• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Hints at Possible Acquisition of WB Games

ZywyPL

Banned
giphy.gif

Kerotan

I'd be OK with that as playstation would get all the games. Activision actually need them more to vary their line up so surprised they're not going all out.

hemo memo

Gold Member
No. Just no. EA is a graveyard. I would rather Microsoft buy them and release exclusive games that people will enjoy even if I don’t buy an XSX but not EA. EA would just bury that studio.

Kokoloko85

Wow this is awful news.
Why cant they just stay the way it is?

I dont want any of the console makers to have it. Or EA/Activision..... look what they have done with studios like Bioware, Bungie etc

I can't imagine a less appealing alternative. Western AAA development is so thoroughly fucked at this point.

the west is so thoroughly fucked at this point when a crime fighting vigilante is a criminal Nazi and a once popular book is now hated because the author had the audacity to state the sky is blue

In my opinion, MS has to make this deal to bolster it's 1st party and Gamepass if they want to make any significant ground next gen.

Virex

Banned
If EA buys a them then people seem to be forgetting. WB is selling the studios and not the IPs. That all belongs to WB

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
LOL if MS bought them they'd lose pretty much every license agreement they have in place. The rights holders would have them over a barrel too when renegotiating.

Its another multi-platform publisher or bust.

00_Zer0

I hope this doesn't happen. Having NetherRealm's Mortal Kombat labelled with the EA logo seems outright absurd.

Also, I know that WB barely used their Midway properties, but good luck in seeing Midway classics reborn again if EA gets a hold of them. EA rarely revisits their own classics and mostly bows to the latest predictable video game trends in the market.

EA also has a habit of disbanding studios and then dispersing team members to other studios within, or outright shuttering them and letting them go.

Also, think of a great series like Burnout. The once great Criterion is stuck doing Need For Speed games for the rest of their life. Burnout used to be the better series with unique features, but EA had to come in and instead of embracing a different racing genre and allowing it to coexist, they boringly fit them into doing only NFS games.

I think of the unique history of Monolith with the Blood franchise, NOLF, and F.E.A.R, and can't help but to think they could easily be shuttered and forgotten.

EA has a tendency to take studios and homogenize them into a product that is woefully boring and predictable until anything good or original about them is eradicated and left to die in service to the latest trend in the market. Yawn.

PresetError

Neophyte
Pick your poison. Take Two or Activision Blizzard wouldn't have been much better.

And people jumped at me when I said Sony should buy them because exclusivities are lava. It's always better having good exclusive games to play than shitty monetized to death multiplatform games.

Pick your poison. Take Two or Activision Blizzard wouldn't have been much better.

And people jumped at me when I said Sony should buy them because exclusivities are lava. It's always better having good exclusive games to play than shitty monetized to death multiplatform games.

Pick your poison? Why did you leave out MS, which based on polls on this site, resetera and others, were the clear favorites out of the bunch rumored to be in talks.

Nobody is mentioning sony because sony is not in talks to acquire them.

We don't know who is going to end up with them. But if it's a bidding war, MS wins that easily. I think MS has to make this deal personally.

yurinka

Let's hope they don't ruin Mortal Kombat and Rocksteady with their shitty loot boxes, ultimate team, etc.

PresetError

Neophyte
Pick your poison? Why did you leave out MS, which based on polls on this site, resetera and others, were the clear favorites out of the bunch rumored to be in talks.

Nobody is mentioning sony because sony is not in talks to acquire them.

We don't know who is going to end up with them. But if it's a bidding war, MS wins that easily. I think MS has to make this deal personally.

I didn't mention Microsoft because, as I said in my original post where I suggested Sony should buy WB Studios, they would benefit greatly from Sony's parachute in terms of providing quality games without much bullshit in them. And I'm not sure Microsoft could provide that with their current business model of ongoing games as service.

Also, early reports said AT&T while selling wants to keep a percentage of the revenue without investing another dollar and third parties are the way to go if they are looking for long term profit.

Holammer

If you asked me last year I would have recoiled in horror, today? With EA games on Steam and as a neutral multi-platform developer, why not, I'm okay with that.
Everyone gets to enjoy the games, at least until Papa EA takes Rocksteady for the walk.

A.Romero

What an absolutely juvenile clickbait headline selling the writer's speculation as news.

In no shape or form did Jorgensen hint to the acquisition of WB. He did not even name WB.

An investor/analyst asked how EA felt about acquisitions, mentioning as an example a "big asset" for sale, likely (the one who asked the question, not Jorgensen) meaning WB but without naming it.

Jorgensen went on a tirade about the acquisition of Respawn as an example of one that went well to explain that EA is interested in acquiring talent, not games. He mentioned that EA gets to take a look at most of what is for sale, and that it's more interested than ever in acquisitions, even if it may take some time for one to happen (because they want the right fit).

At no point WB was mentioned or hinted at in Jorgensen's response, nor he mentioned wanting to acquire "the best studios" as this writer falsely alleges.

Source: I actually listened to the conference, unlike this writer, who just copied some tweet and made it more clickbaity.

If you want the full quote, my report's here, without the silly clickbait.

I actually wrote an article recently about all the bullshit reports from absolute amateurs that come out of financial conferences every quarter because people don't listen to the conferences and just report from tweets out of context. This is a perfect example of what I meant. 🤔

It takes disgraceful levels of laziness and zero professionalism to make up fake news from random out of context tweets when the recording of the actual conference is available for everyone to listen a click away.

Even funnier is that he cites a tweet that cites my article, but did not bother actually giving credit. I guess that's fine, since I'd feel ashamed to have my work directly linked in this kind of trash article.

Quoting for the new page as new replies seem to be inline of this happening.

Nothing indicates that EA is any more likely to acquire WB than at any point in the past. Don't worry.

Banned
OH SHIT PLEASE NO!

anyone but EA or Activision! WB was already bad enough with their microtransactions, under EA it would get even worse!

Last edited:

Arkam

I dont care who buys them.... I just want that damned Harry Potter game! They need to show it already or officially say they canceled it. I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for over a year..... just for the announcement.

Which is ironic since EA developed the HP games when teh movies were being made. I worked at EA during part of that time and we got to go see the HP movies a day early. Was a fun perk, esp when you would see hundreds of (costumed) HP fans waiting in line for the midnight showing.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
One of the best middle-earth games was published by EA

BiZy1Pn.jpg
Can't say since I never played it. All I know is that EA during that era was better (granted, not by much) than what they currently are. Outside of Respawn due to Zampella being on EA's board of directors or some such shit, I have zero confidence in anything EA develops and/or publishes.

Dolomite

MS over EA. With Gamepass PC, XSX/s/one and even mobile would offer access to nearly as many gamers and not full it to shit with MTX

MS over EA. With Gamepass PC, XSX/s/one and even mobile would offer access to nearly as many gamers and not full it to shit with MTX

MS is in talks with acquiring TikTok now. Not sure if that would damper any potential WB Games acquisition.

Jez mentioned on The Xbox Two podcast with Rand, that he has good reason to believe MS is putting in a bid for WB Games.

Last edited:

Dolomite

MS is in talks with acquiring TikTok now. Not sure if that would damper any potential WB Games acquisition.

Jez mentioned on The Xbox Two podcast with Rand, that he has good reason to believe MS is putting in a bid for WB Games.
True. I feel like those are two different ventures for two different departments. MS as a whole is worth 1.6 trillion but only a fraction of that includes gaming. Fingers crossed

The Alien

Banned
Really pulling for Microsoft at this point.

In another article I read about this EA news, there was a quote that said they are interested in acquisitions "where we have long-term relationships with people".

Does that fit anything previous related to EA and WB?

Hudo

I genuinely don't understand why anyone would sell their studio to EA, unless, of course, the studio itself has no say over it and that deal is made by some higher-ups with degrees in business administration...

EA, throughout their history, have shown a remarkable consistency in their inability to manage acquired studios in the long term.

Now, the only positive here would be that EA usually do multiplatform development, but that doesn't mean much if those games are shit. I'd rather have a Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo exclusive game that is good than a shitty game on all platforms, tbh.

PerfectDark

Banned
EA is not capable of making a good game anymore. Its not possible. I think the last EA games I found to be good was Battlefield 4 and PvZ garden Warfare 2.

Top Bottom