• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Investors Shut Down Company’s Multi-Million Dollar Bonuses

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In most cases, investors generally approve a company’s compensation plan for their executives. After all, the executives do what’s best for their shareholders, and that applies for listed video game companies as much as it does, say, a bank or a mining corporation.

So with that in mind, let’s process the news that investors just shot down EA’s proposed payments to their executives.

It’s not like EA has had a bad year — far from it, in fact. The coronavirus has been good to most listed gaming companies and EA in particular. Their stock is trading at $US143.99 at the time of writing, a sizeable jump from the $US91.77 a share this time last year.

EA’s had a solid string of hits lately too. Apex Legends is motoring along nicely, successes with Jedi: Fallen Order, the excellent Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection and even some goodwill from re-releasing their catalogue on Steam, which has seen classics like Titanfall 2 get a new lease of life.

But despite all that, Bloomberg reports that investors cast nearly 171 million votes against the EA executive pay package versus nearly 60 million votes in favour. It’s a surprise given the corporate backdrop of 2020, with only 2.2 percent of companies in the top 3000 US companies having their executive remuneration shot down.

Part of the issue was EA rewarding their executives with secondary stock awards before the first ones had even vested. “While recognising the need to retain top executives, investors may expect special awards to be relatively infrequent and may question executives receiving multiple special awards in a relatively short period of time,” proxy advisers Institutional Shareholder Services, which backed calls to vote down the EA package, said in late July.

CtW Investment Group went even further, saying EA went “too far in terms of executive pay, piling on exorbitant equity awards” while paying “multimillion dollar bonuses following worker layoffs”. Those layoffs in the financial year included sizeable redundancies at EA’s Melbourne studio, FireMonkeys.

To put the investors’ groups complaints into perspective, EA’s chief technology officer Kenneth Moss and chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen get paid $US691,745 and $US850,000 a year each. However, they also receive annual equity grants which are often much more lucrative. In the 2020 financial year, for instance, Jorgensen and Moss got $US7.5 million and $US5.5 million equity grants. That’s after receiving multi-million dollar equity bonuses in the 2018 financial year.

“The proxy does not discuss the company’s rationale for granting these executives an additional special award on top of the one that is already outstanding. One would think one multimillion dollar retention award at a time would be enough,” CtW argued.

Andrew Wilson, for what it’s worth, received just over $US21 million in annual total compensation for the 2020 financial year, while the “annual total compensation of our median employee was $US97,986”.

In a response following the vote, EA told Bloomberg that “the board and compensation committee will take their feedback into account as part of our ongoing evaluation of our compensation programs”.

Ah, the usual disdain for how regally other people freely decide to pay other people who freely decide to work for them. It's almost as if certain forum members feel it's their money which would have been splurged.

It's not my money. I'm not among the few who'd be getting it. Why would I care? The "options" and "financial incentives " have been freely agreed to in the past by the only people with power and legitimacy to do so. This time around they've decided otherwise. Big deal.

It's nobody else's business.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

Apart from that this is a gaming forum. A place where people can discuss various things in regards to gaming. And EA are a games publisher.
How is it nobody's business to discuss this topic about a Games Publisher?

tillbot8

Banned
I'm a staunch capitalist but company exec bonuses always rubbed me the wrong way. The vast difference in bonuses to low and middle level employees hitting and exceeding targets to higher ups don't reflect the work put in to me! But at the same time no one stopping you from pushing to get to them positions or leaving said companies so I'm a bit torn :/

Ah, the usual disdain for how regally other people freely decide to pay other people who freely decide to work for them. It's almost as if certain forum members feel it's their money which would have been splurged.

It's not my money. I'm not among the few who'd be getting it. Why would I care? The "options" and "financial incentives " have been freely agreed to in the past by the only people with power and legitimacy to do so. This time around they've decided otherwise. Big deal.

It's nobody else's business.
Are you B-Gamer?

Top Bottom