• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Maxis Studio head Lucy Bradshaw comments on SimCity launch mess and online stuffs

GlassBox did run a bit of damage control in one of the Sim City threads. Here's a few:

See... when I read those posts I thought they sounded like something only a marketing plant/conflict of interests person could say.

You read posts like that on gaf all day every day, it makes you wonder how many plants there are.
Even the massive OP presskit Game:OT threads are starting to make a return on gaf.

Can someone dig up that thread showing EA has about 500 people on their payroll whose job it is to do exactly what glassbox has been doing here?
My google fu is not good.

edit: found it!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468091

Marketing shits on absolutely everything on the planet... including internet forums.

Freki

And those accounts are just the tip of the iceberg, I suppose. Damn it.

Look at this gem of a thread for example: link

Its going to get backed up.
I had no problems at all.
In fact I love the game played if for the past 3 hours if work wasnt tomorrow it would of been
more

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/simcity/user-reviews

Who ever is spamming SimCity user review on Metacritic needs to stop.
The game is really good, stop being a big baby because the server is busy
or you cant make a giant city like you wanted to.
It was very well made and its honestly a way better rating then what these childish
morons are saying. Grow up.

Complaining about you not able to get online is not going to fix the problem....If you are that mad return the game and dont bother with it.

Im pretty sure EA or Maxis or who ever is running the servers is trying to fix
the problem. The game came out yesterday, maybe they didnt think the
game was going to be this popular?

I enjoy the game very much and I hate seeing a game thats good get bashed
just because you're impatient people. Grow up.

We dont need a billion people complaining at the same place at the same time after you just saw someone complaining then going on twitch and the streams and complain

it annoying stop it. I dont care if you cant wait. I paid money too and im perfectly fine waiting or playing another game. Games are not real life.

Its a digital sale theres no refunds on digital items once installed.

Its like that everywhere. Unless its a smartphone app then you have 15 mins lol.

Deal with the problems or just dont play the game.

Why would you refund the game? The game is actually a very good game cant blame the actually game for EA server issue? People worked very hard on that game.

I think people are so narrow minded they only care about me me me now now now.

I understand you paid 60 bucks and you have to wait but ive waited a total of 30 mins and I was playing perfectly fine. Plus Im pretty sure this is not a perm thing Im pretty sure theyre trying to fix the problem.

If you guys keep complaining its not actually fixing the problem youre just being annoying.

All Credit for the digging goes to "TheNatural"

Oh and this one is one of my favourites directly from the thread:
It's funny how people can complain about only online when they don't play the campaign of cod and go straight to multiplayer? My Internet doesn't stop so why complain? Oh I know why because you had to wait to play the game oh that's why you hate the game. Lol

I'm not going to lie here, I thought all this launch stuff didn't matter and was planning on buying Sim City 5 after the server issues calmed down because the game looked fun (to me).

After reading this stuff? Fuck off, even I'm not buying a copy now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If we could properly and accurately pull up the viral accounts, things would be much better on this site. Then I'd know there are actual, normal people having a discussion. I know those corporate defenders can't be real opinions. It's just ridiculous some people could be so willing to get crapped on regularly.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Damn GB, you could have at least tried to be a bit more stealthy. I would never hire you as a Ninja.

If we could properly and accurately pull up the viral accounts, things would be much better on this site. Then I'd know there are actual, normal people having a discussion. I know those corporate defenders can't be real opinions. It's just ridiculous some people could be so willing to get crapped on regularly.

I know right, the fact that you have reason to not 100 percent trust any poster is really really damaging to any kind of reasonable discussion.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I have often wondered how many GAF heated debates are actually taking place only between industry shills.

Jintor

sAWy0Sd.png

shira

We welcome members of the video game industry posting anonymously on NeoGAF. Obviously, anything someone says on the internet attached to their name can have consequences. We welcome you posting openly, whether in an official capacity or otherwise. Or posting semi-openly, where some people may know who you are but your name's not coming up in Google with everything you say. All of that's fine.

What we don't welcome is this kind of behavior: attempting to distort the news aggregate by posting apologetic articles and accompanying them with an editorial slant favoring your company, all without actually disclosing to anyone here that you work for the company in question. It's akin to when Ken Lobb was pretending to be NeoGAF's biggest totally regular guy Xbox fan.

NeoGAF users can be pretty perceptive, as you've just found out.
Great. I love how we can have openly known industry personalities posting and dark/anonymous ones which makes GAF so much more than any other gaming board.

I do kind of wish that Glassbox had a chance to respond.

guggnichso

Banned
Personally, I think everyone of those "are you going all digital with X console" thread starters are industry shills.

Phoenix

Hilarious. It is unfortunate that GB didn't reveal his/her deets because it would have been nice to have an official channel into the madness that is Maxis right now.

Look at this gem of a thread for example: link

All Credit for the digging goes to "TheNatural"

Oh and this one is one of my favourites directly from the thread:
Yeah, I've noticed this guy's recurring posts. It's one of these cases where people are either paid to do that or they're stupid not to be.

Won

I think I can actually live with actual virals. At least I imagine they know how to and where to do their stuff and I at least don't notice it.
But these "in your face" wannabe PR shills.....man they are like everywhere these days and no one can be that bad at his job.

Enthusiastically defend bad business practices on NeoGAF--->start a blog 'reviewing' games created with bad business practices--->get a job as a gaming 'journalist' and regurgitate PR swill--->convert 'street cred' into a real, fancy job working for one of the companies--->post PR spin on NeoGAF. Hakuna Matata!

Enthusiastically defend bad business practices on NeoGAF--->start a blog 'reviewing' games created with bad business practices--->get a job as a gaming 'journalist' and regurgitate PR swill--->convert 'street cred' into a real, fancy job working for one of the companies--->post PR spin on NeoGAF. Hakuna Matata!

Otherwise known as the "Washington, D.C." model.

Was that guy really hiding anything considering his name was literally GLASSBOX?

Sort of surprised noone's calling me a shill in here for all my effort defending the game >.>
I'm not! I SWEAR.

But you know, if.. like, anyone at EA is reading this a Simcity origin key in my PM box would be nice since I don't have it yet. ;p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Was that guy really hiding anything considering his name was literally GLASSBOX?

Sort of surprised noone's calling me a shill in here for all my effort defending the game >.>
I'm not! I SWEAR.

But you know, if.. like, anyone at EA is reading this a Simcity origin key in my PM box would be nice since I don't have it yet. ;p

Well I thought the poster was hiding in plain sight. Apparently that's not the case.

And you're already John Riccitello!

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

I'm not! I SWEAR.

doesn't matter if you get a key. the game won't work.

EYEL1NER

This was a fun thread to watch earlier at work; I usually never get to witness these kind of things go down.
Each new revelation after the initial "Ha, look at his username...coincidence?" posts had me on the edge of my chair and my finger hovering over F5.

Yasae

Banned
So how long till this game gets buried in a landfill? Oh wait, digital copies. So how long before this game gets dele-

I wish Glassbox would have stuck around longer. Maybe we could have gotten some info on the Nintendo/EA relationship. Unlikely, but worth a shot.

So erhm, how does that work? Don't people usually sometimes play a game before defending it?

well I've mostly been arguing with people that can't seem to understand that this is a persistent online game/service and not a case of horribly intrusive anti-consumer DRM for no reason other than preventing piracy like Ubisoft puts out. It's not simple like flipping a switch to activate "single player offline" mode. They'd have to redesign the entire game.

But I did play the beta and I know what this launch is like because I've played MMOs before. It's pretty standard. People have really been overreacting.

JDSN

Banned
Pretty interesting how Polygon seems to be the site that is posting all this inside Simcity info, "Working one on one with the media"indeed.

well I've mostly been arguing with people that can't seem to understand that this is a persistent online game/service and not a case of horribly intrusive anti-consumer DRM for no reason other than preventing piracy like Ubisoft puts out. It's not simple like flipping a switch to activate "single player offline" mode. They'd have to redesign the entire game.

But I did play the beta and I know what this launch is like because I've played MMOs before. It's pretty standard. People have really been overreacting.

Thing is that it IS just that.
There's no reason why they couldn't include an offline mode, none.
The little spreadsheet of pollution, tourism, trade etc from neighbouring cities could just as well be offline scenarios , there is no need for input from a second player here.

It's arbitrary , lazy and stupid.

Not being able to have savegames in a sim city game because of the permanent online connectivity bullshit is just the frosted shit on the cake.

Fistwell

this is a persistent online game/service and not a case of horribly intrusive anti-consumer DRM for no reason other than preventing piracy like Ubisoft puts out. It's not simple like flipping a switch to activate "single player offline" mode. They'd have to redesign the entire game.
Uh.

It's not just a case of DRM. The game is designed with core features of the simulation to be run on the cloud. It's a completely different beast than simple "Digital Rights".

And despite what a lot of uneducated people think. You can't just "flip a switch" and turn that functionality off like DRM

Hah. I had just looked through his post history and that phrasing must've stuck subconciously.
So you're of one's mind with Satan's pawn. How does it feel!? 8D

But, more seriously, and I'm not trying to derail our dear departed's, satan's little helper's thread here, but what does the persistent, online aspect bring to Sim City? Cause, standing from the sidelines (I don't have much of an emotional investment in Sim City in general), it does seem pretty clumsily forced on it.

Edit: and while we're talking about this trainwreck, eurogamer has a piece up discussing how it might/could hopefully affect MS and Sony's decisions for upcoming consoles.

Thing is that it IS just that.
There's no reason why they couldn't include an offline mode, none.
The little spreadsheet of pollution, tourism, trade etc from neighbouring cities could just as well be offline scenarios , there is no need for input from a second player here.

It's arbitrary , lazy and stupid.
It's not even about the neighboring cities, it's just a fact that the engine is designed to have the underlying simulations handled by the cloud, which fucked up the launch since somehow they weren't prepared for the stress that would bring.

They can't just turn that off but I really really really don't think it'll be an issue going forward once the launch rush dies off.

Hah. I had just looked through his post history and that phrasing must've stuck subconciously.

Heh, no confusion here on why I'm depressed. No job, no friends (never had any kind of gf), no social life, no appreciation of my skills (if I have any), have to take medication so I don't become a complete wreck. I think that pretty much covers it.

For the record I don't think he was a total schill.

And I agree a lot of corporate defenders when it comes to anti-consumer practices baffle me and being on payroll would go a long way towards explaining it.

It's not even about the neighboring cities, it's just a fact that the engine is designed to have the underlying simulations handled by the cloud, which fucked up the launch since somehow they weren't prepared for the stress that would bring.

They can't just turn that off but I really really really don't think it'll be an issue going forward once the launch rush dies off.
Yes and why was it designed to be handled by the cloud?

Blizzard said the same shit about Diablo 3 before and at release, and now they have offline play for the console versions. You seriously expect us to believe the same bullshit twice?

Yasae

Banned
Uh.

But, more seriously, and I'm not trying to derail our dear departed's, satan's little helper's thread here, but what does the persistent, online aspect bring to Sim City? Cause, standing from the sidelines (I don't have much of an emotional investment in Sim City in general), it does seem pretty clumsily forced on it.
Key word: forced. Not added, not expanded upon. Shoved down our throats - out of the clear blue with no real consumer desire.

This backlash is several waves of disgust - Diablo III, Uplay, Origin etc. Gamers don't want this garbage; they merely suffer through it. Nobody can support it; they merely suffer through its existence.

Nobody fucking wants it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Stop calling it MMO. It's not.

Dali

Thread title should be changed to show what went down. Something like "longtime ea shill caught in the act. (banned)". I dunno something creative. As it is its still rewarding EA for its plants. Both should be shamed as much as possible as the practice is despicable and attacks the very core of the forum.

DiscoJer

But really, why would "the cloud" be needed? Why can't the player's computer do that? I find it hard to believe that those things could be done more efficiently by computers on EA's end. I mean, what, do they have a better computer than each one the person is playing on (and one for everyone playing the game)? I would imagine the graphics are mostly being handled by the video card, leaving the CPUs free to do the calculations. It's not like it's doing something really complex, like physics...

I suspect it's just a phony justification

Top Bottom