• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA making a "special announcement" at The Game Awards

What is EA's announcement?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say this, but I have a feeling this is it, especially after EA hinted that it wanted to do some "major acquisitions".

I can only imagine the reaction.

Why would Valve want to sell themselves to EA? Valve is a privately owned company, nobody buys Valve unless Valve wants to be bought.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
cc3V7F4.gif

Why is this a gif.

I can say with absolute confidence that it isn't that.

How so? Do you know something I don't?

Why would Valve want to sell themselves to EA? Valve is a privately owned company, nobody buys Valve unless Valve wants to be bought.

Well, maybe they do. The fact is, in these past few years, Valve has basically abandoned their fans. Everything they do know seems obligatory or automated. Some of their games, like TF2, are heavily dependent on the community to make new content.
If Valve just want to make games and experimental hardware, being bought by a huge corporation like EA could help, especially if Valve want to off-load Steam to someone else. (Because honestly, while Steam was way more games and more users, Origin is a better platform in terms of operation and customer service.)

EatMyFace

Banned
Mass Effect on next-gen? Maybe collection?
Origin client coming to Xbox One? Not sure why Microsoft would allow this but anything is possible....

EA launches a console, only EA and Ubisoft games via the new OriginPlay.

HDMI cables, Twitch stream and friend list only with the Ultimate Experience Pa$$

Qassim

Well, maybe they do. The fact is, in these past few years, Valve has basically abandoned their fans. Everything they do know seems obligatory or automated. Some of their games, like TF2, are heavily dependent on the community to make new content.
If Valve just want to make games and experimental hardware, being bought by a huge corporation like EA could help, especially if Valve want to off-load Steam to someone else. (Because honestly, while Steam was way more games and more users, Origin is a better platform in terms of operation and customer service.)

Know something you don't? Probably not - I just seemingly have a better handle on the realities of both Valve and EA.

Besides that, I don't understand where anyone could get off stating that it is a fact that Valve have abandoned their fans. As a Valve fan, these past two years have been the best in the past near-decade.

I just read this article so the poll and the last page or so of discussion confuses me.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-12-02-ea-not-looking-for-big-acquisitions

"I think our history with acquisitions is somewhat marginal in performance," Jorgensen said when asked if EA has identified any acquisition targets in the industry. "We have some that are spectacular, and some that didn't do so well. It's a headcount business, right? You're buying headcount, and that's always difficult to manage in acquisitions. It doesn't mean we won't do them, but I think where we've been most successful is in smaller acquisitions that we've integrated very quickly."

Instead of acquisitions, Jorgensen suggested EA would be more inclined to use its cash on buying back as much stock as possible in any given year. He also said there wasn't much reason to go out and try to buy the next big thing through an acquisition when you already have the talent capable of making that in-house.

Abandoned their fans? Dota 2 is one of the biggest games on the planet and it just released last year. Their output last generation is probably unmatched by any company.

Origin is garbage. Go try to scroll through just their terribly formatted store pages and watch the damn thing stutter and jump around. It's actually pretty surprising that it works so poorly when you consider how bare bones it is compared to Steam. Origin doesnt do even 5% of what Steam does and it still fell apart just from the beta of 1 game when Titanfall came out.

mandiller

I'm dying here. Is this an actual rumor?

Yeah. Store.origin.steampowered.com or some such thing is a thing apparently according to a thread that was locked with no explanation. So valve/EA partnership? Could be all nonsense though

draetenth

1) Fallout/Elder Scrolls exclusive to Origin

2) EA games returning to Steam

Are the only two things I can think of that would be of particular interest to me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sounds like an unprecedented partnership.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I hate to say this, but I have a feeling this is it, especially after EA hinted that it wanted to do some "major acquisitions".

I can only imagine the reaction.

Hell no, Valve would never sell to EA for one thing. Valve is doing very much more than fine just the way they are, they literally have no incentive to sell to anyone right now.

If anything, it's EA folding Origin and coming to Steam full tilt. But I'd say the likelyhood of that is next to nil, EA likes having control (and higher profit margins) of their own titles.

Konosuke

So with Kojima and Peter doing an announcement there and since they are both in the advisory board, can we assume the rest of the board will bring announcements too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom