• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Hints at Possible Acquisition of WB Games

Bryank75

Banned
Edit: Looks like this article is highly speculative and not exactly what Blake Jorgensen (EA CFO) said.

EA has hinted at a possible acquisition of WB Games, which is reportedly up for sale. With an acquisition of WB Games, EA could inherit prominent studios like NetherRealm Studios, Rocksteady, TT Games, and Warner Bros. Montreal. It would also mean it would gobble up valuable IP like Mortal Kombat, plus presumably licensing rights to LEGO, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Batman, and many more. Whether this acquisition will happen or not, who knows. It's reported that Activision, Take-Two Interactive, and Microsoft are also interested, but EA certainly has the money to pull off what will likely be a $2 to $4 billion acquisition.

The subtle hint at the acquisition came during EA's investor call today, where EA revealed "it's more interested than ever" in just not acquiring studios, but the best studios. The comment came from EA CFO Blake Jorgensen, who responded to a question about future acquisitions, including acquisitions involving "big assets." Unfortunately, this is all Jorgensen reveals, but it was enough to catch the attention of the industry and fans of it.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
In order of buying them I’d prefer it to be a big 3rd party like EA or Ubisoft as they’ll stay multiplatform, then MS as they will release all games on Xbox + PC at least, then lastly Sony/Nintendo as they would make them all exclusive. So this is fine if true.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
RIP WB Games :(

Oh well...at least I had a few great Batman and Middle-Earth games because like the saying goes, all good things eventually come to an end. SMH.

EA looms like a cancerous shadow over struggling developer... or not so struggling but soon to be cancer-ridden, as BioWare proved when they changed into NuBioWare. Can't wait to see how they fuck up Respawn if they aren't already doing it.

teezzy

Banned
EA Batman
EA Mortal Kombat

Yeah, it sounds just dire enought tbh. Microsoft should've pounced when they had the chance.

I don't know how I feel about this. Knowing the games will not be tied to one console is a plus though. If EA did buy WB Games I hope games don't suffer under new ownership.

Man I don't believe any of these articles until the ink dries and the checks cut.

Cause ever since WB and their parent company released the reports showing them in debt or w/e, its been a diff company every other week supposedly buying them.

Shit y'all might read an article next week about my broke ass possibly buying them lol

Perrott

Gold Member
Am I the only one who would be completely fine with this? I mean, EA has released some pretty great games this gen (Battlefield 4, Titanfall 1 and 2, Garden Warfare, Apex or 2015's Battlefront game) and even if they fuck up every now and then, sometimes it isn't EA's fault but the studios themselves as with Andromeda or Anthem.

Also, having Battlefield 6, Criterion's Need For Speed, Dragon Age 4, EA Motive's new IP, Harry Potter RPG and Rocksteady's Suicide Squad as part of the same show next year would make one hell of a (E3?) conference!

kretos

Banned
Polish-20200731-005945280.jpg

radewagon

EA? ...man.
Is it sad that I'd rather they got bought out by Konami? At least that way, there wouldn't even be the illusion of game development. Just dependable reliable honest pachinko.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

EA has hinted at a possible acquisition of WB Games, which is reportedly up for sale. With an acquisition of WB Games, EA could inherit prominent studios like NetherRealm Studios, Rocksteady, TT Games, and Warner Bros. Montreal. It would also mean it would gobble up valuable IP like Mortal Kombat, plus presumably licensing rights to LEGO, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Batman, and many more. Whether this acquisition will happen or not, who knows. It's reported that Activision, Take-Two Interactive, and Microsoft are also interested, but EA certainly has the money to pull off what will likely be a $2 to $4 billion acquisition.

The subtle hint at the acquisition came during EA's investor call today, where EA revealed "it's more interested than ever" in just not acquiring studios, but the best studios. The comment came from EA CFO Blake Jorgensen, who responded to a question about future acquisitions, including acquisitions involving "big assets." Unfortunately, this is all Jorgensen reveals, but it was enough to catch the attention of the industry and fans of it.

What an absolutely juvenile clickbait headline selling the writer's speculation as news.

In no shape or form did Jorgensen hint to the acquisition of WB. He did not even name WB.

An investor/analyst asked how EA felt about acquisitions, mentioning as an example a "big asset" for sale, likely (the one who asked the question, not Jorgensen) meaning WB but without naming it.

Jorgensen went on a tirade about the acquisition of Respawn as an example of one that went well to explain that EA is interested in acquiring talent, not games. He mentioned that EA gets to take a look at most of what is for sale, and that it's more interested than ever in acquisitions, even if it may take some time for one to happen (because they want the right fit).

At no point WB was mentioned or hinted at in Jorgensen's response, nor he mentioned wanting to acquire "the best studios" as this writer falsely alleges.

Source: I actually listened to the conference, unlike this writer, who just copied some tweet and made it more clickbaity.

If you want the full quote, my report's here, without the silly clickbait.

I actually wrote an article recently about all the bullshit reports from absolute amateurs that come out of financial conferences every quarter because people don't listen to the conferences and just report from tweets out of context. This is a perfect example of what I meant. 🤔

It takes disgraceful levels of laziness and zero professionalism to make up fake news from random out of context tweets when the recording of the actual conference is available for everyone to listen a click away.

Even funnier is that he cites a tweet that cites my article, but did not bother actually giving credit. I guess that's fine, since I'd feel ashamed to have my work directly linked in this kind of trash article.

Last edited:

Hudo

Well, I hope the studio heads won't be surprised if they're out of a job a few years down the line...

drganon

Kiss WB games goodbye if EA buys them. I'm convinced that company is run by the same cockroach aliens from the first men in black movie.

GamerEDM

Banned
i dont even own an xbox right now and i would rather Microsoft buy them if for nothing but increase competition between the two consoles

giphy.webp

I mean all of WB games sold gangbusters, MK11 alone sold over 10 million copies last year, so why are they selling? and are the IP's up for grabs or just the studios?

MrS

Banned
I’d rather MS owned them and I say that as somebody who has no intention of buying XSX. Putting the IP in the hands of EA is akin to throwing it away. At least these properties would live on in the hands of MS. Bad move for all involved.

Top Bottom