• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Fantasy Football announced

Not really tied to the games, but it's EA, so...

EA Sports announces the imminent launch of a Web-based Fantasy Football game spanning the 2004-2005 season.

EA Sports has today confirmed that it will launch its previously unannounced EA Sports Fantasy Football game on July 21. In conjunction with Stats, the world's leading sports information provider, EA plans to offer a variety of Web-based fantasy football experiences spanning the 2004-2005 season.

"We're taking EA Sports fun, competition and quality to another level by bringing fantasy football to our online EA Sports fans," said Chip Lange, vice president of EA Sports Nation. "We're challenging all comer --you think you know football, every week, now prove it; EA Sports style."

Fantasy Football players will either pay a $9.99 entrance fee to compete in public leagues against the rest of the community or, for $99.99, will have the option to become the commissioner of their own league--customizing the rules and scoring systems for up to 32 team owners.

All subscribers will have the opportunity to take part in a weekly "Pick'em Game" to win EA Sports prizes. The game will basically require players to accurately predict winning teams and, in addition to winning prizes, they'll be able to see how well they're doing in comparison to other players on a worldwide leader board.

For more information, check out the official EA Sports Fantasy Football Web site.

Meier

Bah pay per, no playing for me. I've always wanted this involved in console football games.. I think it would be really cool to have a fantasy team in the franchise modes.

Do the online modes,specifically leagues, allow for you to require that everybody has a different team? If so, you could reward the weekly and season fantasy leader by giving them additional content (different jerseys, commentary, etc) to really tie a fantasy league to the online leagues.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It would be awesome if you could watch your games later using the madden engine...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
EA is desperately trying to come up with another revenue stream besides videogames. With stuff like Yahoo Fantasy around for free, I can't see this taking off. Maybe they will have a code in Madden so that if you buy Madden getting in the fantasy league will be free.

I always thought EA should try to sell a Madden clothing line or an EASports clothing line. I know with all the Madden tourneys and such, the Madden gear would sell. That would be another revenue stream.

dskillzhtown said:
EA is desperately trying to come up with another revenue stream

Don't know about the desperate part, but you've just described 100% of companies out there. Who doesn't want to increase revenue by exploring other aventues. EA has the largest growth of market share for the past several years despite being the largest company out there. Sure stockholders are looking for continued growth, but that's true of every single company out there.

Just thought your comment was a bit wanky that way.

No, DSkillz is right. EA sees Madden as their franchise player, and they're looking for a new revenue stream, and fast. If they're going to try to give away a ton of exclusive prizes then it might be worth it. It's much like an office pool, except instead of playing for a pot, you have a chance for prizes... This won't do well at all, especially since it's not really tied-in with the game.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
sonycowboy said:
Just thought your comment was a bit wanky that way.

For the past 3 E3s the Creative VP has said they are trying to come up with a new revenue stream. The Sims-based TV show is an example of this. The Pay-for-play Fantasy Football is another example of this. The EA Trax is another. Bing said that they need to diversify their portfolio in the worst of ways. If you go to Gamespot and look at the roundtable last year he explained it in great detail. Actually, my brother runs funds for a financial planning company. They have some EA stock, but even Bloomberg is saying that EA should try to branch out while they can. Because if there is a videogame industry bust again, EA will go down in flames if they have nothing to fall back on.

If my comment is "a bit wanky", I guess EA's thinking is a bit wanky as well. As I have had and do have access to the marketing arm of EA and they are definitely looking for non-gaming revenue streams.

That doesn't change the fact that this will fail. Yahoo's free service as an alternative will kill this idea. Unless it is tied into Madden some sort of way. Maybe if you are playing Madden online while games are going on, you will get a fantasy update of your player's points.

DMczaf

Please god tell me this is not what the EA reps were talking to FMT about at E3. FT kept telling me they confirmed online leagues that were "web based"... :(

Top Bottom