• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Maxis Studio head Lucy Bradshaw comments on SimCity launch mess and online stuffs

Fistwell

Yeah, those are some insane thoughts he shares right there. Hopefully they'll never come to fruition. :p
It's a little terrifying and disheartening he's even entertaining such thoughts. Deep down, this is what the CEO of one of the biggest publishers wants to do. Suck as much money out of players as legally possible.

Edit: oh, I see.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
i8VLwKx37S8e.PNG
We welcome members of the video game industry posting anonymously on NeoGAF. Obviously, anything someone says on the internet attached to their name can have consequences. We welcome you posting openly, whether in an official capacity or otherwise. Or posting semi-openly, where some people may know who you are but your name's not coming up in Google with everything you say. All of that's fine.

What we don't welcome is this kind of behavior: attempting to distort the news aggregate by posting apologetic articles and accompanying them with an editorial slant favoring your company, all without actually disclosing to anyone here that you work for the company in question. It's akin to when Ken Lobb was pretending to be NeoGAF's biggest totally regular guy Xbox fan.

NeoGAF users can be pretty perceptive, as you've just found out.

For the top of the page.

and Glassbox is gone

Won

Too bad. I enjoyed his very insightful posts of the inner workings of the amazing GlassBox engine and its interaction with the EA servers to deliver an MMO experience we never witnessed before.

Seik

Banned
BOOM! That ended quite quickly.

NeoGAF users can be pretty perceptive, as you've just found out.

Seriously, DetectiveGAF could be capable of closing folders of unsolved murders.

Open an office with the key members! There's tons money to make and tons cases to solve! :D

MormaPope

Banned
So someone that either formerly worked for Maxis/EA or still was and was lying in other threads about their employment/life tried to pimp SimCity and defend it.

SimCity and everything along with it is some of the most stenchy shit I've ever witnessed.

I wonder if this is a phenomenon we'll see more of (or already do).

Marketing department gets account(s) on NeoGAF, hands it off to low-level employees to do enough posting to get member status and be active and then takes over when some 'messaging' is required.

I see some posts from people who speak marketing lingo and it always gets me to wondering.

Of course, naming the account GlassBox is sort of a dead giveaway!

Yagharek

I wonder if this is a phenomenon we'll see more of (or already do).

Marketing department gets account(s) on NeoGAF, hands it off to low-level employees to do enough posting to get member status and be active and then takes over when some 'messaging' is required.

I see some posts from people who speak marketing lingo and it always gets me to wondering.

Of course, naming the account GlassBox is sort of a dead giveaway!

But your account name is longdarkriversofhell.

How do we know you aren't a janitor in Bobby Kotick's halls? :p

GlassBox.

It's in the name.

PERFECT

I saw a talk with Gaben (gary) where he was talking up crowdsourcing and he said "You can't lie to reddit." Basically the implication was that so many people there will check the validity of what you're saying that you can't bullshit them.

I think that's true of neogaf also. And EviLore's sending off post was wonderful.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
What Blizzard can't do, despite fan requests, Wilson said, is simply strip out the always-online architecture of the game.

"An online interconnected world has been part of our design philosophy since day one," he said. "It's the game that we've been wanting to create since Diablo 2 as we've wanted to explore the dynamics between players as they exist within regions. Real towns don't exist in bubbles; they specialize and trade resources, workers and more.

If the recent DRM debacle of SimCity doesn't put an end to the insistent apologetic nature of certain people defending abhorrent and draconian business practices like these then it will never stop. "Get better internet", "My ISP never goes down", "It's ok I'll just do something else while the servers are down" and other tripe like that. Ya'll think the SimCity servers are going to be up in 10 years? 5 years? I'll still be able to play SimCity classic 2019 a cool 30 odd years after it got released, I'll be shocked if I can play SimCity 2013 6 years from now.

kirblar

I could understand the rationale behind the always-online for D3 due to Blizzard trying to regulate the secondary gear market via the RMAH. There ended up being tremendous issues with the implementation, but the logic was there.

With SimCity, it just doesn't make sense. This is a simulator, the epitome of single-player marathon sessioning. It's not even a competitive game!

I could understand the rationale behind the always-online for D3 due to Blizzard trying to regulate the secondary gear market via the RMAH. There ended up being tremendous issues with the implementation, but the logic was there.

With SimCity, it just doesn't make sense. This is a simulator, the epitome of single-player marathon sessioning. It's not even a competitive game!

Hey, hey!

You can't just flip a switch, man.

I saw a talk with Gaben (gary) where he was talking up crowdsourcing and he said "You can't lie to reddit." Basically the implication was that so many people there will check the validity of what you're saying that you can't bullshit them.

I think that's true of neogaf also. And EviLore's sending off post was wonderful.

That's the entire internet now.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Well I guess you're right in a sense, then again D3 is coming to Ps3/4 without DRM and most certainly without somekind of RMAH. So whatever 'eureka' moment they had in the console version that facilitated the removal of garbage like that I'm sure could (have) be(en) implemented in the PC version ( hint : it won't ).

Ya'll think the SimCity servers are going to be up in 10 years? 5 years? I'll still be able to play SimCity classic 2019 a cool 30 odd years after it got released, I'll be shocked if I can play SimCity 2013 6 years from now.

Oh, of course they won't be up. Why give players that option when they can (be forced to) experience the new SimCity with all the new content?

And once again, pirates will likely and ironically come to the rescue by running illegal servers (or, more likely, provide patches) so players can, with a bit of hackery, keep playing their purchased game.

That's the entire internet now.

It's too bad that approach doesn't always work. See: politics.

kirblar

Well I guess you're right in a sense, then again D3 is coming to Ps3/4 so without DRM and most certainly without somekind of RMAH. So whatever 'eureka' moment they had in the console version that facilitated the removal of garbage like that I'm sure could (have) be(en) implemented in the PC version ( hint : it won't ).
Well, the "Eureka" moment was likely the horrific realization that they had turned the game into a gold grind because of the way the gold AH warps gameplay. They also may not be sure if they can get the RMAH integrated fully with the PS versions right now. But given the "double standard" they're creating, I would be surprised if by the next X-Pack launch there was no offline mode for the PC. Talk about an s-storm waiting to happen.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Thankfully, GAF discovered more evidence. Hilarious.

GlassBox just got shitted on in reverse and sucked into a brown hole.

DiscoJer

They try to explain about saying "all cities are interconnected" and they work together, but that's not really the case where I live (St. Louis). Basically the closest cities are all about 250 miles away either to the West (KC) NE (Chicago) or SE (Memphis)

I guess maybe they were trying to simulate the sprawling cities in Southern California? Like how you have Oakland right nearby San Francisco? Or in the North East?

markot

Banned
I like how its the usual 'oh my so popular we cant cope!' crap they always pull out...

If it wasnt always online, you wouldnt need to copeeeeeeee!

Yasae

Banned
They try to explain about saying "all cities are interconnected" and they work together, but that's not really the case where I live (St. Louis). Basically the closest cities are all about 250 miles away either to the West (KC) NE (Chicago) or SE (Memphis)

I guess maybe they were trying to simulate the sprawling cities in Southern California? Like how you have Oakland right nearby San Francisco? Or in the North East?
It's not a gameplay feature you force on people via online-only functionality, either. The arrogance of the developers is truly staggering in this case. Surely they were more than well aware of public perception.

Glassbox's spin doesn't even compute. You're telling me you can't make a single-player game anymore? Jesus. How the mighty have fallen.

CTLance

What a shame, I missed the fun. Oh well, one day my large collection of tar and exotic feathers will be useful.

To be honest, the fact that this thread is at best the very tip of the tip of the iceberg really makes me queasy. Not to put down Evilore and his team of mods and admins, but I'm sure we're already wading through vast amounts of marketing/PR posts. It's only the blatantly obvious ones that get caught.

Godspeed, OP. Next time just tell us outright that you're related to the product and maybe we can get a serious discussion going. This is, after all, an Internet forum. We love to talk.

Top Bottom