• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: No new Battlefield for a couple of years, Battlefront 2 much bigger content wise

Speaking at Nasdaq’s 35th Investor Program, Electronic Arts CFO Blake Jorgensen said the company would not have a new Battlefield game for “a couple of years,” opting to focus on a new Star Wars Battlefront. The Battlefield series has released titles with wider gaps in recent years.
Source
Send me away for a couple of years if old.

Cynn

Good. Let BF1 have a long stretch. The game is fantastic.

...Just make sure to provide a Scorpio patch when available please.

Sounds good to me. Just keep up support for Battlefield 1 with fresh maps and modes for the next 2-3 years and let people get some real excitement for the next game.

Boke1879

A Battlefield game just came out...so this should be obvious.

Makes me think they're just throwing shade at CoD.

It's definitely possible, but isn't DICE making the next Battlefront game? It would make sense that they would hold off since they are just one Studio.

COD can afford this since they have 3 different studios.

It's definitely possible, but isn't DICE making the next Battlefront game? It would make sense that they would hold off since they are just one Studio.

COD can afford this since they have 3 different studios.

While DICE is one studio, the teams that make Battlefield and Battlefront are separate.

lazerfox

Glad to hear that. Hardline was mediocre at best.

I hope they put a bit more work into the campaign. Battlefield 1 was a good start and maybe they can improve on it in Battlefield 5.

Then how come screens of Battlefield 2 are already out there?

battlefield-2-20080602041134952-2419524_320w.jpg

/s

Well yeah, they typically go at least 2 years between main releases. BC2 to BF3 was an exception.

Next fall is Star Wars Battlefront 2 (yes it will have a campaign, by Motive).

I wonder what Battlefield 5 is gonna be like.

...man, I did not expect to still be wondering that today like I was 6 months ago.

Alienous

Well 2 years counts as "a couple" so I'm not sure anything has changed from Battlefield's recent mainline release schedule.

Could just be "We're not doing another Hardline-like release", which was an outlier anyway.

Wasn't this already known? I thought they were going to alternate Battlefront and Battlefield every year, or am I imagining that.

Activision should do the same with Destiny and COD actually.

KDC720

Good idea. BF4, Hardline, and Battlefront all seem to be pretty active still (well on consoles anyway), and BF1 just came out. I would be absolutely fine with no new Battlefields or Battlefield type games for a few years.

AudioEppa

Wasn't this already known? I thought they were going to alternate Battlefront and Battlefield every year, or am I imagining that.

Activision should do the same with Destiny and COD actually.

Activision would never do that, which I'm sure is obvious lol

Their formula is to have a big release every November and it works for them, despite the reception towards their current game.

Kid Heart

I'm fine with this. Map packs will still be released regularly throughout the next year or two, so it's not like there will be no Battlefield content released within the time period. I can wait a while for another mainline game.

Aselith

That's because Bad Company is going to be spun into it's own brand! Bad Company: The Battlefields coming 2017

Hmm sounds like they want to alternate between the two even though that could still potentially saturate the market. But at least they have different name titles and settings so that should help.

Smart, plus they dont really have a choice if they wanna make Battlefront2. But im happy, as long as they support the game with lots of content ill be happy. Dont need a BF every year and i love this setting so keep here as long as possible.

Is this news? Two years was the same gap between Bad Company 1 and 2, BF3 and BF4, then BF4 and BF1. We know Battlefront 2 is coming next year so it's obvious that Battlefield is not.

Top Bottom