• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA suggests Battlefield 6 will release in 2021

Mista

Banned
battlefield-5-chapter-4-a-1920x1080.jpg

Developer DICE revealed last week that it’s currently working on the final new content update for Battlefield 5, and said on Tuesday that it’s “vision for Star Wars Battlefront II is now complete” with this week’s release of The Battle on Scarif update.

Wrapping up work on those two games means the Sweden-based studio’s increasingly shifting its focus to the next entry in the Battlefield series.

EA CFO Blake Jorgensen said in October 2019 that the Battlefield 6 release date would fall during EA’s fiscal 2022, which runs from April 2021 until March 2022, a launch window that was reiterated on the company’s most recent quarterly earnings call in January.

But the game’s release window was seemingly narrowed to between April and December of calendar year 2021 in a statement issued to VGC on Tuesday.
The team at DICE is working on the standalone Battlefield V update releasing this summer, and continuing their work on delivering Community Games. While the studio’s vision for Star Wars Battlefront II is now complete with this week’s The Battle on Scarif Update, the servers, in-game challenges, recurring events and game support will continue as the game lives on with players and the community. We’re looking forward to hearing players’ stories for both games, for years to come. Longer term, the studio is focused on the future of Battlefield that we’ll be bringing to players in 2021.

Arkam

Good decision. BF needs to rest a bit

They need something. Havent been happy with the series since BF3 (which was awesome). hated the campaign in One. Such boring corridors to slog through. Was like playing a 90s PC shooter but with really pretty visuals.

Maybe, just maybe we can get a god damn NEW theater of combat from a major FPS? No WW1, WW2, Modern Middle east. Find some cool tale about a squad of unsung heroes and lay it on us.

I wish Blizzard didn't drop the whole Starcraft+Battlefield/Battlefront idea. Sounded fucking amazing.

Any rumours about what Battlefield 6 is gonna be about? Any concepts they're focusing on?

I was all for the resurgence of WWII games, as I thought that with the new technology there could be some really well made depictions of the war that would be fun, especially in a Battlefield setting. Battlefield 1 effectively did that with WWI, and I played a ton of that game.

However, it's become clear since then that Battlefield excels when its set in the modern day. Weapon and class progression in Battlefield 4 felt far more comfortable in the context of the game than the guns in Battlefield V. Make another Battlefield 4, and I'll be all over it. As a matter of fact, I just played some Battlefield 4 on my PC a couple days ago, and the game is still a blast to play.

Crysis. CoD MW. You want me to make a list of the loads of games that already run better on PC?

no...

I meant as in on pc atleast, there would be no point in a remaster as the game runs fine/looks great for a 2011 game, it still holds up. Itd have to be a massive visual over haul for it to be worth it, imo.

Obviously games for the most part run better on pc.

Fake

no...

I meant as in on pc atleast, there would be no point in a remaster as the game runs fine/looks great for a 2011 game, it still holds up. Itd have to be a massive visual over haul for it to be worth it, imo.

Obviously games for the most part run better on pc.

'On PC at least'. If you know the process of a good remaster, you'll already have your answer. BF3 runs on a outdated version of Frostbite, so maybe they're losting the opportunity of showing what the engine can really do.
Remasters are very cheap to make in comparison with a sequel. The game assets are already done. You can either promove the franchise and get easy money by doing that. If they will make a sequel of BF5 in the same way the game flop, this could ruin the franchise in some deegre as do happen with Mirror Edge.

Thats why Crytek is remastering Crysis 1, and maybe even Crysis 2 and Crysis 3.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

As someone that has loved BF since 1942, this pleases me. Especially since I had no care in the world to touch BF V, even after absolutely loving BF 1. Here's to hoping when it comes back, it comes back harder than ever.

That Battlefront comment also makes me very happy. I've appreciated the support Battlefront 2 has continued to receive. But man, the next game needs to be even better than the previous two. Especially when some gameplay elements from the originals were better than those, lmao.

'On PC at least'. If you know the process of a good remaster, you'll already have your answer. BF3 runs on a outdated version of Frostbite, so maybe they're losting the opportunity of showing what the engine can really do.
Remasters are very cheap to make in comparison with a sequel. The game assets are already done. You can either promove the franchise and get easy money by doing that. If they will make a sequel of BF5 in the same way the game flop, this could ruin the franchise in some deegre as do happen with Mirror Edge.

Thats why Crytek is remastering Crysis 1, and maybe even Crysis 2 and Crysis 3.

I think we might be miss understanding each other. No big deal.

I agree on the not showing what the engine is capable is of part. If we had modding tools for that game... (hell i might just reinstall it.)

Last edited:

Fake

I think we might be miss understanding each other. No big deal.

I agree on the not showing what the engine is capable is of part. If we had modding tools for that game... (hell i might just reinstall it.)

Using mods for making the game 'better' looking don't save the game of being outdated. Just like Skyrim. And saying 'PC is running fine' don't help either. Current gen player base still huge for them make money.

EA need to hire other dev team for making dual project at the same time, just like Activision is doing. This reduce crunch and give IP more time gap to be done.

You guys know that they just cancelled the rest of BFV after about 1 year, right? No more new maps... they didn’t even make it to the eastern front, no allied invasion, no Italy, no fall of Berlin, nada, they just quit.

Add the random TTK changes after promising not to touch them after the first disastrous TTK update, constant failure to release content on time, and yeah, fuck those guys and their BF6... not even going to bother to mention the BFV launch fiasco.

I used to be a hardcore BF fan boy, but wow, do these guys ever know how to “tank” a franchise and alienate their supporters.

Using mods for making the game 'better' looking don't save the game of being outdated. Just like Skyrim. And saying 'PC is running fine' don't help either. Current gen player base still huge for them make money.

EA need to hire other dev team for making dual project at the same time, just like Activision is doing. This reduce crunch and give IP more time gap to be done.

You've not understanding me... but whatever. its fine.

You guys know that they just cancelled the rest of BFV after about 1 year, right? No more new maps... they didn’t even make it to the eastern front, no allied invasion, no Italy, no fall of Berlin, nada, they just quit.

Add the random TTK changes after promising not to touch them after the first disastrous TTK update, constant failure to release content on time, and yeah, fuck those guys and their BF6... not even going to bother to mention the BFV launch fiasco.

I used to be a hardcore BF fan boy, but wow, do these guys ever know how to “tank” a franchise and alienate their supporters.

They realized they made a huge mistake doing 2 games in a row in ancient garbage boring setting. I still don't get how some talking head be so clueless at EA. A future setting would have shipped 3 times the copies, easily.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yeap. I not.

I guess they learned, but lets hope the lightning don't strikes two times in the same place. They paid the price for insult the fanbase and give a huge gap for CoD.

I would genuinely like to see a developer get burned, and a learn a lesson from this stuff. Normal people aren’t Twitter Blue Checks; we’re willing to forgive and forget, as long as the developer learns from its mistakes.

Fans of the series will buy 6 in droves, if its fantastic and doesn’t agenda-push.

SantaC

I would genuinely like to see a developer get burned, and a learn a lesson from this stuff. Normal people aren’t Twitter Blue Checks; we’re willing to forgive and forget, as long as the developer learns from its mistakes.

Fans of the series will buy 6 in droves, if its fantastic and doesn’t agenda-push.
DICE has been burned dont kid yourself.

The developer is in shambles compared to 10 years ago.

Original DICE is now at Embark Studios.

I agree it’s best to wait, not just due to the pandemic but also the BF5 PR nightmare. Let it keep cooling off and fly under the radar for awhile and then when it’s time to show BF6 don’t insult your fanbase and it should be aces once again

Caffeine

i hope its modern and gritty and a dramatic step up from previous battlefields they kinda been putting out the same game minus setting since 3.
show me what battlefield has never done yet? show me what improvements and ideas u have for frostbyte?

Last edited:
i hope its modern and gritty and a dramatic step up from previous battlefields they kinda been putting out the same game minus setting since 3.
show me what battlefield has never done yet? show me what improvements and ideas u have for frostbyte?

4 was alright tho, especially with the remix of the classic maps — Caspian is the shit... wish it had a resolution patch on consoles, even if it is a hidden try-at-your-one-risk setting.

Arachnid

It's pretty insane BFV ended up selling around half of BF1 (15 mil vs 7.3 mil). It's also kind of sad. BFV actually had the best gunplay and movement in the series. Good framework. Shame about everything else. Hopefully they learn from their mistakes for BF6.

Also, for any dumbass who bought it day one like me (the deluxe edition, no less), don't forget that they had it half off two weeks after launch. Man, I used to love this series.

EDIT: Holy LMAO!

Last edited:
I cringe at world war stories in video games, not just my cup of tea and not part of my upbringing hear stories from world war related. Please go to present day/modern era by modern i am not asking for sci fi weaponry, dear god no. present day weaponry like good old m4a1, just make a god damn sequel to BF4 please, adore the tombstone squad. Irish sacrificed himself so that you can continue the story with hannah, pac, rekker and the rest of the tomb stone squad.

Eimran

Great for the fans but lost interest since the PS360-era.

Never bought another game from them since the woke battlefield and pride and accomplishment-crap with battlefront.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dice's way has always been big warfare, now they compete with the likes of Apex, Call of Duty etc. BF6 will show if Dice can still bring their A-game and restore the franchise.

BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM

That's probably the best shout, shame the previous Vietnam release was just an expansion. Honestly don't want another modern combat Battlefield, seriously we had like 10 years of those so Dice should experiment a little. Either Vietnam, as a good in-between for the time periods/weapons, or something like a sequel to 2142.

Texas Pride

Banned
The series has been going downhill and it's no secret. If they fall flat with BF 6 the series is finished. With so much on the line will they rise to the occasion? Not to be a cynic but if recent past is indicative of the future I highly doubt it. They've lost me until they prove themselves again and this was my favorite series I bought for years without hesitation.

CrysisFreak

Banned
We know since a few months that there will be NO new Battlefield in 2020, only in 2021. And it better be on par with BF4 or BF1. If it's another BFV holy smokes batman that would not be cool.

Top Bottom