• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall 2 below expectations, lots of new content coming, long term franchise

i-understood-that-reference.gif

I laughed way too hard at this. Hooray for meta humor.

From changing the exclusivity deal behind Respawns back for the first game to the horrible release date for the second game, EA has really done a number on Respawn and the Titanfall IP.

Kinda feels like EA only teamed up with them so no other publisher got them. Not that they actually wanted to make a successful partnership.

deoee

it's virtually dead in this part of the world .. trying to find a match on PS4 is next to impossible at times of the day ..and i'm talking morning or primetime, not 2am local

major problem is that you are locked to local servers .. i'll take a bit of lag over nothing anyday ..they should really open that aspect of the game up in matchmaking

Just change your Data Center in the main menu (lower left corner) and you're good to go!

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I played the first level and found it to be pretty pedestrian "shoot the dudes in the rocky place" guff, put it down weeks ago and never really felt the desire to go back.

The firat few levels are like that, but once you get to the 3rd level i think it is, you realise its actualy quite special, it felt from that point each level was different, used a different gimmic or unique level design. You should play abit more at some point.

I'm willing to put Titanfall 2 in my top 10 best FPS campaigns ever. It really is a shame it didn't meet expectations but that's not surprising considering when they released it

Same here. MP as well actually, I've been playing since it launched and still try to get online most days.

Any shooter fan is crazy to miss it.

K.Sabot

Sins of the father imo

Titanfall 1's lack of just about everything threw TF2's chances of success into a bad place already. Releasing when it did... didn't help either.

Titanfall should be a spring summer game, I'm not saying it can't hang with the big boys, but Battlefield is freaking huge and we didn't get the first salvo of dlc maps yet

KodaRuss

I got bored like 1/3 of the way through, haven't gone back. Considering deleting if from the HDD for space.

Will never understand GAF's hype on this one.

I played the first level and found it to be pretty pedestrian "shoot the dudes in the rocky place" guff, put it down weeks ago and never really felt the desire to go back.

Keep playing people. The campaign only lasts about 6-7 hours, it is worth the ride.

I expected better from you Evolved1!

Hope they get to make a third because the game is just awesome.

Head.spawn

Titanfall should be a spring summer game, I'm not saying it can't hang with the big boys, but Battlefield is freaking huge and we didn't get the first salvo of dlc maps yet

For sure. This first game did well there and I honestly have no clue why they decided to lump it within days on both ends, of the best selling series' on consoles.

I'm shocked at how quickly I stopped playing. The original is my most played game this gen. The sequel added an amazing SP, but went ass backwards in MP in many areas imho.

Shame. I bought both BF1 and TF2, and I've barely touched BF1. TF2 is that good.

i actually hard stopped playing bf1 after purchasing tf2. if we're being perfectly honest i kind of regret buying bf1, tf2 is just a way better game than it imo and i don't feel like going back to bf1

Kill3r7

I'm shocked at how quickly I stopped playing. The original is my most played game this gen. The sequel added an amazing SP, but went ass backwards in MP in many areas imho.

Ditto. The MP just isn't as compelling as the first game. Hopefully third time will be the charm. I do worry that by then the FPS market will be crowded with even more titles.

Gator86

100%. The game may be big boy good, but the name recognition/franchise cachet isn't there. It should be released when it gets space to shine.

The real concern is for what EA wants it for. Are they trying to make it big or just throw it out there to thin COD's numbers?

Salz01

Out of all the shit that has a season pass, I would get a season pass for this. Yet it doesn't have one. Irony.

Morts

I loved the campaign, would buy a sequel.

I wonder if EA gave it that shitty release date to try and bleed sales from CoD, even if Titanfall would've done better for itself in the spring.

I got TF2 on day one, couldn't find any matches on PC on launch week and I haven't touched the game since. 😕
Is there a PC audience yet?

it's weird to hear people say they just tried some of the singleplayer and quit. yeah the campaign has been praised, but this is still a multiplayer game first.

Sure as hell better be a long term franchise. Titanfall set the bar for online shooters this generation and was only surpassed by it's own sequel. Titanfall 2 is in the top five best shooters, both campaign and multiplayer wise.

I need more Titanfall in my veins for the next decade, at least.

100%. The game may be big boy good, but the name recognition/franchise cachet isn't there. It should be released when it gets space to shine.

The real concern is for what EA wants it for. Are they trying to make it big or just throw it out there to thin COD's numbers?

Battlefield/Battlefront are big enough now (especially with COD being on the decline) that they don't need to "throw things out there to thin COD's numbers". That being said, with their next game probably being Stig's Star Wars game (I don't know if they're a 2 team studio yet), I don't see Titanfall 3 coming until the next console generation transition (2019/20/21).

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well EA it was kind of your fault releasing it a week later after BF1 and COD.

It was 50/50 between Respawn and EA.

Respawn did their best to turn everyone off with the tech test, then EA made sure no one gave a shit by releasing it between Battlefield and CoD.

Xb1 exclusivity for Titanfall 1 and the batshit bonkers release date for Titanfall 2 just devoured the potential momentum this series could/should have had. Just baffling seeing a game do such monumental things wrong that have nothing to do with the gameplay.

I picked it up for half price on a whim in December after loving Battlefield and this has now been my dominant game. Been recommending it to any friend that will listen, but hard sell when many are already deep in to either COD or BF1.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Xb1 exclusivity for Titanfall 1 and the batshit bonkers release date for Titanfall 2 just devoured the potential momentum this series could/should have had. Just baffling seeing a game do such monumental things wrong that have nothing to do with the gameplay.

I picked it up for half price on a whim in December after loving Battlefield and this has now been my dominant game. Been recommending it to any friend that will listen, but hard sell when many are already deep in to either COD or BF1.

Titanfall 1 sold 7 million copies or so. It did more than fine. It also happens to be the best multiplayer shooter ever made.

Titanfall 2 took the best multiplayer shooter ever and downgraded it while giving it an amazing campaign.

Argonomic

I have studied player drop off over the course of Titanfall 2 campaign. I am very pleased with the percentage of players that make it all the way through the company. It is higher than it was for past campaigns I've worked on.

That said, we can do better. Especially during the earlier missions where players are less committed.

Thanks for the feedback! And thanks for the overall appreciation in this thread.

Titanfall 1 sold 7 million copies or so. It did more than fine. It also happens to be the best multiplayer shooter ever made.

Titanfall 2 took the best multiplayer shooter ever and downgraded it while giving it an amazing campaign.

It did fine on the XB1 but sold zero on the PS4. PS4 owners had to take a chance on a "2" game after the first didn't appear on their console. No way that this was advantageous for prospective PS4 sales.

I really hope the franchise will be OK. I fucking love this game, and I thought I would never say that about a FPS again since COD4: Modern Warfare. But this game far surpasses that for me. I know the numbers didn't meet expectations but I don't want to see a new IP from Respawn unless it incorporates the look and feel of the Titanfall series. The different tacticals, movement system, and change of pace with Titans have made me put in so much time in just the past 2 months(over 170 hours) and I will continue putting in a lot more the rest of the year.

Oh and maybe someday I'll get around to finishing the campaign. I've only played it for about 3 hours. But with all I've learned now I feel like I should be able to breeze through it at the medium difficulty I was playing it at.

I haven't played the game in a couple weeks but it's a joy to play online MP.

Sad to know EA nuked TF2's potential performance, but hey, I'm glad for the free maps/content and support coming down the line.

It did fine on the XB1 but sold zero on the PS4. PS4 owners had to take a chance on a "2" game after the first didn't appear on their console. No way that this was advantageous for prospective PS4 sales.

I've had a couple mates with PS4's who still thought the game was an Xbone exclusive.
I don't think marketing did a good job letting PS owners know the sequel was available to them as well.

A better job was done with ME2 and ME3 for example.

tsundoku

As someone who is still playing the MP and skipped TF1 its probably not growing because the MP came out busted, still has massive bugs and imbalances with some sets, they released a patch before christmas, didn't actually patch any of those balance changes in and then finally put those changes in almost two months later.

It's hard to recommend the game when you can tell the outcome in the first three minutes of a match depending on what the enemy team has, and what the bad members of your team are going to run directly into and feed the enemy team members meter charging.

The matchmaking is also always set up to give you both a basement star 12 yo that has played 50 team based shooters and a 50 year old that has 12 hours to play the game a month. So you're mostly running around trying desperately to stem the tide of points your idiot teammate(s) are feeding to the enemies, while having no points and resources left to you to use your super / titan because your team's cloak shotgun sniper nuke eject tone user is absorbing every kill shot and especially the points from all the ai and the idiots on the enemy team

Are they aware they fucked up with that release date? Please tell me they know it's far from Respawn's fault.

I had heard respawn actually called their shot on the date. They pushed EA hard to go head-to-head with infinity ward and call of duty as a matter of pride, and probably a little of a schoolyard grudge. It seemed like they were positioned well to take the crown from their old studio and this was going to be the boot on the neck.

Seemed like a good plan at the time, but then Battlefield 1 slipped it's date and EA was basically forced to either put it directly in front of Titanfall, or after COD. They chose in front of Titanfall.

Three-way shooter fracas ensued in which Respawn ended up on the losing end. EA's projection (granted, pre-Battlefield delay) was like 9-10 mil. It's currently done significantly less than 4. Pretty disappointing and a definite momentum killer of which all the blame cannot be totally placed on the scheduling, either. They'll probably adjust expectations to something like 7 million for Titanfall 3.

It doesn't seem like anyone at EA is really crying about it given Battlefield outperforming their projections, though.

As someone who is still playing the MP and skipped TF1 its probably not growing because the MP came out busted, still has massive bugs and imbalances with some sets, they released a patch before christmas, didn't actually patch any of those balance changes in and then finally put those changes in almost two months later.

It's hard to recommend the game when you can tell the outcome in the first three minutes of a match depending on what the enemy team has, and what the bad members of your team are going to run directly into and feed the enemy team members meter charging.

The matchmaking is also always set up to give you both a basement star 12 yo that has played 50 team based shooters and a 50 year old that has 12 hours to play the game a month. So you're mostly running around trying desperately to stem the tide of points your idiot teammate(s) are feeding to the enemies, while having no points and resources left to you to use your super / titan because your team's cloak shotgun sniper nuke eject tone user is absorbing every kill shot and especially the points from all the ai and the idiots on the enemy team

I'm pretty sure it's not growing because it never had a chance to grow. And I recommend this game to everyone that likes multiplayer shooters. It's fast and fun.

Top Bottom