• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA rep says BF4 is not broken and won't give me a refund. Am I wrong?

georgc

Hi gaf, I need to know if I'm wrong because this is getting ridiculous. Earlier this month I contacted EA saying I wanted to return the game because I was having all the problems other people were having. The only thing the rep could do was return the game and give me a new sealed one to return to GameStop. I informed that my return warranty with GameStop was up on the 15. The rep said there would be no problem in returning the game in time. I send it out and the tracking number says that they received the game on the 6th of December.

Two days ago I contacted Ea because I haven't gotten anything in the mail or even a communication that Ea got my game. I talk to a Ea rep and he says that he has to communicate with the warranty department. 2 days go by and I get a call back.

Rep: The game will ship out today or tomorrow.
Me: That's great but what about me returning it now my warranty is over?
Rep: Sorry we can't give you anything cause you bought it through GameStop.
Me : they won't take it back because its over the return period.
Rep: we can't do anything sorry
Me: but Ea released a broken game and I want my money back because the product was not as advertised.
Rep: bf4 is not broken I play it all the time.
Me: but it is broken for me and numerous people.
Rep: nope it's not a broken product.
Me: then why would Ea pull developers from other projects to fix a non broken game?
Rep: I know exactly what you are talking about the game is not broken it was to fix stability......

We go back and forth a bit, me asking for something back from my purchase and he continues to say the game is not broken. I get a little heated and start to yell because I'm getting frustrated.

Rep: if you continue to yell ill terminate this call
Me: I just want my money back for a broken product.....
Rep: '''click'''

So what do I do? Am I wrong in wanting a return? Is BF4 not broken?

-call them back
-don't shout
-ask for a manager/supervisor, keep noting down names and escalating the call.

no idea on b4 specifically though, not my type of game. But you need to raise maximum fuss while keeping totally calm or you'll get nowhere

BibiMaghoo

Surely the store will take a sealed copy in return if you have the receipt, even if it is over the deadline...

Otherwise, they are just assholes. It make no difference to them at all.

To be fair there's a pretty significant difference between "broken" and "has issues."

As big of a shitstorm BF4 has been since release, I've played for almost 30 hours, many others have played ten times that amount. Hundreds and hundreds of players are level 100 and higher already. It's not "broken."

Seanspeed

Banned
'Broken' is a very subjective term when it comes to gaming. I imagine they feel there's enough leeway there to not give you a refund. If they allowed you to have a refund, they would be opening themselves up to a flood of people wanting their money back.

Taker34

Banned
You should try not to yell and you're wrong. I can't imagine that you'll get a refund. At what point is a game "broken"? A couple of bugs, glitches? Multiplayer connection issues?

I hate to say this, but this is why you don't buy anything from EA. My last 2 purchased titles were Madden 13 (gift card funded) and Madden 08. I know I have missed a lot of good games, but I am not going to support that shit stain of a company.

GL with struggle. I do hope it works out for you.

If you are in the US you have till the 15th of January to return it. Its our holiday policy, just make sure to have that receipt.

Edit: and the copy you get back from EA is still sealed.

-call them back
-don't shout
-ask for a manager/supervisor, keep noting down names and escalating the call.

no idea on b4 specifically though, not my type of game. But you need to raise maximum fuss while keeping totally calm or you'll get nowhere

This.

What country are you in? Is there some kind of Advertising Standards Agency you can contact to seek their advice? (there is here in the UK). Trouble is, the law on these things has not moved with the times and a consumer's rights in this instance are very grey. If it were a DVD where say, half the time it wouldn't play or skipped scenes then you could get your money back in an instant, but when it comes to video games there's no law in place to protect consumers. It's bullshit really.

Bearthgar

Banned
When they get obstinate, ask for their name again and write it down. If that call doesn't go anywhere, call back and ask for a supervisor.

Taking names is the key to the power.

Try saying, "Can we pretend I got really mad and asked for your supervisor so you can just give me the refund and I'll write a nice note about you to your corporate office?"

This has worked for me on several occasions.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
They're probably better prepared for this with Simcity in recent memory.

Yelling just gives the rep an easy way to get off the call.

georgc

This.

What country are you in? Is there some kind of Advertising Standards Agency you can contact to seek their advice? (there is here in the UK). Trouble is, the law on these things has not moved with the times and a consumer's rights in this instance are very grey. If it were a DVD where say, half the time it wouldn't play or skipped scenes then you could get your money back in an instant, but when it comes to video games there's no law in place to protect consumers. It's bullshit really.

I'm in America the rep was what sounded like the UK.

MJLord

From my experience it's not *as* broken as people claim and well within the bounds of acceptable. Especially with the last few patches.

I got it on PC on release and I had the sound issues, I had some crashes but once I turned down my graphics settings to lower than I thought I could run then it was fine.

I also own a copy on PS4 and I've not had a single crash in the time I've had it. The sound bugs were for the most part fixed in the last patch and weren't that noticeable when they were there.

I'm not saying issues aren't't present but there is no way it's bad enough to warrant a refund.

Battlelog if you want to check my playtime

SkylineRKR

Taking names is the key to the power.

reggie_fils-aime_nintendo_usa_ceo.jpg

I actually got fed up with the connection issues today and have decided to wait till Titanfall.

I contacted support on Xbox.com and they are going to process the refund. It is a really great game but when I have to constantly rejoin, quit the game and go back in etc I don't want half of my time spent troubleshooting.

It is enough to warrant a refund as although it is not all of the time it is over 50% of the time I get disconnected or shoved back to the dash, not to mention I get the black textures and have to do a quick spin so it redraws the area. Other games I go on and play and don't have to even think about being disconnected. (This is for Xbox One however)

Sometimes I can play for a stretch with no issues but I don't like having the connection lottery.

I think you shouldn't use the term 'broken' as it will just lead to a dispute over the term and get you nowhere (support staff will assume the game is physically damaged). If you were 'displeased with your purchase' due to 'numerous issues with the game' then you should probably just say that.

Pastry

Banned
From my experience it's not *as* broken as people claim and well within the bounds of acceptable. Especially with the last few patches.

I got it on PC on release and I had the sound issues, I had some crashes but once I turned down my graphics settings to lower than I thought I could run then it was fine.

I also own a copy on PS4 and I've not had a single crash in the time I've had it. The sound bugs were for the most part fixed in the last patch and weren't that noticeable when they were there.

I'm not saying issues aren't't present but there is no way it's bad enough to warrant a refund.

Battlelog if you want to check my playtime

I can only speak for the PS4 version (I have had it since release and put 70 hours into it) but the game was broken as shit for a considerable amount of time. How long have you been playing the PS4 version? For the first three weeks I probably had around 50 or so crashes, I'm getting less now but still occasionally get a crash.

gryz

Banned
AAAH IT TAKES 5 SECONDS FOR THE SOUND TO START AFTER A MATCH STARTS THIS GAME IS SO BROKEN FUCK YOU EA

Gorillaz

From a legal standpoint "broken" can mean anything and nothing. if the game is playable (as in you played at least one match or something campaign wise) then they have a backdoor. it's fucked up tho but ya

MJLord

I can only speak for the PS4 version (I have had it since release and put 70 hours into it) but the game was broken as shit for a considerable amount of time. How long have you been playing the PS4 version? For the first three weeks I probably had around 50 or so crashes, I'm getting less now but still occasionally get a crash.

From the UK release of the PS4. Maybe it was worse for you guys in the US? It should go without saying my post was from my experience!

Apoc87

Banned
To be fair there's a pretty significant difference between "broken" and "has issues."

As big of a shitstorm BF4 has been since release, I've played for almost 30 hours, many others have played ten times that amount. Hundreds and hundreds of players are level 100 and higher already. It's not "broken."

This...

Wait for patches. They don't have to honor a return on a perfectly playable product.

Pastry

Banned
From the UK release of the PS4. Maybe it was worse for you guys in the US? It should go without saying my post was from my experience!

Yeah, I'm in the U.S. and BF4 was the first game I booted up. It was bad, really bad for the first three weeks. It came out in the UK two or three weeks later, right?

This advice applies to customer service phone queues in general. I would schedule a good 2-3 hours for this process, as you will have to calmly repeat the same story to 5-15 different people.

1. Don't ever get emotional and start screaming at a front-line phone agents, they're just begging for an excuse to drop your ass. Never swear.

2. Don't start talking about vague "rights" you have as a consumer. Never rant about how terrible the company is. Simply state you are not satisfied and want a refund, then give specific indisputable reasons why you require a refund. Stick only to those same specific points.

3. In a genuine voice, constantly praise the phone agent on what a good job they're doing, but politely ask to speak with someone who can make an exception when they begin to do nothing but reiterate their refund policy.

4. Don't ever hang-up - no matter how much the conversation seems to have reached its logical conclusion, continue to calmly repeat your case and politely as to speak with someone who can make an exception once they begin to constantly reiterate policy.

5. You will get offers, and you may decide to settle for something you are comfortable with.

6. If you find you absolutely have no chance of getting a refund, simply Google how to file a small claims suite. It's very easy and affordable for you to do, and you will get a response.

Either way, stop buying EA games if you wish to send the best message possible.Write the CEO a real letter explaining that you respectfully posted your story on GAF and politely explain why you will never consider their product again. Always be respectful, calm, and concise or nobody will take you seriously.

MJLord

Yeah, I'm in the U.S. and BF4 was the first game I booted up. It was bad, really bad for the first three weeks. It came out in the UK two or three weeks later, right?

Two weeks. But from that point on I don't think there is a complaint I could make about how it runs.

For the most part I think it's just the vocal minority. We often forget that on GAF we are in our own little echo chamber of people who have much higher standards than anyone else.

chris121580

This advice applies to customer service phone queues in general. I would schedule a good 2-3 hours for this process, as you will have to calmly repeat the same story to 5-15 different people.

1. Don't ever get emotional and start screaming at a front-line phone agents, they're just begging for an excuse to drop your ass. Never swear.

2. Don't start talking about vague "rights" you have as a consumer. Never rant about how terrible the company is. Simply state you are not satisfied and want a refund, then give specific indisputable reasons why you require a refund. Stick only to those same specific points.

3. In a genuine voice, constantly praise the phone agent on what a good job they're doing, but politely ask to speak with someone who can make an exception when they begin to do nothing but reiterate their refund policy.

4. Don't ever hang-up - no matter how much the conversation seems to have reached its logical conclusion, continue to calmly repeat your case and politely as to speak with someone who can make an exception once they begin to constantly reiterate policy.

5. You will get offers, and you may decide to settle for something you are comfortable with.

6. If you find you absolutely have no chance of getting a refund, simply Google how to file a small claims suite. It's very easy and affordable for you to do, and you will get a response.

Either way, stop buying EA games if you wish to send the best message possible.Write the CEO a real letter explaining that you respectfully posted your story on GAF and politely explain why you will never consider their product again. Always be respectful, calm, and concise or nobody will take you seriously.

Great post. Kill them with kindness...always works

georgc

Ok will do I'm on the phone with another agent. I'm usually calm it's just that last rep wanted to argue semantics on the validity of the game being broken vs. unstable and it annoyed me.

meppi

AAAH IT TAKES 5 SECONDS FOR THE SOUND TO START AFTER A MATCH STARTS THIS GAME IS SO BROKEN FUCK YOU EA

You can't be serious. That is the least of this games problems of which there are plenty of which each and every one would be enough to call it broken.

These kinds of apologist posts are really starting to get on my nerves lately.

Top Bottom