• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Plotting Patch for Dead Space PS5 Remake's Bugged Graphics

skneogaf

Surely just a dynamic resolution would be a better solution or 720p ps5 and 1080p xbox series x oh and 360p for series s

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I was so busy doing the stompy-stompy I didn't even really notice, but now that you mention it...

No, he didn't. He specifically points out that vrs degrades the image on BOTH the xbox and ps5 versions, and that the xbox version is affected "Not quite to the same degree but it's still pretty awful".
He even provides a screenshot to show this. Hmmm the screenshots were in a different tweet.
Damnit, did MS lie that they had a full feature set AMD chip? /s

Just responding on the people that think the PS5 has a mangled chip lol…

skneogaf

720p and 1080p? That's 2.25x the number of pixels, you actually think the XSX is that much more powerful than the PS5?
I've got absolutely no idea, I also couldn't care less.

What I was suggesting is to give good performance as both weak in an awful lot of games like this remake of dead space and if extremely low resolutions is the only way is give 60fps with all graphical effects on like I have switched on using the pc version with my 4090 then so be it.

900p ps5 and 1080p xbox series x then or both 1080p if the removal of Dr's evens out the performance.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
We have threads for run of the mill patches now?

Dibils2k

Its kind of annoying that i will be finished with the game and then they will release a patch that improves visual quality drastically, atleast i am on xbox and seems the issue isnt as bad

I would wait but its the first time i am ever playing this game and its awesome so want to keep playing :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've got absolutely no idea, I also couldn't care less.

What I was suggesting is to give good performance as both weak in an awful lot of games like this remake of dead space and if extremely low resolutions is the only way is give 60fps with all graphical effects on like I have switched on using the pc version with my 4090 then so be it.

900p ps5 and 1080p xbox series x then or both 1080p if the removal of Dr's evens out the performance.

720p would be unacceptable on either console. The way this game looks it SHOULD be able to run at 1440p60 on both of them. Don't know what's wrong with their engine.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Do they have to plot for a fucking patch?:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
EA plotting the Dead Space patch:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

I must say, on my pc with a 2070super it runs surprisingly well except some rare instances in the beginning when the framerate was like single digit for a couple of seconds.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
It uses software VRS rather than hardware VRS.

It's still not a valid excuse for having worse output, though.
Compute-based VRS can be more flexible and provide higher granularity than hardware VRS Tier 2, resulting in similar or better performance/quality trade-offs.
CoD's IW Engine uses software VRS for this reason, for example.

86mxQb7.jpg

This might be part of the reason why Sony preferred to use the older ROPs from RDNA1 on their RDNA2 GPU. The RDNA1 Render Backends lack hardware VRS Tier 2 functionality of the RB+ but IIRC they have twice the z/stencil ROPs.
The RDNA1 ROPs do seem to take up significantly more space / transistors than the RDNA2 ROPs on the same process node, after all.

In this case, it seems that Motive's implementation of software VRS is just not very good, and that's something they're working on.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It’s what the developers of the game told him. The people who MADE THE GAME told him the XSX version runs on hardware VRS 2 and the PS5 uses software.

Where did he say, "PS5 version’s issues arise from the need to use software VRS?"

This is how the conversation went:
Twitter guy: "Are you seeing any differences between the use of VRS on Xbox vs PS5?"

John: "You are correct. It's software VRS on PS5, hardware on Xbox."

Twitter guy: "If so, I'd guess that the VRS is using tier 1 on all platforms - which is too heavy handed. VRS tier 2 when implemented correctly should cause almost no visual degradation."

John: "However, in this case, even Tier 2 hugely degrades image quality on Xbox. Not quite to the same degree but it's still pretty awful. I think there's an issue with its implementation."

Both Xbox and PS5 VRS implementation is "awful," according to John. EA has also acknowledged the implementation in their bug and is rolling out the patch.

John did not say that the PS5 VRS issue is because it's software-based. And because Xbox's VRS implementation is hardware-based, there are no issues on the XSX.

You should edit your original comment.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Like David Springate says Tier 2 VRS shouldn't really be visible to the player if used correctly. You couldn't see it in gameplay on Gears 5 and it's been improved since then.

Probably why it looks invisible on the new Forza now it's plumbed in. Software versions like on Metro 2033 never seem to work as well giving poor results.

Hopefully EA getting sorted out.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Where did he say, "PS5 version’s issues arise from the need to use software VRS?"

This is how the conversation went:

Both Xbox and PS5 VRS implementation is "awful," according to John. EA has also acknowledged the implementation in their bug and is rolling out the patch.

John did not say that the PS5 VRS issue is because it's software-based. And because Xbox's VRS implementation is hardware-based, there are no issues on the XSX.

You should edit your original comment.

screenshot_20230130_1rnc23.jpg

I hear a lot of people saying Xbox VRS is hardware based vs PS5 is software...what does that mean?

Edit: hardware = built-in GPU solution whereas software = per-application solution?

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
How does that differ from a Software-based solution?

To you it makes no difference whatsoever, save for this one instance on Dead Space that is reportedly being solved by the developers.

The Call of Duty developers have shown how software (i.e. running on the GPU's compute shaders) VRS can get similar results to DX12 Ultimate's Tier 2 VRS, and as engines start using software triangles (like Unreal Engine 5's Nanite) this is sounding like the way to go in the future.
Truth be told, especially now with dual-issue ALUs being on the newest AMD and Nvidia architectures the compute throughput of new GPU architectures has been increasing much faster than pixel fillrate or bandwidth, so it's expected that more stuff gets done through the GPUs' ALUs in the form of compute shaders, or what you're calling "software-based" solutions.

Of course, Microsoft's local marketeers will swear to you that hardware VRS is one of the many magical special sauces that will make all 3rd-party games run 50-100% faster on the Series X than the PS5.
And they'll swear by that despite us being now in the 3rd year of the 9th-gen consoles and virtually all 3rd-party games showing very similar visuals and performance between the PS5 and the Series X.

They'll be the ones putting the "LOL" reaction emoji on informative posts, because apparently it's funny how wrong they were proven to be during these last 2 years.

Rockman33

Its kind of annoying that i will be finished with the game and then they will release a patch that improves visual quality drastically, atleast i am on xbox and seems the issue isnt as bad

I would wait but its the first time i am ever playing this game and its awesome so want to keep playing :messenger_grinning_smiling:
The majority of big games these days. Waiting 1-3 months get you a price cut and drastically better performance.

Vick

Gold Member
Patch should be Live right now, and stated to solve the issue.

Please someone let me know how Performance Mode looks now so I can proceed to buy the game immediately.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Addressed PS5 performance related issues.
Added a new option to disable VRS on PC.
Addressed various glitches and bugs.
Addressed an issue related to black screen issue.
Added stability and performance fixed.
Added general stability fixes.

Hopefully it's improved.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Why are so many people pretending to know what VRS is and how the PS5's architecture is the problem? If the game looks worse than other PS5 games, then it is probably not something inherent to the PS5 but the normal slipshod QA that is present in every damn new game these days.
Because that’s what the developers said.

Top Bottom