• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sets Stage for World Domination With RISK: Factions for XBLA (PR)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The EA Play Label of Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) today announced that it is bringing Hasbro's (NYSE:HAS) globally popular strategy game, RISK, to Xbox LIVE ® Arcade (XBLA) in early 2010. Featuring outlandish factions, a unique art style, new gameplay twists and off-beat humor, RISK: Factions promises to challenge and captivate both new and seasoned RISK fans on their quest for world domination.

"For the past half-century, millions of RISK fans have been consumed with ruling the world, underscoring the board game's enduring appeal," said Chip Lange, Senior Vice President and General Manager of EA's Hasbro Division. "We're now going to bring that masterpiece experience to life and add other amazing layers of XBLA-style gameplay that will take conquests to a new level, including the ability to battle players from around the globe for the first time, truly giving new meaning to the phrase ‘world domination'."

Developed by Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers studio Stainless Games and featuring cinematics from veteran animation studio Power House Animation, RISK: Factions will offer innovative ways of experiencing the timeless turn-based board game in both objective-based and world conquest modes. Players will be able to engage as one of five playable factions, each with different strengths, as they wage war on new maps with dynamic terrain in their quest for missile silos in order to strategically dominate the game. Additionally, as rivals go head-to-head during unique, animated combat missions, enemies will be able to trigger "Overkill" moments, based on the roll of the dice, and unlock avatar awards while attempting global supremacy. With a new animated art style, kooky humor and a choice of five oddball factions, RISK: Factions is sure to offer something for veteran RISK strategists and newcomers alike.

"Just as the original RISK board game broke new ground 50 years ago by being the first game to offer non-linear movement, EA is re-inventing this long-time favorite for today's digital consumer," said Mark Blecher, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Digital Media and Gaming at Hasbro. "We expect RISK: Factions to be well received on XBLA among the strategy and simulation community."

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, a leading global interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the Company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, wireless devices and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EATM, EA SPORTS™ EA Mobile TM and POGOTM. In fiscal 2009, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $4.2 billion and had 31 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

About Hasbro

Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time products and services with a rich portfolio of brands and entertainment properties that provides some of the highest quality and most recognizable play and recreational experiences in the world. As a brand-driven, consumer-focused global company, Hasbro brings to market a range of toys, games and licensed products, from traditional to high-tech and digital, under such powerful brand names as TRANSFORMERS, PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, CRANIUM and WIZARDS OF THE COAST. Come see how we inspire play through our brands at http://www.hasbro.com.

©2010 Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Australia

edit: This is actually cool. I love Risk, but it takes forever. I missed a final in college because I stayed up all night playing that game.

V_Ben

Banned
Shard said:
Expect it to be ported in 6-12 months, as per the standard for these things.

sounds about right actually. just noticed the hasbro stuff, and recall that their "family game night" thing was a timed exclusive too. but i do love risk :D

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
rezuth said:
Start buying games on PSN.

I buy a new game on PSN every month. I do what I can. :(

Gowans

Love my xbla board games, never played RISK though, trail is downloaded for when I have some decent time.

Impressions?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Well, you can shoot cats, so it can't be all bad.

I think their custom game mode actually ends, so it's a step up from vanilla Risk in that regard.

nli10

Tomcat said:
anyone bought it?
Is it good?

Good? It's almost perfect!

Finished the campaign in 2 hours, but it's basically a 5 battle tutorial that introduces you to a few odd gadget things that they seem to have made up that I didn't know about (temples, crypts, dams etc.) and eases people into the game.

The classic board is there. As are the classic rules

You can watch all the animations or skip for speed

The characters are 'funny' but unobtrusive

The single player options are deep and it looks like the multiplayer ones are too. Not tried it on live yet as I'm supposed to be doing other things.

Frankly it feels like a disk release quality game (except for the career length) and has potential for DLC expansions built into the menu, but I can't see what they'd add other than new 'races' and board styles.

At 800 points it's an amazing deal for anyone who has played as much Risk over the years as I have.

vesp

The trial is pretty generous, I'm not sure if it has eventual lockouts but I played half a classic game then jumped out and played half a factions game before work just to check things out.

I think I'll buy it when I get home.

see5harp

Brimstone said:
Where is Axis & Allies?

RISK is fun, but to me Axis & Allies is a more polished game.

Dude yea but I hardly can get friends to play a 30 minute board game, much less spend an entire weekend playing AvA.

nli10

Santiako said:
Does it have local multiplayer?

It appears to have local multiplayer (there is a 2p press A prompt) but I'm not sure how many players.

The new mode is less reliant on keeping your cards hidden so it should work well.

Santiako

nli10 said:
It appears to have local multiplayer (there is a 2p press A prompt) but I'm not sure how many players.

The new mode is less reliant on keeping your cards hidden so it should work well.

Sweet, if anyone can confirm the local multiplayer, i'll buy.

nli10

Santiako said:
Sweet, if anyone can confirm the local multiplayer, i'll buy.

Just started a 2p local game :) There is a prompt for p3 too - but it requires an extra controller and doens't work hot potato style.

I'm guessing 4p is possible if you have 4 controllers, which is nice.

Hopefully the hot potato controller mode can be added later for offline play.

Can't see an option for 2 local players to go online, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Santiako

nli10 said:
Just started a 2p local game :) There is a prompt for p3 too - but it requires an extra controller and doens't work hot potato style.

I'm guessing 4p is possible if you have 4 controllers, which is nice.

Hopefully the hot potato controller mode can be added later for offline play.

Can't see an option for 2 local players to go online, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Thanks for checking it, i'll buy it tomorrow when I get some points. :D

theultimo

I love me a good game of Risk. Anf thank god its only 800 pts instead of the 1200 raping usually.

The best Risk game was Risk II on the PC, I'll have to see if it tops that.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'll most likely buy it if it ever comes to PSN

am a big fan of Risk (though I'd love for someone to do Stratego as well)

theultimo

graywolf323 said:
I'll most likely buy it if it ever comes to PSN

am a big fan of Risk (though I'd love for someone to do Stratego as well)
The only port of Stratego that I know of is on the PC Engine. Its all in Japanese, but playable.

nli10

theultimo said:
The only port of Stratego that I know of is on the PC Engine. Its all in Japanese, but playable.

There is Stratego on the DS (for the recent reboxing) both as an official version and a hybrid in 42 in 1. Thought there was a PC version that went with it but I can't see it online.

theultimo

:lol Chapter 1 on the campaign:

"Do you want to play classic Risk, or the new one with killing and nudity?"

Whoever did the writing on this is awesome.

God the animations are hilarious!

Lothars

meddow said:
sorry but its not worth 800mp

2 hour single player campaign,

Your clueless if you don't think its worth it, yeah the campaign is only 2 hours but risk is about multiplayer and that's where it lies, I've only beat the single player and It is worth every penny

vesp

i bought it and got stuck in the first campaign mission, completed 3 objectives and took over the whole board and then it just left me stuck in attack mode with no option to end. was kinda a buzzkill.

Gowans

vesp said:
i bought it and got stuck in the first campaign mission, completed 3 objectives and took over the whole board and then it just left me stuck in attack mode with no option to end. was kinda a buzzkill.
Just did that to me in the trial, first ever game of risk and reLy enjoyed it, reset & bought heats hoping it dissent happen again.

Balya

Is the full game crashing at the title screen for anyone else here? As soon as I press start the damn thing freezes and I have to hard reset, can't open the guide or anything. The trial worked fine. I tried deleting and redownloading, didn't work.

Found a few people having the same issue on other sites but no fixes yet:
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27356626
http://www.giantbomb.com/risk-facti...tering-freezing-problems/35-427271/?page=last
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/975050.page
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-5524-Risk--Factions-Out-Today-For-XBLA.html#13

I have downloaded the demo, will try it tonight, but If its even a half-way decent implementation Im all over this, love me some risk!

Now Risk 2210 please!!

JesseZao

I just picked it up last night, pretty solid so far. I love classic Risk and the option for quick battle is welcome and needed (even if the animations are nice, in these types of games I always end up turning off any animations).

Have yet to play online though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lothars said:
Your clueless
Good job!

And I can see why people would say it's not worth the money if they're used to better boardgames.

/elitist-boardgame-gaf

Seriously though, XBLA needs more of this sorta thing. But a jump from this to HOI3 is pushing it. :lol

JesseZao

XiaNaphryz said:
And I can see why people would say it's not worth the money if they're used to better boardgames.

/elitist-boardgame-gaf

Seriously though, XBLA needs more of this sorta thing. But a jump from this to HOI3 is pushing it. :lol

Yes it does. I still need to pick up Ticket to Ride sometime (hoping for a sale).

I don't have the money to import all of the sweet German / European games. I have a friend who's main hobby is importing those anyway, so I'll let him continue to do that :)

nli10

meddow said:
sorry but its not worth 800mp

2 hour single player campaign,

That's the story based single player. There is lots of maps to play the exact same style games on in the custom mode, only you don't get a cut scene but do get to choose the difficulty & play style.

Guessing you are just being sarcastic though, unless you do genuinely take board games back to the shop complaining about the single player options.

Gowans

Damn you. I demand to see the dice roll code!!!!!!!!

Got this same game I just aced has became well tough this time round :lol

Kholdstare

I also think the AI cheats on occasion. It seems like most times I attack I end up losing way too many men in the campaign.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I played Risk a lot back in the day. Good times.

Not sure if I'd like a digital version tho

Balya

vesp said:

So I finally got it to work (deleted and redownloaded again, this time deleting it from my game history as well) and this happened to me. :lol

EDIT: Now it's freezing at the title screen again. Guess I'll wait for a patch.

Gowans

Bloody hell vie just sank two hours into this, got a get online once I get through the campaign.

What are the avatar unlocks & how do I get them?

nli10

Gowans007 said:
Bloody hell vie just sank two hours into this, got a get online once I get through the campaign.

What are the avatar unlocks & how do I get them?

All 4 are finish the campaign. Heads & T-Shirts.

The dice rolls you got are listed int eh stats page - seems fair at the moment on mine.

Top Bottom