• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Gives Mass Effect Fans Hope with Confirmation of 'Exciting Remasters' Coming Soon

Deft Beck

That's pretty true. If they did all 3 games and all the DLC as one $60 release then it would be the best deal in the history of Gaming.

I could see them doing $60 for the base game trilogy and then $20 for the DLC collection.

For the full experience they should force you to buy Bioware points again.

mcz117chief

That's pretty true. If they did all 3 games and all the DLC as one $60 release then it would be the best deal in the history of Gaming.
I wouldn't go that far. Look at stuff like Command & Conquer the First Decade. All the games + expansion packs for like $40. That was a great deal. Elder Scrolls Anthology is also really huge and has 5 games including the DLC and expansions (not all for Skyrim I think). Also, don't forget the greatest video game collection of all times ACTION 52!

You know, it's just occured to me that with all those recent reports on PS5 backwards compatibility, that if Sony doesn't fuck it up, they might just make these unnecessary.

I've got my old discs and already bought any DLC I wanted. Hopefully I won't actually need any or these remasters anyway.

Odds are a straight uprezzed or upscaled emulation of the original games would look and run better than any most likely as cheap as possible next gen port too.

johntown

Banned
Yes please give proper remasters of the first 3 Mass Effect games running on Frostbite with all DLC. Andromeda can be excluded for obvious reasons.

A remaster of Dragon Age Origins would be great too DA2 can die.

royox

HAHA

Sure, go ahead and support the loot box company with their "surprise mechanics".

You mean Blizzard?

At least they are not hidding In-disc content behind Amiibo paywalls or releasing "remasters" for full price.

Stuart360

fans are excited about rebuying mass effect? damn we are easy preys.
My favorite trilogy from last gen, not favorite game, but favorite series.

Anyway would people prefer having a 1080p/60fps HD collection with all dlc for this gen, in say 3 or 4 months?, or would they prefer a 4k/60fps version for next gen?.

TeamGhobad

Banned
My favorite trilogy from last gen, not favorite game, but favorite series.

Anyway would people prefer having a 1080p/60fps HD collection with all dlc for this gen, in say 3 or 4 months?, or would they prefer a 4k/60fps version for next gen?.

mass effect is my biggest gaming disappointment. what i expected was a 30+hour deep rpg epic space opera. what i got was a shitty 8h 3rd person shooter.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
A vain hope, but I don't want a remaster. I want a REMAKE. Remake the entire series from the ground up and rewrite the second and third installments. To quote my message from another thread:
I've always felt they should have replaced the Starchild with the companion who you let die on Virmire on the first game. It was such a huge cringe to have some random kid haunt Shepards dreams. One of many Mass Effect 3 cringes.

brian0057

Banned
mass effect is my biggest gaming disappointment. what i expected was a 30+hour deep rpg epic space opera. what i got was a shitty 8h 3rd person shooter.
The original Mass Effect? That was the last good Bioware game.
If we're talking about Mass Effect 2 and 3, then I agree. As much as I liked 2, that game excised the RP from the G.
In the process turning it into a poor copy of Gears of War. Mass Effect 3 just exacerbated the problem even further.

Fbh

I'd be in if they put some effort into it, if it's just a basic FPS and resolution boost I would probably pass. (unless they sell all 3 for $30 or something like that).

Man I miss Mass Effect. It's not like it didn't have any issues, and the ending sure sucked, but there still isn't quite anything like it right now.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
n Mass Effect 1 it is very clearly established that without the Citadel the Reapers are trapped in inter-galactic void and traveling back under their own power would take centuries at best, most likely thousands of years though. Mass Effect 3's problem isn't just the ending, it is actually the beginning that throws the whole thing into the dumpster.
Without a Mass Relay instantaneous travel throughout the galaxy is impossible. Without the Citadel to warp them in the Reaper fleet would have to take a slow route towards the Milky Way, which as you say would take thousands of years. So Bioware basically retconned an important plot point to make for more action packed sequels.

Help me out here, guys. I never played ME1 and it's been a long time since I played the sequels. What is the contradiction exactly?

GreyHorace

Help me out here, guys. I never played ME1 and it's been a long time since I played the sequels. What is the contradiction exactly?
Mass Relays are the means with which you can travel through the Milky Way in an instant. Without it it would take centuries just to reach the next star system.

The Reapers were stationed just outside the Milky Way waiting to warp in through the Citadel. Without that they'd have to travel on sublight speed, which would take a thousand years at best. But by ME3 they arrive in just two years! It's a stupid retcon on Bioware's part.

In ME1 they establish that the Reapers hide out in the extra galactic void in Stasis between cycles, awaiting a signal from Sovereign via the Citadel that it's time to wake up and start harvesting.

They then use the Citadel as a Mass Relay to instantly get to the heart of civilised space, take out whatever government has inevitably set up shop there, and shut down all Mass Relays to anyone but themselves, allowing them to pick all space fairing species off one by one without the galaxy being able to unite against them.

By the end of ME1 Sovereign is dead, the Citadel disabled as either comms or a mass relay, and the Reapers are stuck in hybernation centuries away from the milky way.

The explanation for their waking up is the Collectors acting as a back up in case Sovereign failed, but no explanation is ever given for how the Reapers get to the galaxy so quickly, or do so without the very clearly established downsides to FTL travel in open space fucking them up royally.

mcz117chief

In ME1 they establish that the Reapers hide out in the extra galactic void in Stasis between cycles, awaiting a signal from Sovereign via the Citadel that it's time to wake up and start harvesting.

They then use the Citadel as a Mass Relay to instantly get to the heart of civilised space, take out whatever government has inevitably set up shop there, and shut down all Mass Relays to anyone but themselves, allowing them to pick all space fairing species off one by one without the galaxy being able to unite against them.

By the end of ME1 Sovereign is dead, the Citadel disabled as either comms or a mass relay, and the Reapers are stuck in hybernation centuries away from the milky way.

The explanation for their waking up is the Collectors acting as a back up in case Sovereign failed, but no explanation is ever given for how the Reapers get to the galaxy so quickly, or do so without the very clearly established downsides to FTL travel in open space fucking them up royally.
Compounded by the fact that the Reapers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to scrap their whole plan of disabling the relays and attacking the Citadel. They instead just wobble around the galaxy, picking fights with whomever they want, first Earth then Palavan etc. never even attempting to take control of the Citadel until the very last moment where they literally just say "oh yeah btw. Citadel has been moved by Reapers to Earth!" XD XD XD That fucking slayed me.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I'd be ecstatic if they remastered the old PC/3DO/PS1 version of Road Rash. Not counting on it, just.......dreaming.
Really surprised they havent done a new Road Rash, what with how online everything is focused these days. 20 player races accross country could be amazing.
Just have it like the Genesis/3DO versions, not the crappy PS1 games.

sol740

I was willing to ignore the retcons with the Reapers because I felt so invested in the relationships and characters in Mass Effect, but the ending of ME3 was so astoundingly awful, it made me retroactively dislike the entire series. I tried to go back and play through them, and I just don't have it in me. I haven't really been interested in ME since 2012, when Bioware scrambled to add the ending DLC to try and salvage as much goodwill as possible. It felt every bit as tacked on as it was.

Last edited:

NickFire

I could see them doing $60 for the base game trilogy and then $20 for the DLC collection.
If they combine the three games into one, and include the dlc for a straight $60, I'd be incredibly tempted to replay it.

brian0057

Banned
I was willing to ignore the retcons with the Reapers because I felt so invested in the relationships and characters in Mass Effect, but the ending of ME3 was so astoundingly awful, it made me retroactively dislike the entire series. I tried to go back and play through them, and I just don't have it in me. I haven't really been interested in ME since 2012, when Bioware scrambled to add the ending DLC to try and salvage as much goodwill and possible, and I played it, and it felt as tacked on as it was.
If you play the original Mass Effect thinking of it as a standalone (as it should've been) then it gets a lot easier to get into it.
People say Mass Effect 3 was what killed the franchise but I argue that it was the second game that shanked the series in the kidneys.

With how current Bioware writing looks, I've got a feeling Commander Shepherd will have a tired face in a remake and correct Garrus' grammar regarding the proper use of whom.

Highly doubt it’ll be a mass effect remaster. Even if it is, it will probably just be a 60fps/1080p update for consoles. Unless there’s a major graphics overhaul, I couldn’t care less.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Mass Effect is my favorite trilogy ever. I put so many hours into ME3 multiplayer.

I was willing to ignore the retcons with the Reapers because I felt so invested in the relationships and characters in Mass Effect, but the ending of ME3 was so astoundingly awful, it made me retroactively dislike the entire series. I tried to go back and play through them, and I just don't have it in me. I haven't really been interested in ME since 2012, when Bioware scrambled to add the ending DLC to try and salvage as much goodwill as possible. It felt every bit as tacked on as it was.

That epilogue DLC was awful. The actual good DLC was Leviathan, Omega, and Citadel. Stuff you had to pay for. Thats why I'm excited for a remaster so more people who didn't wanna pay EA back then can play those.

If you play the original Mass Effect thinking of it as a standalone (as it should've been) then it gets a lot easier to get into it.
People say Mass Effect 3 was what killed the franchise but I argue that it was the second game that shanked the series in the kidneys.

Yep. ME2 fans trying to distance themselves. Its like naw bro YOU made it a full on shooter with tiny hubs and focus on character over plot. You can still like 2 but at least own it.

Idk $60 for everything seems like a fair price to me they are getting fairly old now especially if this releases in 2020

I'm going say most of us want me 1-3 dragon age origins, and dead space 1-3 what they will give us is a big fuck you with Andromeda remaster on ps5. Sadly.

Clive Barker's Undying? FIFA 99? Need for Speed Porsche?
That would be great, it's not going to happen. Take your Andromeda and like it.
Ughh
Hell I'd love for me trilogy on switch and dead space tril on ps4/5 it's not going to happen, they would of done it already. Shit ea hasn't remastered anything that I know of.

Lone Wolf

That would be great, it's not going to happen. Take your Andromeda and like it.
Ughh
Hell I'd love for me trilogy on switch and dead space tril on ps4/5 it's not going to happen, they would of done it already. Shit ea hasn't remastered anything that I know of.
I think Burnout was remastered? That’s all I can think of.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Ok, We need to support Dead Space, is the only one game that i can buy it for EA... the others nahhh.

I only do that for the fans, for me i can buy it pre-owned

Gerdav

If this is going to happen please be spring/summer at the latest 2020, not when the new consoles are being released, and please don’t be bloody launch titles that’s just being lazy, unless they are complete remakes(unlikely)

Here's a different take where the series went wrong:

ME2 is the best game because it's the only one that focused on characters and world building instead of stupid giant space squids.

ME1 has massive flaws, bigger than 2 by miles. The open world sections were boring and repetitive, the combat abysmal, the powers boring and samey, the Mako handled like a drunk obese scotsman in a shopping trolley, the menus were user unfriendly, side missions were samey and charactdr interactions often shallow.

ME2 has a shit main plot and went too far with streamlining its systems.

Beyond that, it built on every single great thing about the first game. Player choice, consequences, world building, characters, emotive side missions, player agency and interactivity (god damn were interrupts awesome!) Customisation and personalisation while adding in far better DLC, especially with Lair of the Shadow Broker and ultimately having one of the most amazing, tense and exciting endings to any game ever with the suicide mission, giant terminator baby aside.

The worst problem ME2 had was not being willing to let go of the Reapers, which were a good set piece and background for the real villian of Saren in ME1, but set a precedent that each subsequent title not only felt oblidged to include, but inevitably raise the stakes on, ultimately ruining the 3rd game entirely.

The rot was laid in ME1 though, and while perfectly ok in isolation, ultimately tarnished a game that was primarily great for the universe itself, not the unknowablely vague, big bad squid monster.

Last edited:
Top Bottom