• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Survey hints at possible PC subscription service

Got this in my email this morning.

ZjeFDS4.png

There's a ton of pages like this:

WcG5xJj.png

Link to album with all of them: http://imgur.com/a/5mIaM

Faabulous

I'd totally do it. Origin is good enough to support it, so if the price is right I'd totally subscribe to an EA service. And that is coming from someone that has 500+ games on Steam.

EA Access seems so good, and I'm sad I can't get it because I have no Xbox One.

I would sub to something similar on Origin (if the price is the same) so fast!

Korgill

Those options make a hard choice, but i think i prefer option 2. Less publishers, but more games. I don`t mind paying for the expansions if they are good games.

the one thing I hate about EA Access is that you can't continue to play the game even if you have already preordered it on the xbox store. I hope they change that eventually. If it comes out on PC i'd subscribe to that too just for the early access.

Faabulous

Are you willing to pay for a Steam subscription too?

That I don't know. I have most of the games I want of steam already, and the ones I don't I could probbably buy them pretty cheap. But if the price is right, who knows?
EA is different, because I don't usually buy EA games (or ubisoft's, or activision's, last one I got was DA:I), so getting them monthly would be pretty sweet. I like to play FIFA, but I wouldn't buy it at full price.

Jhriad

1 Game or expansion pack added to the subscription a month?

Get outta here. It's PS+ with fewer free games.

Nzyme32

With multiple publishers on board it certainly could be great for some users at the right price or even varied pricing depending on what you want / can get. In that sense I'd say it's not a bad idea at all

For me personally though, I already don't play too many games and don't care much for some of the publishers' catalogues, so I doubt I'd be interested over what I do already. However it is definitely something I'd look at over time and decide whether it is right for me or not.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
It begins.

More power to them, but I wouldn't touch this. I prefer outright ownership to subscription services - hell, it took my father-in-law months to convince me about Netflix. Not big on monthly fees either, and there's no chance that Activision or Take-Two would participate in an EA-led venture.

Makes for good forum fodder, though.

Swarna

This is very, very interesting. If they get the pricing and selection right, it could be big. We'll see if they get to that point.

If this is just about streaming games, lol fuck that.

Chris1

Something isn't adding up here. This subscription would add Ubisoft for the same price of EA Access ($5), which either mean Ubisoft is either adding their games to the vault and not getting a penny back, or EA is willing to half the profit they are on Xbox one. Neither of those options sound very realistic..

I mean, I would subscribe to UbiAccess and hope they do it, but I can't see them joining forces with EA Access, especially for the same price.

Edit: Just noticed it only says $5 a month and nothing about a yearly subscription, maybe that's the catch lol as that would effectively double the price.

Edit2: Actually nvm it can't be that as there's a question in the album about an annual sub.

Faabulous

Something isn't adding up here. This subscription would add Ubisoft for the same price of EA Access ($5), which either mean Ubisoft is either adding their games to the vault and not getting a penny back, or EA is willing to half the profit they are on Xbox one. Neither of those options sound very realistic..

I mean, I would subscribe to UbiAccess and hope they do it, but I can't see them joining forces with EA Access, especially for the same price.

Edit: Just noticed it only says $5 a month and nothing about a yearly subscription, maybe that's the catch lol as that would effectively double the price.

PC is kind of way more competitive at the price space. Prices drop way quicker, so that might be why

Kezen

Banned
EA access on PC basically, I'm not interested but it's a good option to have and I can see why the service is appealing.

OEM

Every company will be pushing subscription based model in the future. As long as its priced well and content is compelling then I am okay with that.

breadtruck

Hmm, subscribe to a monthly fee for a backlog Ill never play, or buy super cheap at sales to get a backlog Ill never play.

Well, this is a tough one for sure.

Alasfree

Some of the games listed make no sense.
Red Dead?
Doom 3 under Activision?
Crash Bandicoot?
Ubi own Baldur's Gate now?
Dragon Age and Dragon Age: Origins?

c0Zm1c

Red Dead Redemption? On PC? It seems like a hoax.

I'm not a fan of subscriptions services so this doesn't interest me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I kinda think of this similarly to PS+ or Xbox Live Games with Gold: I see the value in it for a lot of people, and I think it's a good thing for them. But not really worth it to me, since personally I have a huge backlog that I've paid for + I buy a lot of stuff within a year of release. With PS+, almost all the games released on the PS3 service, I already owned before they got featured. Same with Xbox Live Games with Gold on 360. On the One/PS4, they've been good at getting more new releases, so that's starting to change, but still.

The other thing for me is that EA, Ubisoft, and Activision by and large don't make games I want to play. Would I play some of these games for free? Maybe, probably not. Would I want to subscribe largely to keep access to their games? No way.

Tak3n

Banned
the one thing I hate about EA Access is that you can't continue to play the game even if you have already preordered it on the xbox store. I hope they change that eventually. If it comes out on PC i'd subscribe to that too just for the early access.

They would only allow that is MS made it so you can not cancel a digital pre order, I tried the Fifa 16 early access, hated it so cancelled my digital pre order... EA would see that as a lost sale

The question is, could I still just outright buy a game I want as an option? Don't like the idea of paying a monthly sub then access to those games temporarily dissapearing if I lay off paying for a month or two.

Valnen

Sure, I'd love to buy games that only exist until I stop paying a monthly fee. Who wouldn't?

You're looking at this wrong. It's basically a digital rental service. If you want to own the games forever, naturally you'd actually buy them.

I like the idea of EA Access on PC, but the games aren't really there for me. Adding other publishers like Ubisoft doesn't really improve the offer for me if that's a potential route they are looking at.

The PC climate is very different though. Aggressive discounting and sales are more common. Would people really be interested in a sub fee of $4.99 for access to year old AC and Battlefield titles? Especially without expansions and DLC? No Madden on PC probably hurts the value for a lot of people.

The discount part is the only thing I could see being appealing. 20 to 30 percent off games and expansions / DLC would be why I consider it, but even then I don't buy that many full priced new games anymore. I'm looking at three EA titles over the next six or seven months that I will probably buy pending favorable impressions. That's a lot for me, not just from a single publisher, but for full priced new games in general.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So EA access on PC but with multiple publishers?

Seems like it. Or they're going to expand EA access to multiple publishers on X-box as well?

Either way, I doubt that will happen and it'll just be EA titles on Origin.

Since I only play DICE.se titles from EA now a days (remember when Criterion was making Burnouts? Pepperidge Farm remembers...), I have no reason to subscribe. So, no, EA. Thanks though.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I feel like the future is all about renting off the big companies, while having ownership of nothing.

PC games are so damn cheap I'd rather just buy what I want.

KingV

That type of study is called a conjoint study. Basically,it's a market research technique designed to discover the optimal combination of products and determine how important price is in that equation.

Those screens of picking options are specially designed to be orthogonal and balanced, meaning you see every level of each atteivute an equal number of times and you see each attribute with each other attribute about the same number of times.

Then you use some statistical magic (well, hierarchical Bates modeling) to help analyze it. It's a cool technique.

Top Bottom