEO John Riccitiello and COO John Schappert during this week's call, DeMartini claims EA Partners is "a critical business unit" that "continues to be a high priority for EA overall."

"The distribution business is lower-margin," he acknowledged, "because it's lower risk." In fact, he said, rather than scaling down, EAP is "looking to strategically expand the program with even more high quality partners."

"Partners want the flexibility EAP offers," DeMartini said, "and we pride ourselves in being able to complete all kinds of deals with our partners which are uniquely tailored to meet their needs and situations."
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Business_Continues_To_Be_A_High_Priority.php

Kuraudo

Banned
I would definitely describe killer7 as a mad masterpiece so this had me intrigued. If this new game is anywhere near as philosophically deep, narratively complex and just plain cool, then I'll be a very happy gamer.

akilshohen said:
Mikami is busy.

I wonder if this is gonna be hands off or possibly a collabo.

He's acting as producer. While at PS4 he managed to produce multiple titles while directing his own games.

Dascu

akilshohen said:
Mikami is busy.

I wonder if this is gonna be hands off or possibly a collabo.
Mikami has the producer-role while Suda is the director. Just like with Killer7, their previous collaboration.

ShockingAlberto said:
Well

It's clearly a collaboration.
I mean is it more of EA being hands off and just publishing/distributing (valve titles) or is EA working with Grasshopper/Mikami (Something similar to Def Jam: FFNY)

C-Jo

The game play in Killer7 was fine. It obviously wasn't anything to write home about, but it was a perfectly serviceable means to receive the rest of the Suda/Mikami/Takada/Fukuda awesomeness.

°°ToMmY°° said:
hopefully it has some form of gameplay this time, unlke killer7.
3329956530_84c8613816.jpg

Salazar

Nirolak said:
Apparently, in the following five days, they've decided to completely revert the decision and actually expand EA Partners.

Like butter spread over too much bread, my dear Frodo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
akilshohen said:
I mean is it more of EA being hands off and just publishing/distributing (valve titles) or is EA working with Grasshopper/Mikami (Something similar to Def Jam: FFNY)
Suda and Mikami actually mentioned what EA was doing for the project in an interview when it was announced:

1UP said:
1UP: Now that we've covered what you two bring to the game, what does EA bring to this collaboration?

Shinji Mikami: Money. [Laughs]

Goichi Suda: I was really surprised at things such as the size of their studios and their massive marketing and production teams. I've never had the experience of working on such a massive team before. We haven't done voice recording yet, but I know EA would be a huge help in finding talent and getting them to the studio and the motion capture as well. In other cases, I would want to do something before but couldn't, and since working with EA, they've provided everything I wanted. I get tremendous support from EA.

1UP: Did you go around to other publishers before deciding on EA, or was EA your first and only stop?

[Mikami quickly pantomimes a progression, saying "A, B, C, and D" while Suda answers.]

GS: Of course I had a chance to present it to different publishers, but EA was the company that understood the game and understood my approach to it. That's why I took the chance to work with EA. Also, EA produced Rock Band, so they understand the "soul of rock."
Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169360

Also, the article listed the game in the same category as Crysis 2 in terms of how involved in the project they are. This is notable because earlier in their earnings call, EA revealed that Crysis 2 is actually a full margin title for them, meaning they're getting the same share of the revenue they would get if they were contracting an independent studio to make a game with one of their IPs. The thing that we can pretty much infer from this is that EA is paying the full development budget of the game and also has a very large incentive to give it their complete marketing and publishing support.

Khrno

Is the Suda/Mikami game still going to be multiplatform including Wii?

I was always skeptical at what type of porting would it get to fit the Wii since it was supposed to run on the UE3.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The EA Partners program is amazingly great. Seriously all EA needs to do to pull out of the misery is to extend the batting average of the program to its internal portfolio.

Gorgon

Thanks for posting this news, Nirolak, I was afraid this game had been canned.

Khrno said:
Is the Suda/Mikami game still going to be multiplatform including Wii?

I was always skeptical at what type of porting would it get to fit the Wii since it was supposed to run on the UE3.

Was it ever going to the Wii? I always thought it was a PS360 thing.

Dascu

Gorgon said:
Thanks for posting this news, Nirolak, I was afraid this game had been canned.

Was it ever going to the Wii? I always thought it was a PS360 thing.
It was announced for PS3, Xbox 360, PC and oddly enough Wii. The Wii version might be running on an in-house Grasshopper Manufacture engine (maybe modified Fatal Frame 4 engine?) instead of UE3.

Gorgon

Dascu said:
It was announced for PS3, Xbox 360, PC and oddly enough Wii. The Wii version might be running on an in-house Grasshopper Manufacture engine (maybe modified Fatal Frame 4 engine?) instead of UE3.

Really? You have any link for that? I really don't remember that info at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm so fucking excited to see what this is. Fuck, it's like a mini Dream Team of design rolled into one, into a fucking horror game.

Goddamn this is going to be good.

Mael

Well I don't what we should expect but let's hope that Suda manage to use the money for the game instead of hooker and all, I mean it might be his biggest budget yet!
Whatever it is, let's hope it's more Killer7 and less No More Heroes.
because killer7 was way more awesome and we all know it

Jokes aside, glad to see the project is still on track
and Killer7 really is the better game

Celine

°°ToMmY°° said:
what's so wrong about it? gameplay was sub-par shit in killer7.
Sure the main points of K7 were the story, characters, setting and dialogues but the gameplay was fine.
It was just a crazy mix between Operation Wolf and some first person adventure ( albeit the puzzles were very light ).
How K7 used the sound to be an integral part of the experience with the laughs reminds me of Kenji Eno's Enemy Zero.

If you want to play a Grasshopper game with really shitty gameplay play Flower, Sun and Rain on DS.

I find a lot of Suda51 games to have unconventional gameplay moreso than bad gameplay. You can't say the game design wasn't intentional in Flower, Sun and Rain, for instance, since most of the characters comment on it constantly throughout the game. :lol And it's difficult for me to say a game has bad gameplay when it's one of the most interesting, thought provoking and engaging video game experiences I've had.

But it definitely doesn't fit within the conventions of modern game design so it's difficult to process. Of course paintings by Monet and Picasso were criticized for being terrible back in the day too.

I've loved pretty much every Suda51 game I've played so far, and Mikami is pretty awesome too, so I am mad hype for this game.

°°ToMmY°° said:
what's so wrong about it? gameplay was sub-par shit in killer7.

You're right, but probably this thread will get full of people that thinks that NMH was that bad bceause it was intentionaly bad, so you'll get every kind of responses....

Killer 7 worked better as a survival-horror than RE4 because of its gameplay.

Also :

cantfuckingwait

RE4 wasn't a survival horror game but it managed to give me way more tension that killer 7 in some areas.

Akia

firehawk12 said:
Wait... is EA PR schizophrenic or something? What a quick turn of events.

I think COO John Schappert's comment earlier in the week about "partially withdrawing" from EAP was his way of throwing the gauntlet down at EAP director David DeMartini through the press. Now DeMartini is using the same tactic to defend his department by saying: "EA Partners is "a critical business unit" that "continues to be a high priority for EA overall." He also replies to John Schappert's low-margin as a reason for withdrawal with this comment: "The distribution business is lower-margin," he acknowledged, "because it's lower risk." He then ends interview by throwing down a gauntlet of his own with: "[EAP] is looking to strategically expand the program with even more high quality partners."

I wonder who JR is going to side with on this one.

G.O.O.

Relaxed Muscle said:
RE4 wasn't a survival horror game but it managed to give me way more tension that killer 7 in some areas.
I wouldn't argue on that, but the fun I had with RE4 lasted two or three month. Killer 7 started in 2005 and never really stopped.

Sorry to bump a year old thread but I find it relevant to this week's release of Shadows of the Damned of course.

This game has gotten no media attention whatsoever. Same with Alice Madness Returns. Both are amazing titles and won't sell for shit unless word of mouth kicks into high gear.

How does this Partners thing work? They just find the publishing of it and let it runs its' own course? It's disappointing that both titles with go completely unnoticed.

ram

Square Triangle said:
Sorry to bump a year old thread but I find it relevant to this week's release of Shadows of the Damned of course.

This game has gotten no media attention whatsoever. Same with Alice Madness Returns. Both are amazing titles and won't sell for shit unless word of mouth kicks into high gear.

How does this Partners thing work? They just find the publishing of it and let it runs its' own course? It's disappointing that both titles with go completely unnoticed.

7/10 = amazing? LOLZ both games are no masterpieces, there good fun, but nothing that will set the world in fire or will be remembered in five month...

ram said:
7/10 = amazing? LOLZ both games are no masterpieces, there good fun, but nothing that will set the world in fire or will be remembered in five month...
horses for courses.

i agree with him that Alice is amazing, and most of the people i know who have played it agree. about as negative as i've seen from gamers is 7/10. i haven't played enough of Shadows of the Damned yet to decide what score i'd give it.

on topic, i'd be interested to know how much marketing EA promise a partner that they'll do for their title.

ram said:

Is this your rating or are you considering some IGN review as a stance for the gaming public? I feel bad if you actually read IGN.

Chairhome

ram said:
I haven't played either yet but am looking forward to SotD. Have you played either? It's easy to write off something you haven't played based on someone else has said about it...

Owzers

ram said:

That explains most games though, it's just without the hype it's easy to give these games 7/10 instead of the gentleman's 8 or 9.

Top Bottom