• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Explains Why Mirrors Edge 2 Took So Long To Announce

Why has it taken this long for DICE to announce a sequel to Mirror's Edge?

"It's taken this long because we wanted to get to the right concept and the right idea. And Sara Jansson who is producer on it, when she pitched her idea to me and Karl-Magnus, the GM for DICE, I was frankly blown away. I'm like "Finally, you've got it!" and when you hear something like that... She pitched an idea that frankly could only be built on gen 4, is a stunning concept, and when she came to us we knew we had it. And yes, we've been testing ideas and we've been prototyping stuff, and I'm glad that we waited to get the right idea."

http://www.gamereactor.eu/news/8522...%22It+will+be+a+different+Mirror%27s+Edge%22/

Tiu Neo

Gen 4? Fuck yeah, Mirror's Edge coming to Super Nintendo!

Yeah, I know, they start counting from the first '3D' generation... and I hate that.

NewGame

Banned
Mirrors Edge NeoGeo yeeeeah!

What do they mean "right concept and the right idea"? Just do more of the first! Please don't fix the unbroken.

Jack cw

And watch it be more mainstream and streamlined for casuals.

Watch for the shooter sequences and the handholding for the CoD audience. I remember EA being pretty disapointed in ME and the easiest way to boost up sales is making it as sgtreamlined as possible. CEO logic.

Skyzard

Banned
That's a lot of talk but I don't feel convinced. In fact, paranoid as I am, I'm a bit worried.

What could she have suggested that would have made such a change/reaction (if he isn't a total bs'er)?

I, I er, get lost in ME and don't really know what I'm supposed to be doing, imagine if we put portal with Mirrors Edge plus some classic tomb raider - make it more linear and have like puzzle rooms to escape from.

If so. Pass. I don't want Mirrors Edge:CoD:prepare to Die edition. Which is what the the trailer looks like.
The only open aspect I saw was at the end...with the lowres concept art. Hopefully that's just the marketing...but the level looked very sealed buildingishy.
She even had a prison break tattoo done -_-

The slap in the face will be they'll call it open-world. Only done on next-gen, hugeee environment!

Even mirratoidedgyvania would be awful.

Somehow I don't buy that the idea was linked to next-gen. I really hope I'm just being dumb.

Can someone please explain to me why EA keeps referring to this gen as Gen 4...why not just call it next gen? And has there not already been more than 4 generations of consoles I mean isnt this like the 7th or 8th?

Just give me no guns and an open world with the same art style with more free running animations. SOLD

Skyzard

Banned
Can someone please explain to me why EA keeps referring to this gen as Gen 4...why not just call it next gen? And has there not already been more than 4 generations of consoles I mean isnt this like the 7th or 8th?

Just give me no guns and an open world with the same art style with more free running animations. SOLD

PS4's gen is the logical explanation.

I know. It was explained already, it's a system they put in place for their 3D assets starting on the PSX generation.

Hence, gen 4. Don't worry about the revisionism, it's been covered already.

I know. It just bugs me since they use it so often (and I think it's silly).

Ein Bear

I wish they'd stop referring it as 'Gen 4'. If that's what they want to call it internally, then fine, sure, whatever. But it bugs the hell out of me in press stuff.

Suairyu

Banned
I hope that idea was 'no guns'
Yes, let's remove an integral element of the game design in order to appease people who tried to play the game in a manner it wasn't meant to be played.

I wish they'd stop referring it as 'Gen 4'. If that's what they want to call it internally, then fine, sure, whatever. But it bugs the hell out of me in press stuff.
Despite what others would tell you (and furiously quote wikipedia to educate you), there is no such official designation as a "generation". It's an invented construct. EA calling this "gen 4" makes as much sense as whatever it is people around here want to call it. I'm astounded at how bent out of shape people get over this.

Omni

I know. It just bugs me since they use it so often (and I think it's silly).

Gen 4 bullshit.

Why does this matter in the slightest? (even more so, why would this 'bug' you?)

They make it sound like they kept testing ideas and then the producer comes up with some sort of "stunning" new concept for the game... when fans just wanted a sequel. What exactly does this new concept bring to the table that makes it so "right"?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It's probably just habit since that's their internal name. I don't think they even realize that they're doing it.

Why does this matter in the slightest? (even more so, why would this 'bug' you?)
I don't understand it either. Some people get really mad about it for no reason. No one except EA uses it, we all know what they mean, and you don't have to use it.

Can't wait to play this game on my SNES.

Whatever, my buddy was asking me how they could EVER make an ME2 and my first response was remake, so hey, I was right. As long as there are no forced gun moments we'll be getting it.

Warablo

I keep wondering what this idea pitched was..

Anyway, I enjoyed the art style of Mirrors Edge and glad they kept it that way by the looks of the trailer. I hope we learn more about the story and atmosphere of the city/lore.

so this game has a female director?

that's a good thing. This industry needs more female input.

edit: found her profile pic at dice: http://dice.se/about/sara-jansson/

sara1.jpg

They keep saying this, but I want to know what the idea is. What single idea could resurrect Mirror's Edge? Knowing EA I fear for my pockets and dignity.

peakish

Having played through the original for the first time this week I'll say that I'm looking forward to this game right now. It has a ton of flaws but something original like it wins out against almost anything else I can choose to play.

Yes, let's remove an integral element of the game design in order to appease people who tried to play the game in a manner it wasn't meant to be played.
I liked that you had the option to grab guns and just fire away, I mostly didn't (except the really hard parts where I was mostly forced into it) but it was handled in a cool way. Overall though I'd like a smaller focus on combat situations, the calmer parts where I had to hold up and look around for how to proceed were my favorite parts of the game by far - shifting the balance a bit more towards those would also make the stressful situations have a larger impact, I think.

Top Bottom