• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Maxis Studio head Lucy Bradshaw comments on SimCity launch mess and online stuffs

nickcv

They posted in the unemployed thread though.

that's damage control to prevent us from understanding who he/she really is!
[paranoid-mode-on]

anyhow, despite what is going to be the actual truth this thread will have great entertainment value!

Kazerei

Banned
I feel bad for the people at Maxis because they were under the impression, and I'll bet received many assurances, that the Origin team and servers were all under control and would work. Never in their worst nightmares would they think the game would be unplayable for the entire launch week.

I feel bad for you guys too :(

Edit:

What sucks is that the only "heads will roll" (if any do) will be the low level developers in Maxis and not the Origin team.

*sigh* sucks that Maxis cannot release a game without a ton of controversy. First it was the whole DRM thing with Spore. Now it's online-only with SimCity.

I'm torn, on the one hand I could see how the developers and designers wanted to have this vast networked SimCity and the benefits. But sucks that the infrastructure has totally failed them. I mean, if the servers had actually held true, I don't think we'd be having this discussion to these levels.

I still have a hard time believing, like some people, that this game was "engineered" solely to be customer unfriendly and online-only just to utilize DRM.

:( :(

shira

i8VLwKx37S8e.PNG
Wowowowow.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
What weird philosophy and environmentalist talks? I haven rapid attention to the game's development, but I may be interested in this.

So if I remember correctly, the game was announced at GDC, and they spent so much time with like charity people and environmental activists who didn't have anything to do with video games that mods actually moved the stream thread into the OT for a bit.

Here's the thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465712

MormaPope

Banned
GlassBox also posted in a EA/Maxis thread about EA suing Zynga

What is so bothersome about Zynga is that their entire game design philosophy boils down to "lets build games around copying stuff from other successful games, but monetize every aspect of it so we can prey on consumers"

Nothing remotely in that philosophy that deals with "hey, maybe we should design fun games?"

I wish there was an anonymous survey done for the employees of Zynga asking them if they enjoy making the games they do. If they are being honest, I doubt many of them would say yes. The majority of them only work there because Zynga was the only developer in the San Francisco area that was hiring in bulk while every other company cut or closed.

This response seems pretty venomous towards Zynga, a lot of Gaf is like that towards that company, but this response seemed pretty deep seeded.

Here's the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485237

Works in the industry
Gotta love working in this industry.

"And here's the reward for all your hard work getting this game shipped......Right outside the front door!"

Knows about how EA works

They usually don't give press releases or any kind of notes when contractors are let go, since they're contractors and not really employees of EA (they use a temp staffing agency to employ those). So they technically wouldn't be "layoffs"

I think I'm done for the night.

It is possible that GlassBox is a studio plant... which is annoying.

It is possible that GlassBox is so obsessed with Maxis that he chose his name based on their game engine... which is creepy
one quarter joking :)

Seik

Banned
That's a bad attitude to take.

I know. :lol

I personally have nothing against whoever that person might be, because it ain't Riccitello or any of the big hats that probably took that 'always-online' decision. But it's still pretty funny to see DetectiveGAF at work and I think we can agree that, if he/she really works there, he/she didn't do a very good job at being subtle.

Hahahha! That guy kinda sounds like Emperor Palpatine! Hahahaaa! That guy is so funny!
$1 for a reload in BF? ;_;

Yeah, those are some insane thoughts he shares right there. Hopefully they'll never come to fruition. :p

What is happening here?

I replied to a post, it got deleted, then my reply got deleted.

GlassBox has taken control of NeoGAF!!!

I don't really see him pimping anything out, just posting articles anyone could have posted.

It appears that he was a contractor who worked on the game and was let go as development wrapped up. He's invested in making sure his hard work is appreciated.

That's just speculation based on this thread

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think I know why the posts were deleted, and I sort of understand

Killer

Banned
GlassBox we know you work for Maxis. Come out, we won't bite ;).

Edit: The man has spoken! vv
Edit 2: Oh shit banned!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We welcome members of the video game industry posting anonymously on NeoGAF. Obviously, anything someone says on the internet attached to their name can have consequences. We welcome you posting openly, whether in an official capacity or otherwise. Or posting semi-openly, where some people may know who you are but your name's not coming up in Google with everything you say. All of that's fine.

What we don't welcome is this kind of behavior: attempting to distort the news aggregate by posting apologetic articles and accompanying them with an editorial slant favoring your company, all without actually disclosing to anyone here that you work for the company in question. It's akin to when Ken Lobb was pretending to be NeoGAF's biggest totally regular guy Xbox fan.

NeoGAF users can be pretty perceptive, as you've just found out.

Kazerei

Banned
I don't really see him pimping anything out, just posting articles anyone could have posted.

GlassBox did run a bit of damage control in one of the Sim City threads. Here's a few:

It's not just a case of DRM. The game is designed with core features of the simulation to be run on the cloud. It's a completely different beast than simple "Digital Rights".

And despite what a lot of uneducated people think. You can't just "flip a switch" and turn that functionality off like DRM

I just have a problem with calling it "DRM", because this isn't a case of simple DRM, as noted in this article: http://www.vgrevolution.com/2013/03/what-game-publishers-can-learn-from-simcitys-troubled-launch/

If people just want to throw out "DRM" as a boogeyman word to describe what is going on here, well, can't help that I suppose.

But you're assuming that the primary reason for this was piracy only. Where's the evidence to back that up? Other than just "lol EA"?

All the interviews with the Maxis producers, designers and Creative Director Ocean Quigly have indicated that the primary reason for online only was gameplay. I assume though you won't take their word for it and assume they're lying right?

Top Bottom