• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Gives Mass Effect Fans Hope with Confirmation of 'Exciting Remasters' Coming Soon

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I think a Mass Effect remaster is great, and will fit in perfectly with next gen consoles, this is about getting new fans into the series, potentially alongside gamers who've played it before.

I'd rather have a new franchise at this point, I've already played Mass Effect several times. If I want to again I'll just play the original. Take the resources and effort you'd spend rebluilding a franchise you destroyed that left a lot of fans either angry or worse, indifferent to the franchise, and start fresh. Make something better. I'd be happy to buy something with a new start if they did it right.

How about remastering that Command and Conquer FPS (renegade?)

That shit was so far ahead of its' time but hampered by poor tech. We need more games like that.

So would I road rash for Sega genesis and road rash 3d on ps1 rocked. Probroy don't do to music licenses. Just like we never get old burnout and gran turismo ps1 games ever on newer hardware. They don't want to pony up music royalties. Don't know why they didn't plan back then like hey maybe we will release x game in the future.

kingwingin

Give 1 a real thick new coat of paint to get it looking as good as 2 and let me lower my gun in 3 and you got a deal EA

Zurick

Banned
Did EA read my post? Hopefully it's true.

592zfBP.png

I only want ME2 remasted to be fair.

Gargus

Banned
It better be one hell of a remaster for me to replay part 1 again let alone 2, and 3 better be a total overhaul.

I loved 1 and I liked it so much I remember everything very clearly so I dont have much interest in playing it again. 2 was pretty good also but felt more streamlined and less exciting, 3 was just shit. But given how many new games I want to play I dont have an interest in replaying them all as I'd rather spend the time playing something new.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Nah fuck this. Kill off starchild or eat a dick EA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dada55000

It's Medal of Honor: Warfighter.
Atleast it's not MoH2010. Because I'm a cretin of the mind, I played both campaigns back to back like a year or 2 ago, and 2010 is just the most boring piece of shit ever. I'd rather have doorfighter, some of the setpieces are fun, like the second driving level.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Atleast it's not MoH2010. Because I'm a cretin of the mind, I played both campaigns back to back like a year or 2 ago, and 2010 is just the most boring piece of shit ever. I'd rather have doorfighter, some of the setpieces are fun, like the second driving level.
After playing both game demos, I'd rather have 2010. It was amazing..... I could run around with an AK-47 and shoot enemies from across the map with M-16 kind of accuracy. I have never played a shooter with such low recoil for an AK.

EDMIX

Knowing EA....they probably used Frostbite.

Well they are saying remasters for starters, not remakes. To have it in Frostbite means much more work is being put into it then a simple transition job.

Either way. Lots of titles I'd have no issue picking up if true.

Would love to play Mass Effect 1-3 in 4K, Dead Space, Dragon Age etc. They had a great gen last gen and goes to show that making new IP needs to be part of their normal plan, not a knee jerk risk taking action.

Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Mirrors Edge, Dead Space, Skate etc All new IP. Look at Ubisoft, they should have been looking at them when they came into this gen and remember what they did last gen. I think they played it waaaaaay too safe and should have been very open to new IP on most of their teams. I'm happy they are trying now with stuff like Anthem, Apex and Star Wars Fallen Order etc, but that is long over due. Gamers love established IP sure, but they also favor something new and are willing to pay to get a new experience. The Last Of Us moving 20 million units as a new IP is enough to show a market exist for new IP.

Last edited:

Ascend

People say Mass Effect 3 was what killed the franchise but I argue that it was the second game that shanked the series in the kidneys.
I fully agree. And the big problem is that the second game was praised a lot and was received a lot better than it should have been... And the thing is, they used the same formula for all their successors, and look where that got us...
So yeah... To anyone reading this, if you think ME2 is the best game of the trilogy, it's your fault the Mass Effect series is ruined.

I prefer dragon age origins over mass effect
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Pallas

Would love for a trilogy remaster with the dlc added along with it. I really want them to do something with Andromeda though, way too many unfinished

Mass Effect 3 cannot work with Shepard. Full stop. Because if you keep Shepard around it literally means that Citadel has NO purpose at all. In Mass Effect 1 it is very clearly established that without the Citadel the Reapers are trapped in inter-galactic void and traveling back under their own power would take centuries at best, most likely thousands of years though. Mass Effect 3's problem isn't just the ending, it is actually the beginning that throws the whole thing into the dumpster. The only way to make Mass Effect 3 make sense is without Shepard, in the distant future where the galaxy either is or isn't prepared for the arrival of the Reapers based on your performance in the previous games.

My knowledge on Mass Effect series might be a little off and rusty but didn’t the reapers arrive to our system from the Bahak system(Batarian territory/space) and attempted to use the alpha relay to gain access to citadel space, but ultimately failed because the relay was annihilated and they had to travel on their own the rest of the way(hence why Batarian space was the first to fall in ME3)

this happened in the arrival DLC in Mass Effect 2.

So they weren’t entirely dependent on the Citadel to get to the Milky Way, like they made it appear in Mass Effect 1. That plan also ultimately failed too when Sovereign was unable to open that relay(the citadel) in mass effect 1.

So while I think the beginning of ME3 is problematic, I think the arrival dlc started it. I don’t think they ever explain how they got in the Milky Way to began with on their way to the alpha relay. It only slowed their journey... what? 3 months? Until they were fully in Batarian space?

Ascend

Honestly, I think it's a bit too early still, for a remaster of the whole trilogy. ME1 can use it, ME2 and ME3, well... A visual upgrade wouldn't really add that much, especially for the ones that have played these on PC. And even more so for the ones that used high res texture mods. The whole trilogy looking like Andromeda (or better) without facial animation bugs is not a bad thing, but, the games have a lot more issues that need to be solved, and I'd rather they tackle those first, rather than giving the games a visual upgrade only.

That being said, I cannot trust BioWare at this point in time, to remake/reboot the series... I have a huge fear that they will somehow make it worse than it already is....

[2] Add RTX ray tracing compatibility.
Fixed

Last edited:
I worry about the future of Mass Effect ( if there is one ).Except for the ENDING of ME3 I am probably one of the biggest fans of Mass Effect.

But Mass Effect andromeda was a fucking mess. The entire tone was wrong. Mass Effect is

DARK, SERIOUS AND SEXY

MEa was goofy, light hearted and had anything sexy purposefully removed.
In addition the writing was AWFUL. In every previous ME game I either cared about of was interested in the majority of the characters. After every mission I couldn't wit to get back to the ship and see what they had to say.Half was through MEa I just stopped doing that. They were all so unlikable by comparison and even worse - boring.

Commander Shepard is a legend. The brother and sister in MEa ( I've honestly already forgotten their names ) are a fucking joke.

Whoever designed the environments, the ships and the gunplay did a good job and they should stay. But whoever decided to completely change the tone of Mass Effect and all the writers, I sincerely hope they get put on another project, or any future ME games will suffer from their presence.

Anyone at all who is "woke" is simply incapable of creating an enjoyable Mass Effect.

Last edited:

Dada55000

Would love for a trilogy remaster with the dlc added along with it. I really want them to do something with Andromeda though, way too many unfinished

My knowledge on Mass Effect series might be a little off and rusty but didn’t the reapers arrive to our system from the Bahak system(Batarian territory/space) and attempted to use the alpha relay to gain access to citadel space, but ultimately failed because the relay was annihilated and they had to travel on their own the rest of the way(hence why Batarian space was the first to fall in ME3)

So they weren’t entirely dependent on the Citadel to get to the Milky Way, like they made it appear in Mass Effect 1. That plan also ultimately failed too when Sovereign was unable to open that relay(the citadel) in mass effect 1.

So while I think the beginning of ME3 is problematic, I think the arrival dlc started it. I don’t think they ever explain how they got in the Milky Way to began with on their way to the alpha relay. It only slowed their journey... what? 3 months? Until they were fully in Batarian space?
You literally just described why Arrival is the exact same as ME3. Of course it's exactly as shit.

Them not being dependent on the Citadel is impossible in the context of ME1, even 2's main plot. If all it takes is months or a couple of years to get there, they would've just invaded instead everything that actually transpired. That's what kills 3 and the shitty DLC. And that's just the layman logic, that doesn't take into account any degree of science at all in the scifi setting. There is no game. Only Mac Walters is a cretin that doesn't remember or ever knew a 3 paragraphs plot synopsis for the game he wrote sequels for. Nor can he comprehend the scale of space.

Mass Shift

Well that is where the problems began because it's a MAJOR plot hole.

It was assumed that Sovereign (being the Vanguard that stayed behind after the last cycle to watch the galaxy) was a necessity in waking the Reapers up from their sleep and opening the Citadel relay so that the harvest could begin.

But that's where things get stupid because ME3 breaks all plot points because the Reapers can get here anytime they want, the Citadel was never needed. The Reapers don't go to the Citadel where they could easily push aside the Fleet and shut down all the mass relays in the galaxy. Thereby making it easy to go from system to system harvesting while the rest of the galaxy is marooned on their separate worlds, unable to help others or themselves. The Reapers' reasons for harvest is nonsensical. Harvesting organics as machines to keep them from creating machines. SMFH

I won't speak on the endings. That stuff has been debated to death. And Andromeda barely even addresses it properly.

Arachnid

Mass Effect is great, but I'm praying for Dead Space to make a comeback.

Then again, that series doesn't need a remaster. The first still looks fantastic. I just really want more Dead Space exposure so it can make an eventual comeback.

adamosmaki

Mehh. I always found ME series overrated. Outside of ME 1 which i consider the best by far of the series
Let alone they don't really need a remaster
I could care less

Last edited:

D3SCHA1N

Remaster of SKATE.3 would be about 100x more "exciting" to me. Seriously, ME at least had a shitty game this gen, we need a skate game on the ps4/ Xbone....

Last edited:

vkbest

They should remaster Dragon Age saga, Mass Effect Saga and Dead Space saga. If they want only make one remaster, its clear, dragon age origins :D

Pallas

You literally just described why Arrival is the exact same as ME3. Of course it's exactly as shit.

Them not being dependent on the Citadel is impossible in the context of ME1, even 2's main plot. If all it takes is months or a couple of years to get there, they would've just invaded instead everything that actually transpired. That's what kills 3 and the shitty DLC. And that's just the layman logic, that doesn't take into account any degree of science at all in the scifi setting. There is no game. Only Mac Walters is a cretin that doesn't remember or ever knew a 3 paragraphs plot synopsis for the game he wrote sequels for. Nor can he comprehend the scale of space.
Well that is where the problems began because it's a MAJOR plot hole.

It was assumed that Sovereign (being the Vanguard that stayed behind after the last cycle to watch the galaxy) was a necessity in waking the Reapers up from their sleep and opening the Citadel relay so that the harvest could begin.

But that's where things get stupid because ME3 breaks all plot points because the Reapers can get here anytime they want, the Citadel was never needed. The Reapers don't go to the Citadel where they could easily push aside the Fleet and shut down all the mass relays in the galaxy. Thereby making it easy to go from system to system harvesting while the rest of the galaxy is marooned on their separate worlds, unable to help others or themselves. The Reapers' reasons for harvest is nonsensical. Harvesting organics as machines to keep them from creating machines. SMFH

I won't speak on the endings. That stuff has been debated to death. And Andromeda barely even addresses it properly.

I know, I know. It’s been YEARS since I played the trilogy and needed to see if my memory was still remembering stuff right. Didn’t they change lead writers or directors? I know something changed between ME1 and ME2. I remember that scraped story line that involved dark energy/matter, I think ME2 had remnants of that plot during Tali’s loyalty mission in ME2.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Bioware is like the child who wants to help cook breakfast, EA will give them easy/safe stuff(remasters) because they can't be trusted to handle anything else.

Get ready for burnt toast.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

I know, I know. It’s been YEARS since I played the trilogy and needed to see if my memory was still remembering stuff right. Didn’t they change lead writers or directors? I know something changed between ME1 and ME2. I remember that scraped story line that involved dark energy/matter, I think ME2 had remnants of that plot during Tali’s loyalty mission in ME2.

It was something to the effect of the lead writers shutting themselves up in a room and not including the rest of the team in what they had decided would be the way things would get wrapped up.

Remaster the series with RTX capabilities, heat management on guns for the complete series, DLCs included for all the games, and ME3 with a completely redone ending. At least put the Citadel DLC for the ending like that one mod does, or redo the bloody thing to capture indoctrination as the final test.

It was something to the effect of the lead writers shutting themselves up in a room and not including the rest of the team in what they had decided would be the way things would get wrapped up.
You're both right.

Drew Karpyshyn was lead writer for 1 and most of 2, before being moved to SWTOR.

Matt Walters took over and, while a decent dialogue writer (Wrex in ME1 was pretty much all him) he was shit at story ideas, responsible for the bollocks with the Vurmire survivor acting like a prat in and the dumb Terminator Baby/Reapers are hybrids getting thrown into the Suicide Mission.

Matt Walters and director Casey Hudson didn't like Karpyshyn's original outline and ending for 3, so threw it out, letting various writers cover side missions pretty much without oversight (hence why Rannoch and Tchunka arcs were brill while Jacob, Miranda, half the other characters and dangling plot threads were utter toss) while they worked on the TIM/Cerberus, Reaper invasion main missions, backstory and big McGuffin ending.

Unfortunately they were making all this up as they went, so it was a massive mess full of half measures and easy, often contradictory plot hole 'solutions' as deadlines came and went.

The ending was written like a month before the game went gold on a napkin, apparently based on where one of them must have read an article on the concept of a Technological Singularity, misunderstood it, then badly explained it to the other over lunch.

Honestly, it's no wonder the ending is so fucking weird, with the magic platform raising shepherd into space without a helmet to hear space hitler explain the ending using the ghost of a small boy he met once for less than a minute, that the Reapers had no way of knowing about, learning the Reapers turned out to be machines built to stop machines killing everyone that decided the best way to do that was to kill everyone, and the pick your poison, one of three shitty endings, none of which work if you think about them too hard.

Really, it's astonishing every game didnt end up as shitty as Anthem before now given that this was the best the two guys in charge could come up with.

Last edited:

Phase

Exactly, all they do is....wait a minute? How many times if any has EA actually REMADE a game?
Remakes, remasters, whatever. There are so many these days. It's just contributing to this currently stale industry. There are a few bright spots here and there thankfully, but every company is so averse to trying something new today. They don't want to assume the risk and they know the remakes/remasters of once popular games will be a safe seller. It's depressing.

prag16

Banned
The Reapers' reasons for harvest is nonsensical. Harvesting organics as machines to keep them from creating machines. SMFH
The Xzibit meme still lives with regard to this apparently. This is the least of the problems with what they did with the plot in ME3. The Leviathan DLC was good. I thought the Reaper logic was "fine" though the way they carried everything out (vent boy, color coded choice, etc) was lame. The Citadel/Arrival/etc issue discussed in this thread is a far bigger problem.

Ascend

The Reapers' reasons for harvest is nonsensical. Harvesting organics as machines to keep them from creating machines. SMFH
It kind of is, on the surface... But technically, it actually is a sort of weird paradox dilemma, which is why it is easily seen as nonsensical. But I'm going to go a bit deeper into this just for a second... Prepare for a wall of text lol.

First thing's first. We have the main basic premise of the Catalyst... That is, that the created (i.e. AI and synthetics) will always rebel against their creators (i.e. organics).

The moment that synthetics become aware and want self-preservation, organics try to kill them off, because they are afraid of the implications... Remember... Synthetics/AI must by default be capable of more than the organics. That is why organics create them in the first place... To help the organics achieve things that they cannot do themselves without the technology. And the fear of being wiped out by what they created, is actually what starts the conflict at first glance... And AI/synthetics being completely rational (most likely) are not likely to trust again, and likely to see mistakes as deliberate attempts of extermination. The fear of AI/synthetics becoming conscious is alive, even in our current world. If tomorrow we find out that through machine learning and AI we have created a conscious system that wants to do its own thing, wouldn't our first inclination be to kill it, to avoid a threat to human existence? Wouldn't we expect it to try and survive, killing us in the process? I think this was what BioWare was trying to let people speculate about... But not many people got to that part... They were stuck at the reapers being the problem, failing to make the additional step that it was organics that ultimately enabled the creation of the reapers.

Despite the Catalyst being created to stop the chaos between organics and synthetics, the catalyst itself is contributing to the problem, like people obviously argue. This is what many people see as the main issue with the ending. The Catalyst also rebelled against its creators, and it also nearly wiped them out. We can hate the reapers and the Catalyst, telling them that they are the source of the problem. We can say that they are hypocrites by causing the chaos. but they are not, because, one of the most important details that people forget is that organics created the Catalyst. This inevitably means that the premise of the Catalyst is correct, whether we like it or not. It's the organics that created a non-organic as powerful as the reapers, that is wiping organics out every 50k years...

It doesn't matter if you look at it from the perspective of a human lifetime, shorter, or for 50k years or longer... Every technology created by organics that becomes conscious, causes a conflict between organics and synthetics. In fact, The existence of the Catalyst by itself is proof of this. Even the AI created to solve the problem, contributed to it instead. The Catalyst itself is therefore the strongest proof ever of this. It is most likely the most advanced AI that has ever been seen, and it cannot fully solve the problem on its own that it was set to solve. It became aware of this... So rather than solving the problem, it decided to mitigate it, with its 'solution', by trying to store data of every organic, before they are at risk of being wiped out completely from existence without any trace. At least this way, they leave a trace that is preserved forever...

Great solution? No... But... My question to all of you is this... Imagine you were the Catalyst, in the sense that you were given the task to resolve these issues between organics and synthetics. What would you have done differently? Can you come up with a better one? Remember that...
- You can't stop organics from creating synthetics
- You can't stop synthetics from being more powerful than organics
- You can't stop the organics from freaking out when their creation becomes conscious
- You can't stop synthetics from developing a desire to survive when organics want to kill it.

What would your solution be?

Dada55000

Ascend Ascend lol, "people dont get what tha Boiware ment", maybe you don't get people

all your paragraphs read like the game built and presented every theme and idea properly and people are mad at the hypothesis which you are arguing for

while in reality the game is a slapped together disjointed mess with the writing being haphazard, dissonant, sloppy, rushed and all over the place in content and presentation, so hackneyed revelations like the ai jesus boy are lambasted for being forced garbage as if created by someone who's a dunning-krueger

you are arguing about the non-contextualised (by every other facet of the game) idea of the writing with people who are shitting on the (frankly atrocious) execution of it
it's literally pointless, and it doesn't even make the writing not terrible even if you can argue for it successfully

Hugare

MIRROR'S EDGE

You can even make a lazy remaster, EA.

The game will look amazing nonetheless. I just need 1080p/60 fps

It kind of is, on the surface... But technically, it actually is a sort of weird paradox dilemma, which is why it is easily seen as nonsensical. But I'm going to go a bit deeper into this just for a second... Prepare for a wall of text lol.

First thing's first. We have the main basic premise of the Catalyst... That is, that the created (i.e. AI and synthetics) will always rebel against their creators (i.e. organics).

The moment that synthetics become aware and want self-preservation, organics try to kill them off, because they are afraid of the implications... Remember... Synthetics/AI must by default be capable of more than the organics. That is why organics create them in the first place... To help the organics achieve things that they cannot do themselves without the technology. And the fear of being wiped out by what they created, is actually what starts the conflict at first glance... And AI/synthetics being completely rational (most likely) are not likely to trust again, and likely to see mistakes as deliberate attempts of extermination. The fear of AI/synthetics becoming conscious is alive, even in our current world. If tomorrow we find out that through machine learning and AI we have created a conscious system that wants to do its own thing, wouldn't our first inclination be to kill it, to avoid a threat to human existence? Wouldn't we expect it to try and survive, killing us in the process? I think this was what BioWare was trying to let people speculate about... But not many people got to that part... They were stuck at the reapers being the problem, failing to make the additional step that it was organics that ultimately enabled the creation of the reapers.

Despite the Catalyst being created to stop the chaos between organics and synthetics, the catalyst itself is contributing to the problem, like people obviously argue. This is what many people see as the main issue with the ending. The Catalyst also rebelled against its creators, and it also nearly wiped them out. We can hate the reapers and the Catalyst, telling them that they are the source of the problem. We can say that they are hypocrites by causing the chaos. but they are not, because, one of the most important details that people forget is that organics created the Catalyst. This inevitably means that the premise of the Catalyst is correct, whether we like it or not. It's the organics that created a non-organic as powerful as the reapers, that is wiping organics out every 50k years...

It doesn't matter if you look at it from the perspective of a human lifetime, shorter, or for 50k years or longer... Every technology created by organics that becomes conscious, causes a conflict between organics and synthetics. In fact, The existence of the Catalyst by itself is proof of this. Even the AI created to solve the problem, contributed to it instead. The Catalyst itself is therefore the strongest proof ever of this. It is most likely the most advanced AI that has ever been seen, and it cannot fully solve the problem on its own that it was set to solve. It became aware of this... So rather than solving the problem, it decided to mitigate it, with its 'solution', by trying to store data of every organic, before they are at risk of being wiped out completely from existence without any trace. At least this way, they leave a trace that is preserved forever...

Great solution? No... But... My question to all of you is this... Imagine you were the Catalyst, in the sense that you were given the task to resolve these issues between organics and synthetics. What would you have done differently? Can you come up with a better one? Remember that...
- You can't stop organics from creating synthetics
- You can't stop synthetics from being more powerful than organics
- You can't stop the organics from freaking out when their creation becomes conscious
- You can't stop synthetics from developing a desire to survive when organics want to kill it.

What would your solution be?
The main problem with this is that it's total bollocks directly contradicted at least once in game by Edi, potentially twice if you make peace with the Geth.

That's even ignoring the fact that it's only a theoretical, potential danger in real life. Treating it as absolute fact when it isn't was always going to cause a failure of suspension of disbelief.

Top Bottom