• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Respawn's Game Is A Sci-Fi Shooter, Battlefield/MoH On Alternating Schedule

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
In an investor meeting today, EA confirmed the obvious about two highly speculated things.

EA also pretty much confirmed that Medal of Honor is now fully on Frostbite 2.

And finally, since Insomniac's and Respawn's titles were compared to Gears and Halo, and we know Overstrike is a third person shooter, presumably Respawn's title is the Halo counterpart that's a first person shooter.

VG247 said:
Respawn title called a “sci-fi shooter” by EA’s Gibeau

EA Games Label president Frank Gibeau said during an E3 meeting this morning that the firm plans to alternate Battlefield and Medal of Honor releases on an annual basis, and will release Respawn’s project when it sees an “opportunistic” window for what he called a “sci-fi shooter”.

According to Gibeau: “In general we’re going to continue to follow our rotation strategy of giving studios a full two-year cycle to get a game built and polished to maximum quality, but we’re going to do it in a way that allows us to maximize technology investments like Frostbite 2, the online service models that we’re doing… we’re going to be able to trade team knowledge and increase the quality of the products year in, year out,” he said.

“The idea is to have that rotation happen with Battlefield and Medal of Honor and keep it fresh so you don’t burn the teams down or over-annualize the product lines. Titles like Respawn – and I think the Insomniac title is a little bit more of an action game than a pure shooter – we’ll sprinkle those in where we see opportunistic gaps, either in a release schedule or in a genre standpoint.

“Those typically are more sci-fi oriented shooters, where as the Medal of Honor and Battlefield brands are obviously more modern military oriented. So it allows us to pick and choose the best of the sci-fi shooters. It allows us to compete with things like Gears and Halo and put them on places in our release calendar where they’re not cannibalistic to the core business and that’s the essential strategy going forward.”
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2011/06/08/respawn-title-confirmed-as-a-sci-fi-shooter-by-eas-gibeau/

markot

Banned
I figured after the terribality of MOH they were gonna kill it off >.<

Didnt they say it would have to sell like 5 million to warrant a sequel?

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Interesting, can't wait to see what they've come up with. I'm more curious about how it will feel compared to their work with CoD4. (The Respawn game)

Respawn Entertainment: First person shooter in the Mass Effect universe.

RealMeat

Banned
Glad to hear they're not going to have 3 series of modern military shooters. Looking forward to seeing what it actually is.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
markot said:

They said it would have to sell 3 million to warrant a sequel.

It ended up blowing their expectations out of the water and shipping over 5 million copies.

Dennis

Banned
markot said:

Nothing bad about MoH.

It was a great game and it sold great.

Very happy to hear its fully on Frostbite 2 now.

The next MoH will be amazing if they can fix the few issues with the first game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
markot said:

and it did!

subversus

provo57 said:
Glad to hear they're not going to have 3 series of modern military shooters. Looking forward to seeing what it actually is.

edit: nvm, I'm dumb

Akia

If SWTOR exceeds expectations, will EA try to push Respawn to make their sci-fi shooter into an MMO to combat Activision's Bungie developed Destiny FPSMMO.

Miggytronz

DennisK4 said:
Nothing bad about MoH.

The next MoH will be amazing if they can fix the few issues with the first game.

Yeop this!

I cant wait!

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
BF3 Multiplayer booth

ssssssssssssse.jpg

JCreasy

Sci-fi? Hrrmmmm

I actually wanted them to do a military shooter.

Maybe futuristic sci-fi and not alien sci-fi. Maybe they're a doing a better version of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier. That would be nice.

I hope the Frost Bite engine doesn't get burnt out. Don't want to see it go the way of the Unreal Engine.

Nirolak said:
EA also pretty much confirmed that Medal of Honor is now fully on Frostbite 2.
Great news.

Never forget:

bildschirmfoto2010-10-mh0u.png

Also, can't wait to see this sci-fi shooter of Respawns. That's the direction I've been wanting them to go for a while now.

Sober

Yearly BF? I dunno, I didn't even get into BF2 and the gap between that and even BC2 was pretty big considering. I dunno, is 2 years long enough to make a new mainline BF game? Unless they are implying Bad Company is going to also alternate with mainline BF.

MOH2010's campaign was good, very muted from what I was expecting to be a CoD clone for SP, though I didn't touch MP. I hope to see more of that.

So, how sci-fi is Respawn's shooter I'm wondering. Is it Ghost Recon: Future Soldier kind of sci-fi or full-out sci-fi like Halo or 2142?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sober said:
Yearly BF?
Nope.

Year 1: Battlefield.
Year 2: Medal of Honor.
Repeat.

Sober said:
So, how sci-fi is Respawn's shooter I'm wondering. Is it Ghost Recon: Future Soldier kind of sci-fi or full-out sci-fi like Halo or 2142?
Well, they hired Iain McCaig who is best known for designing Darth Maul and Princess Amadala as their character designer, so I'm guessing full-out sci-fi.

szaromir

Banned
Nirolak said:
They said it would have to sell 3 million to warrant a sequel.

It ended up blowing their expectations out of the water and shipping over 5 million copies.
I'm pretty sure they expected/hoped for 7M actually.

markot said:

MOH campaign rocked (aside from slow loading goat textures.) I can't speak to the MP.

Mr_Brit

Banned
It would be a good idea if it weren't for the fact that MOH is a terrible game, has bad word of mouth and is unable to compete with COD.

The next MOH will not do anywhere near as well as the first one.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
szaromir said:
I'm pretty sure they expected/hoped for 7M actually.
Perhaps hoped, but their actual financial report expectations are always waaaaaay lower.

They confirmed that it strongly beat expectations in several fiscal calls.

DennisK4 said:
Nothing bad about MoH.

No doubt. Single player was very good.

Take the concepts and intent behind MoH, put it on Frostbite 2, open things up a bit, add co-op, and it's in the running for my most anticipated title of 2012.

Kydd BlaZe

Haven't been a huge fan of Insomniac's efforts this generation (outside of the original Resistance), however I am very interested in Overstrike. Also can't wait to see what Respawn has been working on.

Dennis

Banned
For those who have forgotten this is what the first MoH looked like. And now it will use Frostbite 2....

DennisK4 said:
Nothing bad about MoH.

Dropping the wisdom (and a few humongous screens) I see.

Angry Fork

Trojita said:
Future Warfare made by the original Infinity Ward Team

OMG! HYPE
Hopefully more balance and fun like COD4 and less "YOU GOT THIS BRO FUCK YEA YOU JUST GOT A KILL, GONNA REWARD YOU NOW FOR DOING SUCH AN AWESOME JOB" bullshit in MW2.

And do the PC version right this time please, no more excuses or blaming publishers or whatever.

szaromir

Banned
Nirolak said:
Perhaps hoped, but their actual financial report expectations are always waaaaaay lower.

They confirmed that it strongly beat expectations in several fiscal calls.
OK. I just remember this interview as I burst out laughing to this quote:
Eurogamer: What are your expectations of BulletStorm? Do you see this as a massive game?

David DeMartini: Let's not call it Call of Duty or Medal of Honor massive, where I'm thinking Call of Duty maybe 15 million units, Medal of Honor maybe seven.
Keep in mind it was a month before MOH launched.

Dennis

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
You need to stop posting your cherry picked screenshots for this game. I played it maxed out on PC and on the whole it looked absolutely terrible and these selective shots do not give an accurate portrayal of what the game looks like as a whole. This reminds me of your highly selective STALKER pics which showed only the 1% of environments that don't look awful.
You could post bad screenshots of any game. Just find some spot where they got lazy on the textures. Even Battlefield 3 can produce some shitty pícs.

Those screenshots are not cherry picked. The game was very good looking and I have plaenty of screenshots to prove it.

GQman2121

Banned
Those are high end pc shots, right? Cause I briefly played the game on the 360, and it didn't look like that at all......ever.

subversus

Mr_Brit said:
You need to stop posting your cherry picked screenshots for this game. I played it maxed out on PC and on the whole it looked absolutely terrible and these selective shots do not give an accurate portrayal of what the game looks like as a whole. This reminds me of your highly selective STALKER pics which showed only the 1% of environments that don't look awful.

the game looked good

Mr_Brit

Banned
DennisK4 said:
You could post bad screenshots of any game. Just find some spot where they got lazy on the textures. Even Battlefield 3 can produce some shitty pícs.

Those screenshots are not cherry picked. The game was very good looking and I have plaenty of screenshots to prove it.
I'm not denying you don't have plenty of nice screenshots but can you honestly say those two shots fairly represent what the game looks like graphically on the whole?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I will bet cash money that the sci-fi shooter Respawn is working on will eventually be called System Shock III, or at the least feel very familiar to it.

I actually thought MOH was pretty decent. Alternating schedules is better than killing the franchise at a fast pace like Activision though.

Strider2K99 said:
MoH's campaign was fine, it's the multiplayer that was... very lacking to say the least.
And this time around the multiplayer is going to be developed by the same studio that is developing the single player (and who developed the first game's very strong single player).

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
twinturbo2 said:
I will bet cash money that the sci-fi shooter Respawn is working on will eventually be called System Shock III, or at the least feel very familiar to it.

Nope. SS is safe in EA's end-of-Indiana-Jones-style vault, and the furthest thing imaginable from what Respawn want to do.

Deadbeat

Banned
D2M15 said:
Nope. SS is safe in EA's end-of-Indiana-Jones-style vault, and the furthest thing imaginable from what Respawn want to do.
Dead Space series is as close as to getting a real system shock game. Fine with that tbh. Let the series rest in peace without ravaging its corpse.

Top Bottom