• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: PS4+Xbox One install base at over 55m Worldwide.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Not when your "estimate" is a multiple of 5. In that case, being off by millions is not only possible but probable.

No, they didn't say that. Zhuge didn't report this accurately.
If you estimate 53M as 55M then you're a terrible analyst. 2M range is insanely large considering the potential dollar value.

The stat comes from before 2016 started.
What does that have anything to do with it?

If you estimate 53M as 55M then you're a terrible analyst. 2M range is insanely large considering the potential dollar value.
Estimates with only one significant digit are not unusual in business analysis. That's especially true in cases like this, where it's only one factor among many in the results you're trying to predict. Falsely confident precision is also an analytical error.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Estimates with only one significant digit are not unusual in business analysis. That's especially true in cases like this, where it's only one factor among many in the results you're trying to predict. Falsely confident precision is also an analytical error.
One significant digit is a hundred thousand in this case...meaning you're proving my point.
If it was closer to 53M then they'd estimate at most 54M not 55M.

How much did the XB1 sell in 2014? I know that it sold through 3 million by the end of 2013, but MS stopped reporting sold-through numbers since. I'm just curious if the XB1 was up or flat YOY in 2015.

Javin98

Banned
How much did the XB1 sell in 2014? I know that it sold through 3 million by the end of 2013, but MS stopped reporting sold-through numbers since. I'm just curious if the XB1 was up or flat YOY in 2015.
The problem is, we don't have concrete evidence for sold through figures since the end of 2013. Estimations for sold through figures by the end of 2014 range from 9.75 million to 10.5 million. So, that would be 6.75 million to 7.5 million sold in 2014. On the other hand, estimations at the end of 2015 range from 18 million to 19.5 million. If we take 9.75 million as a base, that would be 8.25 million to 9.75 million sold in 2015. With 10.5 million as a base, 7.5 million to 9 million were sold in 2015. So depending on your own estimations, this can vary greatly. But who cares, MAU's are the most important measurement of success.

etta

my hard graphic balls
But who cares, MAU's are the most important measurement of success.
You're mocking them for doing what they can to keep up a positive perception, which is their job.
I wouldn't want to be mocked for doing my job, but that's just me.

holy shit. it seems xbox has no fans on this forum, any good news is treated with negativity, and bad news with open arms, lol.

The problem is, we don't have concrete evidence for sold through figures since the end of 2013. Estimations for sold through figures by the end of 2014 range from 9.75 million to 10.5 million. So, that would be 6.75 million to 7.5 million sold in 2014. On the other hand, estimations at the end of 2015 range from 18 million to 19.5 million. If we take 9.75 million as a base, that would be 8.25 million to 9.75 million sold in 2015. With 10.5 million as a base, 7.5 million to 9 million were sold in 2015. So depending on your own estimations, this can vary greatly. But who cares, MAU's are the most important measurement of success.

I see. The way you put it, there is no way to determine if the XB1 is up or down YOY in 2015. Well that's disappointing. Thanks anyway.

You're mocking them for doing what they can to keep up a positive perception, which is their job.

It's a harmless joke, so I don't see any problem with it.

Ryng_tolu

Banned

Nobody know. But we can estimate.

Personally, i think the XB1 is at 10.5 million sold through by end of 2015... but this is just an estimate.

are you serious? They could just do "Xbox Family" like Sony did last gen. Or, ya know' something else. It's there job to be disingenuous, and you have a problem with it being mocked?

holy shit. it seems xbox has no fans on this forum, any good news is treated with negativity, and bad news with open arms, lol.
well they did try to anti-consumer everybody '-)

You should have seen how Sony got butchered early last gen, it was worse, IIRC, equal at best, Nintendo just gets ignored, but has lots of long-time fans.

Javin98

Banned
It's just a joke. Now, now, I never meant to offend anyone, you gotta believe me!

P.S. This only makes sense if you read it in the Joker's voice.

I see. The way you put it, there is no way to determine if the XB1 is up or down YOY in 2015. Well that's disappointing. Thanks anyway.
Yep, estimations are the best we got since Microsoft refused to give sold through numbers.

So <20M Xbones was a good estimate.

Time to break out the crow?
For who? Most people has the X1 between 17.5-19 million sold in to customers.

Lol...the xbox fans are constantly trying to act like people diminish the sales for X1, like do you guys go to the SalesGaf? That's all they talk about over there. It's a constant numbers crunch.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I think theprodigy was referring to your typo on the year. You meant to say 2014, but you typed 2015 instead :p

giphy.gif

Welfare

EA, a PUBLISHER of video game software for these 2 consoles that was previously estimating only just over 50m consoles at the end of the year (50m-51m), who would be ecstatic for an extra +4-5m potential customers, is actually just overestimating one console by ~2m because that is somehow reasonable and not in anyway impossible.

lmao

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
Great stuff. Consoles selling this well is freaking awesome!

For who? Most people has the X1 between 17.5-19 million sold in to customers.

Lol...the xbox fans are constantly trying to act like people diminish the sales for X1, like do you guys go to the SalesGaf? That's all they talk about over there. It's a constant numbers crunch.
I'm referring to specific people in sales threads who couldn't imagine a world where <20M was possible. Throwing around estimates of 22M as if they were even remotely reasonable and shitting on the regular top quality posters in that thread with lower (correct) estimates. It's not a big list, but they do exist.

all in all i'm thinking were going back to a ps2 level generation of console sales, probably 170 million combined total wiiu/ps4/xbone, still very healthy.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
all in all i'm thinking were going back to a ps2 level generation of console sales, probably 170 million combined total wiiu/ps4/xbone, still very healthy.

I will go with 155,000,000 PS4+XB1+WIU, with PS4 at 100 million, XB1 at 40 million, and Wii U at 15 million.

IDK, PS2 was on sale for a long, long time to reach that number. I don't think the XBO and PS4 will be sold much longer than the normal 5-6 year cycle

I will go with 155,000,000 PS4+XB1+WIU, with PS4 at 100 million, XB1 at 40 million, and Wii U at 15 million.

What do you think is gonna cause the XBO to decelerate so steeply? Or are you expecting an early end for the next system?

etta

my hard graphic balls
are you serious? They could just do "Xbox Family" like Sony did last gen. Or, ya know' something else. It's there job to be disingenuous, and you have a problem with it being mocked?
They're just presenting data in a way that doesn't cause investors to panic. Whether you believe this manipulation of data is disingenuous just because you're not getting the numbers you want doesn't make it so. At the end of the day they are making the best with what they got, you'd do the same for a paycheck and so would I.
Don't do unto others what you wouldn't want done unto you and all that.

Top Bottom