• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Star Wars community manager receives death threats due to Battlefront 2.

Z O N E

I guess people are going crazy over the microtransactions in Battlefront 2. EA Star Wars community manager, Mat Everett confirmed that he have recieved 5 death threats (maybe more at this point) in one day.

This is obviously not okay, but I guess there is a price to pay when you work for a disgusting publisher.

https://twitter.com/sledgehammer70/status/929851038688882689

Doesn't matter which publisher you work for, death threats are not a price you have to pay for working there.

They screwed up and are probably working behind the scenes on how to fix it all. Criticism is fine but that much hate is over the top...

Pretty stupid sending threats to someone just doing their job. He didn't make those choices and force p2w into the game... Hopefully he reports them all to the police, nobody needs that.

I guess people are going crazy over the microtransactions in Battlefront 2. EA Star Wars community manager, Mat Everett confirmed that he have recieved 5 death threats (maybe more at this point) in one day.

This is obviously not okay, but I guess there is a price to pay when you work for a disgusting publisher.

https://twitter.com/sledgehammer70/status/929851038688882689

Bullshit

If you don't agree with their practices then don't support them. DO NOT send death threats to people that have no influence on the business decisions of that company.

DaleCooper

Neo Member
Bullshit

If you don't agree with their practices then don't support them. DO NOT send death threats to people that have no influence on the business decisions of that company.

Who care if they do influence the business decisions. It's a fucking game! Death threats?????? Unbelievable. Disgusting.

pelican

Awful behaviour sending those threats. The authorities need to crack down on this sort of nonsense.

However the community manager poking the hornet's nest by calling concerned gamers 'armchair developers' didn't help.

pelican

Who care if they do influence the business decisions. It's a fucking game! Death threats?????? Unbelievable. Disgusting.

Exactly. If you don't like the game economy and progression system - don't buy it.

The idiots sending these threats really need to be tackled with by the legal system. Difficult due to the international nature of the Internet. Unacceptable behaviour.

TwiztidElf

RANDAL: So they build another Death Star, right?
DANTE: Yeah.
RANDAL: Now the first one they built was completed and fully operational before the Rebels destroyed it.
DANTE: Luke blew it up. Give credit where it's due.
RANDAL: And the second one was still being built when they blew it up.
DANTE: Compliments of Lando Calrissian.
RANDAL: Something just never sat right with me the second time they destroyed it. I could never put my finger on it-something just wasn't right.
DANTE: And you figured it out?
RANDAL: Well, the thing is, the first Death Star was manned by the Imperial army-storm troopers, dignitaries- the only people onboard were Imperials.
DANTE: Basically.
RANDAL: So when they blew it up, no prob. Evil is punished.
DANTE: And the second time around...?
RANDAL: The second time around, it wasn't even finished yet. They were still under construction.
DANTE: So?
RANDAL: A construction job of that magnitude would require a helluva lot more manpower than the Imperial army had to offer. I'll bet there were independent contractors working on that thing: plumbers, aluminum siders, roofers.
DANTE: Not just Imperials, is what you're getting at.
RANDAL: Exactly. In order to get it built quickly and quietly they'd hire anybody who could do the job. Do you think the average storm trooper knows how to install a toilet main? All they know is killing and white uniforms.
DANTE: All right, so even if independent contractors are working on the Death Star, why are you uneasy with its destruction?
RANDAL: All those innocent contractors hired to do a job were killed-casualties of a war they had nothing to do with. **notices Dante's confusion** All right, look-you're a roofer, and some juicy government contract comes your way; you got the wife and kids and the two-story in suburbia-this is a government contract, which means all sorts of benefits. All of a sudden these left-wing militants blast you with lasers and wipe out everyone within a three-mile radius. You didn't ask for that. You have no personal politics. You're just trying to scrape out a living.
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Excuse me. I don't mean to interrupt, but what were you talking about?
RANDAL: The ending of Return of the Jedi.
DANTE: My friend is trying to convince me that any contractors working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when the space station was destroyed by the rebels.
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Well, I'm a contractor myself. I'm a roofer... **digs into pocket and produces business card** Dunn and Reddy Home Improvements. And speaking as a roofer, I can say that a roofer's personal politics come heavily into play when choosing jobs.
RANDAL: Like when?
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Three months ago I was offered a job up in the hills. A beautiful house with tons of property. It was a simple reshingling job, but I was told that if it was finished within a day, my price would be doubled. Then I realized whose house it was.
DANTE: Whose house was it?
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Dominick Bambino's.
RANDAL: "Babyface" Bambino? The gangster?
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: The same. The money was right, but the risk was too big. I knew who he was, and based on that, I passed the job on to a friend of mine.
DANTE: Based on personal politics.
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: Right. And that week, the Foresci family put a hit on Babyface's house. My friend was shot and killed. He wasn't even finished shingling.
RANDAL: No way!
BLUE-COLLAR MAN: I'm alive because I knew there were risks involved taking on that particular client. My friend wasn't so lucky. You know, any contractor willing to work on that Death Star knew the risks. If they were killed, it was their own fault. A roofer listens to this... **taps his heart** not his wallet.

/s

JustCheeze

Neo Member
As much as reading the salt is popcorn worthy, death threats are not cool. Sure the rep's response was idiotic and poorly worded, but come on - doesn't deserve to be called out to die.

Flame the response specifically, not the person's life.

This is why gamers are looked down on as a joke to humanity.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't even see anything wrong with that statement. "we gave this a lot of thought based on user observation, and will be fine-tuning it in the future. Thanks for your feedback.". Outrageous.

To get that downvoted is a great achievement. He probably feel a real sense of pride and accomplishment.

Proofmaster

Neo Member
I don't even see anything wrong with that statement. "we gave this a lot of thought based on user observation, and will be fine-tuning it in the future. Thanks for your feedback.". Outrageous.

People got angry because they tried to emphasize the "feeling of accomplishment" I have been on Reddit for a long time but never has the community united so much over a game publisher. This amount of downvotes is by far the biggest in history. 2nd place holder has -25k and he literally asked for downvotes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/listofcomments/wiki/downvoted

Typhares

Probably because everyone sees it as PR BS. I mean the math is not that hard to calculate time to unlock etc Nobody needs 40 hours of playtime to unlock one thing to feel a sense of accomplishment.

Also this:
'This is a joke right? When you have the same currency tied to unlocking crates as you do to unlocking heroes. You can swipe your credit card for crates and just save up every single credit to unlock heroes. There is no freaking pride or sense of accomplishment in this.'

Nere

If that is true it might be really unfair to reviewers. Because if for example they give it a better score due to them thinking that no grind is required and then they raise the credit price the revierers will get all the flak because customers will feel deceived from unfair scores. Meanwhile reviewers won't be able to do anything since they can't change their score on metacritic. EA is truly evil.

Lupingosei

Banned
no surprise .... as many developers has said, gamers and the culture is venomous. Its this against that, why this sucks, its mostly negative

This system sucks, it was only created that some small minorty aka whales buy more stuff and kicks the majority aka everbody else in the balls.

Of course people don't like that and the PR spin does not help at all.

Henrar

no surprise .... as many developers has said, gamers and the culture is venomous. Its this against that, why this sucks, its mostly negative
Well, he called people criticising microtransactions in the game "armchair developers". What did he expect knowing that gamers are shit?

Shifty

Letting EA know that their shit sucks is essential, but death threats are way too far.

Fucking armchair sociopaths!

c4b.jpg

lol

filly

Not buying the game is the price they should pay. I will not tolerate anyone implying that death threats are in anyway an exceptable price to pay regardless of the circumstance (with the exception of other life being threatened and even then there are arguably better ways). Fuck off with this. What is this thread even about? Lock this shit.

People aren't stupid they see when they are receiving PR damage control message.

The Community managers need to build themselves a fortress ...... hey they could always use those loot boxes to build it. Joking aside death threats are never a good thing and idiotic to an extreme.

Whilst I do not support death threats or any threat of violence against anyone even the CEO of EA (and he comes across as a right shit bag) I do understand that right now that some in the community feel a certain level of impotency in fighting the Loot Box problem. This is inevitably going to lead to a fringe taking things way too far.

Me personally I will do what I have always done and that is not give EA my money. If you want a gaming industry without Loot boxes then it is pretty obvious what you should do. IF you are not prepared to boycott EA's stuff then you can't be that bothered about Loot crates. There is never any excuse for death threats.

bill0527

There's no excuse for death threats....but in this case, since its EA, I think I'm going to need to see the receipts.

This should not be used as a deflection for the real narrative here.

The real narrative being how EA once again has tried to play their customers for being complete idiots and trying to fleece their wallets after paying $80 for the game.

Word is getting around now that reviewers only had to pay 10,000 credits to unlock the heroes whereas the rest of us have to pay 60,000. That is so shady I don't even know where to begin with the criticism.

tkscz

Never should death threats be used. There is simply no excuse. That said, the fuck is with what the community manager said on reddit? It doesn't deserve death threats but it comes off super sleezey.

Peroroncino

There's no excuse for death threats....but in this case, since its EA, I think I'm going to need to see the receipts.

This should not be used as a deflection for the real narrative here.

The real narrative being how EA once again has tried to play their customers for being complete idiots and trying to fleece their wallets after paying $80 for the game.

Word is getting around now that reviewers only had to pay 10,000 credits to unlock the heroes whereas the rest of us have to pay 60,000. That is so shady I don't even know where to begin with the criticism.

I'm willing to believe it without receipts because the dude kind of fucked up on twitter yesterday by saying this:

and it quickly went downhill, the tweet is now deleted.

wipeout364

I had been looking at this to buy for a while but decided not to supportEA and their shitty practices. I feel so relieved that I did now and that all this drama has gone down. It does give me hope though that the general population is finally getting sick of these practices. It’s hard to tell on GAF because it feel like a specific community but I truly feel that developers are destroying gaming with these loot boxes.

Although the community manager doesn’t deserve death threats he is the internet shit shield for EA so I kind of feel he must have expected a bit of this unless he is totally clueless.

BTHR Zero X

I do not agree with the death threats at all, but he did post a few tweets insulting the users, and then removed them.

He needs to be disciplined by the company that is for sure.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
at the end of the day don't like how the game works then don't buy it.

so with the loot crates, can you unlock everything by playing the game
and not having to spend extra cash?
if so whats the problem? I have been playing it so far and enjoying it
opened up a fair bit and not spent any cash. I get a good amount of kills

Top Bottom