• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Engineer: Wii U is crap, < powerful than 360. No $ 3party. [Tweets Deleted]

IrishNinja

Nintendo don't need to maintain their current output. No one is going to cry if Mario vs Donkey Kong or Nintendoland or Game & Wario don't exist anymore. When Nintendo goes third party they'll still make all the big games that sell. The ones that don't sell, well by definition they're not gonna be too missed.

using the sega analogy: this is why we basically have sonic titles now, with a few others here & there
thankfully you're not speaking for anyone but yourself here

Some great points. I guess my best reply is that Nintendo are developers themselves so if they were indeed unresponsive to the needs of developers they would be out of business. My feeling is that as experienced developers, they have more conviction and expertise with knowing the actual needs of developers combined with more understanding of the long term needs of the industry. What these developers are saying they need is different than what they actually need which is different than what history will prove they needed.

I would also argue that the online gaming was promoted prematurely as a way to differentiate from Nintendo. The way it was implemented in the past was not enjoyable for most people. Most people didn't even have broadband until recently.

So basically what you're saying is Nintendo knows what developers want even if developers are saying "no, we want what Sony and ms are providing" ?

Are you serious?!

jaz013

Banned
Well, this guy may be into something, he should know about crap. The EA sports line was crap for a long time, and in some aspects, it still is. And they turn to crap almost anything they touch, so.... (and people now complain that Nintendo's online infrastructure is crap, just imagine what would be under the Origin handle!).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Uncle Rupee said:
The thing is, Nintendo fans care more about fun in games than graphics.
Wii and DS proved that already. Even the N64 sort of proved that, since it didn't have FMVs.
Every time some post this I want to punch a baby. Fun and technical achievement/graphics, are NOT mutually exclusive.

Reading comprehension problems FTW!

Where did he say those are mutually exclusive? All he's saying is that generally speaking, while probably loving magnificent gfx as much as everyone else out there, Nintendo fans are generally more prone to be forgiving of a game's technical shortcomings if the fun is there: they're willing to play it and to put down money for that game. Nothing wrong with that and it's true for many, while many others won't touch a game regardless of how good its gameplay might be if the visuals are ass... there's nothing wrong with that either, to each their own right?

I'm a graphic whore, I'm a PC gamer, been gaming for more than 30 years but I'm willing to try a game and able to LOVE it even if the graphics sucks as long as the art is good. I've loved many Wii games and dug their visuals thanks to top notch art direction, even if they were missing the technical flair found on the HD twins and pc. Plenty of gamers I know could never get past how "bad" Wii games looked and that was enough to leave them with ZERO interest for anything the console was going to put out in its lifetime: they might've tried a game or two, maybe the Galaxy games, but could never look past the graphics and fully enjoy those games.
Me. I had a blast. Sure, I was floored with my ps3 outputting Uncharted 2, KZ2 or Crysis 3 on my PC, and I would've loved to get more visual flair with many Wii games, but for me artistic direction trumps everything else and I still regard Mario Galaxy 2 as the best looking game of this generation: point is tho, that even without EAD's delicious rim lighting or with Sunshine's way lower res textures and lower poly models, it'd still be my favorite game of the past 6 years.

sephi22

Well, this guy may be into something, he should know about crap. The EA sports line was crap for a long time, and in some aspects, it still is. And they turn to crap almost anything they touch, so.... (and people now complain that Nintendo's online infrastructure is crap, just imagine what would be under the Origin handle!).
The salt

I laughed very hard. You really have a point. But let's not hide the truth : No crappy EA games for a system is kind of a death sentence.
Well, EA has understand that : gamers like sports and war.

Personnally I don't like it. But I'm not the target of EA.

bart64

Banned
So basically what you're saying is Nintendo knows what developers want even if developers are saying "no, we want what Sony and ms are providing" ?

Are you serious?!
Pretty much. I think it's the vocal minority that's pumping up the Sony/MS mantra and that the majority of developers think more like Nintendo. I believe (hope amd pray) there are more developers that think like Notch and other Indy developers which understand the advantage of small teams with big ideas.

Pretty much. I think it's the vocal minority that's pumping up the Sony/MS mantra and that the majority of developers think more like Nintendo. I believe (hope amd pray) there are more developers that think like Notch and other Indy developers which understand the advantage of small teams with big ideas.

You are right. Simply because there are maybe 1000 vocal, roflcopter big mouthed haters between places like here Kotaku and N4G doesn't mean much of anything, except for the fact that haters are gonna hate.

freddy

Banned
No, you still don't make sense. You are just repeating your statement.

He's saying that the guy isn't wise enough to keep his mouth shut on twitter, yet seems to think Nintendo should listen to his sage advice on how to move forward. So he's contrasting the relative experience of the two in the games industry.

He's saying that the guy isn't wise enough to keep his mouth shut on twitter, yet seems to think Nintendo should listen to his sage advice on how to move forward. So he's contrasting the relative experience of the two in the games industry.

So all not 150 years old software engineers are not allowed to criticize Nintendo?

This guy is not some weird indie developer but he works for EA for 15 years now and worked on many very succesful franchises for many different systems in this time.

Come on... that's some bullshit stuff.

Taurus

Nintendo don't need to maintain their current output. No one is going to cry if Mario vs Donkey Kong or Nintendoland or Game & Wario don't exist anymore. When Nintendo goes third party they'll still make all the big games that sell. The ones that don't sell, well by definition they're not gonna be too missed.

500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Keep dreaming.

freddy

Banned
So all not 150 years old software engineers are not allowed to criticize Nintendo?

This guy is not some weird indie developer but he works for EA for 15 years now and worked on many very succesful franchises for many different systems in this time.

Come on... that's some bullshit stuff.

And clearly shows some very suspect judgement. I certainly wouldn't be taking any advice from someone dumb enough to assume he speaks for his company on his personal twitter and lacks even the common sense to keep his thoughts close. Why should people listen to his advice?

And clearly shows some very suspect judgement. I certainly wouldn't be taking any advice from someone dumb enough to assume he speaks for his company on his personal twitter and lacks even the common sense to keep his thoughts close. Why should people listen to his advice?

I don't see that he spoke for EA in his tweets.

freddy

Banned
Your point is based on the wrong assumption that being an old company is an argument.

He basicaly repeat the official statement of EA there.

I thought you mean the part of WiiU being crap and stuff.
Expecting people to separate the two statements coming from a twitter page which is plastered with his credentials and role within EA is silly at best. All it did was make him look like a fool, and consequentially undermine any validity his statements may have had.

Top Bottom