• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Reportedly Canceled A Star Wars Battlefront Spinoff Last Year

Mista

Banned
star-wars-battlefront-2.jpg

According to Kotaku’s Jason Schreier, EA was working on a spinoff of some kind of the Battlefront games codenamed Viking. It was canceled last year. The game was being worked on by a combination of EA Vancouver and Criterion Games, and was meant to release sometime this year alongside next generation consoles. This comes after the high profile cancellations of two other Star Wars titles, Ragtag by Visceral, as well as Orca being developed by EA Vancouver. This will make the third Star Wars game since 2017 to be canceled by the publisher.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Good, would be probably MP shovelware anyway.Fallen Order for all it's faults, is better than any Starwars game in decade and yes even counting the Unleashed games.

killatopak

Gold Member
Realistically which other 3rd party dev/pub can you give the Star Wars license to? I feel like Disney should distribute it to more people instead of allowing EA to monopolize the franchise.

GreyHorace

Realistically which other 3rd party dev/pub can you give the Star Wars license to? I feel like Disney should distribute it to more people instead of allowing EA to monopolize the franchise.
Respawn can keep making Jedi games after the stellar job they did with Fallen Order. But if we're to assign 3rd party devs to make other titles:

New Knights of the Old Republic RPG - CD Projekt Red or Obisdian Entertainment
The Mandalorian open world sandbox - Avalanche Studios
A new X-Wing or Tie Fighter - Ubisoft Toronto (makers of Starlink: Battle for Atlas)

Those are my picks. Anyone else got a dream Star Wars game along with a developer?

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Respawn can keep making Jedi games after the stellar job they did with Fallen Order. But if we're to assign 3rd party devs to make other titles:

New Knights of the Old Republic RPG - CD Projekt Red or Obisdian Entertainment
The Mandalorian open world sandbox - Avalanche Studios
A new X-Wing or Tie Fighter - Ubisoft Toronto (makers of Starlink: Battle for Atlas)

Those are my picks. Anyone else got a dream Star Wars game along with a developer?
You really think that Avalanche could pull off a bounty hunter open world Star Wars game after all the mediocre titles that they've released during this gen? All of their games had flawed open worlds and bad stories with forgettable characters and boring gameplay loops.

That kind of project would be better in the hands of Hangar 13*, Eidos Montreal* or a Sony studio like Guerrilla, Insomniac or Sucker Punch.

*just if the individuals that made the most interesting design and narrative choices in Mafia 3 and the Deus Ex franchise are still there.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Good thing they did, BF2 is now at a stage where it is a good game thanks to ongoing development and support.

So the core gameplay, movement and camera aren't garbage anymore? Does it play like Battlefront 2015? if not then no it is not a good game and no amount of content will change that.

Bryank75

Banned
And lose out on 50 million Xbox players and the entire PC market? Disney wants to make money, not lose it on a system that has a horrible attach rate for exclusives 😂😂😂
TLOU alone sold more than twice as many copies as Battlefront 2 and TLOU was a new IP. So I don't think your point stands up....

Disney could easily demand that it goes to PC as well, whether it is slightly delayed or not.....
WWS would at the very least make a great game.

Mass Shift

Well EA I'm sure paid a ton for the exclusive rights to develop and publish games using the Star Wars franchise.

But they dont actually want to develop games. Lol

EDMIX

Disney need to just give the IP to PlayStation...
Yea Disney would want to make less money why exactly? Folks can say what they want, but Disney went to EA to move massive units, EA broke several records for them. They went to the publisher for just that, record sales. They are unlikely getting that from Playstation alone.

On topic, they are right to not having any half measures. Let Bioware make a RPG, ReSpawn make a single player story focused title, DICE make a MP title etc.

recursive recursive Well you don't know what those games would have been and its hard to argue with facts. EA is the publisher that has the best selling Star Wars game of all time... If they see something might be wrong with a game, it might be the correct call to scrap it.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Disney need to just give the IP to PlayStation...
Considering KOTOR/II, Republic Comando and Obi-wan were exclusive to Xbox/PC, nope.
If there is anyone who should work on this IP, it should be Obsidian. Bring a new KOTOR game.

EDMIX

Considering KOTOR/II, Republic Comando and Obi-wan were exclusive to Xbox/PC, nope.
If there is anyone who should work on this IP, it should be Obsidian. Bring a new KOTOR game.

? To be fair....thats just as much as a "nope" for the same reasons.

Disney does't care about Obsidian, they care about getting a publisher that can get games on many systems, that has a host of teams and that can move massive units.

That is what EA is doing for them. I don't really see that deal working out well with MS.

"Bring a new KOTOR game" Yea, EA can do that with Bioware or any of their teams though.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Everybody working on this game was moved over to the department counting money generated by FIFA ultimate team.

Bryank75

Banned
Yea Disney would want to make less money why exactly? Folks can say what they want, but Disney went to EA to move massive units, EA broke several records for them. They went to the publisher for just that, record sales. They are unlikely getting that from Playstation alone.

On topic, they are right to not having any half measures. Let Bioware make a RPG, ReSpawn make a single player story focused title, DICE make a MP title etc.

recursive recursive Well you don't know what those games would have been and its hard to argue with facts. EA is the publisher that has the best selling Star Wars game of all time... If they see something might be wrong with a game, it might be the correct call to scrap it.
As I said TLOU as a new IP sold over 20 million. Battlefront 2 only sold 9 across all platforms....

Xbox gamers don't even buy games... Too happy getting them for a dollar a month on games pass or so they keep telling me. So why publish it there? Playstation and PC is fine.

GV82

Just a reminder that besides EA making shit decisions in the past, fault also lies with having to make sure your Star Wars game fits into Cannon now, it seemed to be causing slowdowns according to EA staff in the past having story details thoroughly checked (though some lfg people will deny this).

Chances are if this spinoff game had a single player mode and the story wasn’t right for cannon it was cancelled, I still believe this is why 1313 was cancelled due to the takeover by Disney & wiping their cannon slate clean.

Not to say Star Wars games haven’t been cancelled in the past but it seems like more projects have been cancelled since Disney took over Lucasfilm, how long before that KOTOR type game gets cancelled? Hopefully not.

Unless Lucasfilm Story Group allows more loose Cannon/What if scenarios, then it’s going to continue.

Also I think thats the reason why only EA has the license so the Lucasfilm Group only has to deal with one company, if it was shared out to mutiple developers, then checking on the cannon with all these different devs would take too long for them.

What I am saying is that Legends Banner needs to be allowed to be used to allow game developers to design a game however they want, otherwise Star Wars games are ALL going to be Cannon & eventually the well will dry up especially next gen whilst other games that don’t rely on a cohesive cannon will leave them in the dust.

Disney could only Dream of the figures that GTA V and the likes have done, but they wouldn’t have a fucking clue how to get it.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
As I said TLOU as a new IP sold over 20 million. Battlefront 2 only sold 9 across all platforms....

Xbox gamers don't even buy games... Too happy getting them for a dollar a month on games pass or so they keep telling me. So why publish it there? Playstation and PC is fine.
You know Game Pass actually makes money for publishers, it may come as a surprise to you but Microsoft is not a charity organisation. Many people also treat Game Pass as a trial for that game. And yes, a vast majority people actually buy them(there are only around a million subscribers to Game Pass). If most Xbox gamers subscribed to Game Pass, then Microsoft would make way more money from a game on Game Pass plus game sales then Sony from actual game sales.

Bryank75

Banned
You know Game Pass actually makes money for publishers, it may come as a surprise to you but Microsoft is not a charity organisation. Many people also treat Game Pass as a trial for that game. And yes, a vast majority people actually buy them(there are only around a million subscribers to Game Pass). If most Xbox gamers subscribed to Game Pass, then Microsoft would make way more money from a game on Game Pass plus game sales then Sony from actual game sales.
Sure

EDMIX

The Last Of Us is also not the norm even remotely for game sales (even more rare for a new IP).

I stand by my comment that they want max sales and want a wide net.

Kumomeme

they even cancelled uncharted style star wars game by formers uncharted director Amy Hennig

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

As much as I appreciate the support 2 has received, I still wish we'd get an even better sequel. Preferably one that resembles the one that was canceled eons ago that had leaked footage.

Top Bottom