• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA & Nexon making f2p online version of Titanfall for Asia

catmario

http://www.gamefocus.co.kr/detail.php?number=49779&thread=22r02

According to Gamefocus, EA and Nexon has signed a contract for the development of Titanfall Online (temp).

The develop studio for Titanfall Online (temp) will be Nexon GT company. Nexon GT already made Task Force for this game and started R&D.

Nexon GT is well-known for "Sudden Attack" and "Talesweaver". GameHi and Nextoric are merged together at 2014, and they have changed the name to Nexon GT.

EDIT1: PR out now.
Nexon and Electronic Arts to Bring PC Online Titanfall™ Experience to Asia

TOKYO – July 28, 2015 – NEXON Co., Ltd. (“Nexon”) (3659.TO), a worldwide leader in online games, today announced its Korean subsidiary, NEXON Korea Corporation, has entered into a game development and publishing agreement with Electronic Arts Inc. (“EA”) to bring a PC online version of the critically-acclaimed, first-person shooter game, Titanfall™, originally developed by Respawn Entertainment and published by EA, to players in Asia.

Respawn Entertainment – which was co-founded by Vince Zampella, one of the co-creators of the multi-billion dollar franchise CALL OF DUTY™ and co-founders of its development studio, Infinity Ward – is an independent video game development studio located in Los Angeles, California.

“With its pilot vs. titan gameplay, among other innovations, Titanfall is a uniquely intense game experience. We look forward to working with the talented teams at Respawn and EA and leveraging Nexon’s free-to-play expertise to deliver a new and engaging online game based on Titanfall to the Asian market,” said Owen Mahoney, President and Chief Executive Officer of Nexon.

Today’s announcement marks the third collaboration between Nexon and EA, building on the continued success of EA SPORTS™ FIFA Online 3, currently the #1 online sports game in Korea. With this agreement, Nexon, EA and Respawn will bring an exciting new online experience to players in Asia.

Nexon is committed to providing players with high-quality, deeply creative and entertaining games. The Company develops and services its broad portfolio of titles around the world through a combination of in-house development and strategic partnerships.

EA is a global leader in digital interactive entertainment. The company delivers games, content and online services for consoles, PC and mobile devices, including blockbuster titles like EA SPORTS FIFATM, The SimsTM and BattlefieldTM.

Source (Thanks! salromano!!)

Eject me if old.

DeSolos

This is for markets that don't have strong AAA support, and expect everything to be free to play.

Mostly Asian markets like China and South Korea. CoD and Halo have their own games of this style as well irc.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
This will probably be Asia only.
Yup a F2P online for the Asian markets.

Expect a full fledged Titanfall 2 from Respawn with a bigger budget and solutions to the issues with the first game.

Disclaimer: Not an insider, just an educated guess.

EA = western devil of publishers
Nexon = eastern devil of publishers

Gaming is officially entering a new era of darkness with this coordinated attack on our wallets.

I would actually love a halowars esque titanfall rts , would help build some of the lore the first game was lacking.

Didnt realise ea owned the ip, Thought that was respawns .

Eggbok

Yup a F2P online for the Asian markets.

Expect a full fledged Titanfall 2 from Respawn with a bigger budget and solutions to the issues with the first game.

Disclaimer: Not an insider, just an educated guess.

Didn't Vince Zampella already confirm Titanfall 2 would be on PS4, XB1 and PC? And if Respawn isn't apart of this I imagine this isn't the Titanfall we're looking for.

Briarios

This is like saying that scientists partnered together to make water wet. It's already an online only game -- they're really partnering to try and monetize it more. It seems like it could really kind of hurt the IP's value -- turning it F2P, unless they feel the IP is already mostly dead ....

Titanfall... Online. That shit's redundant!

Not gonna lie though, if the F2P model is decent, I'll try it out. The base game is no doubt very fun.

This is like saying that scientists partnered together to make water wet. It's already an online only game -- they're really partnering to try and monetize it more. It seems like it could really kind of hurt the IP's value -- turning it F2P, unless they feel the IP is already mostly dead ....

Not really. Is for Asian markets.

Besides all the obvious hur hur titanfall is already online only, i thought respawn or whatever the ex cod guys call themselves owned the ip

Mechazawa

Besides all the obvious hur hur titanfall is already online only, i thought respawn or whatever the ex cod guys call themselves owned the ip

They do.

It's really weird that this is something they signed on for, but if it's for foreign markets, I guess they like the exposure?

JMTHEFOX

Before you guys bring out your pitchforks and torches, this is being pubished in Korea by Nexon Korea (who has a decent track record compared to the other branches). Just saying.

Calling it Titanfall Online makes me think this will be a MMO. Maybe it's a Destiny like.

Edit: Oh, ok. Getting into that mecha market.

Valnen

I don't see this much panicking about Nexon in the Tree of Savior thread...

Let's at least see the game before we freak out?

Calling it Titanfall Online makes me think this will be a MMO. Maybe it's a Destiny like.

Every licensed game is followed by "Online" there. You have:

Call of Duty Online
Counter Strike Online
FIFA Online
NBA 2K Online
Civilization Online
Borderlands Online

And so on.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Might be a good idea to actually garner interest in the IP before spinning of an MMO from it. These guys are jumping the gun by a few years.

catmario

Titanfall "Online"? So just like the first one?

At least for sure is, This online game will get NEXON TREATMENT.

Titanfall has already released on Korea and most of asian market (maybe except for China though), So Nexon will completely modify Titanfall to releasing as F2P online game.

Top Bottom