• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall is a franchise that'll "be around for a long, long time"

Titanfall as a franchise
Electronic Arts Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen said Tuesday that Respawn Entertainment’s Titanfall is a franchise the publisher sees as having long-term appeal.

“I can’t yet tell you about the extension or digital strategies, but more to come on that,” Jorgensen told an audience at the Stifel Technology, Internet & Media Conference in San Francisco, responding to a question about digital content strategy for Titanfall after its launch. “As you can imagine, this will be a franchise that’s around for a long, long time. I think people will be very excited.”
Leveraging Titanfall, Battlefield, and Star Wars: Battlefront
He also mentioned that despite all technically falling into the same genre, Titanfall, Battlefield and Battlefront all are significantly different from one another in scope and approach; Battlefield centers on realistic, military based 64-player battles, while Titanfall’s smaller 12-player battles and futuristic aesthetic occupy another niche, and Battlefront will heavily leverage the Star Wars franchise.

“All three of those are different, all three of those can coexist in any one year, and we feel like they’re pillars for us going forward in an area where the consumer really wants to have that kind of excitement in a video game,” Jorgensen said.
The 'differences' between Titanfall and BF4 launch
“I think the one thing to remember on Battlefield, Battlefield is an extremely complicated, very big, large, expansive game — 64 players, 60 frames per second, built on a new console that was essentially just coming out,” Jorgensen said. “You tend to have very challenging development on games like that, and we’ve been very focused on making sure that any issues that we’ve had have been patched or repaired, or provided updates.”

Meanwhile, Titanfall is, in many ways, a less complex game, partially because it’s only launching on Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC. That will help with launch issues, he said.

“I’d say Titanfall has had more time on that platform. The team’s very experienced, they’re very experience on building a game and it’s only a single platform game, so that makes it less complicated,” he said. “It also has smaller multiplayer — only 12 players, so that makes it less complicated.”
Via Gamefront

Valnen

I actually hope that's true because of the smaller playercount. The shooter market needs diversity and I think this could be the perfect game to provide that.

image.php

Given the Battlefront comparison, I'll be curious to see if Titanfall ever gets a sort of simple/minimal single-player campaign like that series has (other apt comparisons might be to the SP campaigns from UT99 and Q3A). I hope so.

quaide

Banned
Here is our chance everyone. DON'T BUY THIS GAME. Send EA a message! I predict this game will have issues as bad as Battlefield 4. Don't preorder, don't purchase.

RetroStu

Banned
Put this one next to requiring Origin as 'We all saw it coming'

loljk 40 page thread incoming

Why wouldn't it require origin though when its an EA game?, i don't get why we had that huge thread about it on here.

As for the game, i'm not a huge online player these days (much prefer relaxing on my bed with a good story campaign) but something about this game appeals to me, i think it just looks so much fun.

noobasuar

Banned
No shit. It's a game in the most popular genre created by the people that gave you Cod4. I predict 8 games within this generation!

dugdug

Banned
"It'll be around long enough for us to eventually make it F2P and put ammo behind paywalls. We have *plenty* of time to ruin it!"

Saty

Unless it sells like 300k LTD at which case EA will bench it like they did MOH, Dead Space and Mirror's Edge.

Valnen

Here is our chance everyone. DON'T BUY THIS GAME. Send EA a message! I predict this game will have issues as bad as Battlefield 4. Don't preorder, don't purchase.

Your prediction is probably wrong. But I won't rule out the possibility of it being broken either. Still, everyone needs to buy Battlefront 3 so the franchise doesn't die permanently.

quaide

Banned
Chance to do what?

Send EA a message that we won't put up with their publishing and support of shit games like Simcity and Battlefield.

I personally expect a product to work when I buy it.

Or don't. Buy it. And get what's coming to you. Another half baked non working game.

Shogun1337

Welp, you better know what this means:

1. Ideas and implementations that were originally supposed to be in Titanfall have now been scrapped and waiting for Titanfall 2 (also, it goes without saying that many things that were originally in Titanfall have been scrapped and are waiting to be put in as DLC)

2. Titanfall 2 is already being worked on, should come out one year after Titanfall

HariKari

EA has vision of CoD like numbers for Titanfall. Easy to produce yearly or every two years. How many games did Respawn sign up for? and why EA?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Way better Shooter annualization strategy than COD.

Battlefield
Titanfall
Battlefront

is a sick rotation.

Well then . . . what a big mistake to make it an MS exclusive then.

I guess EA has lost some self-confidence and went with the risk-free money-hat money.

quaide

Banned
Your prediction is probably wrong. But I won't rule out the possibility of it being broken either. Still, everyone needs to buy Battlefront 3 so the franchise doesn't die permanently.

Well they are on a roll. Nothing stops this train. What makes you think they will miraculously publish/support a game that works? Or isn't shit? Or isn't a money grab?

RetroStu

Banned
Welp, you better know what this means:

1. Ideas and implementations that were originally supposed to be in Titanfall have now been scrapped and waiting for Titanfall 2 (also, it goes without saying that many things that were originally in Titanfall have been scrapped and are waiting to be put in as DLC)

2. Titanfall 2 is already being worked on, should come out one year after Titanfall

Its not in EA's interest to make a lesser game, they need the game to blow people away so the demand is there for the sequel.

VeeP

I hope Titanfall is a success and Respawn decides to self publish on future sequels. I really dislike EA.

Chobel

Well then . . . what a big mistake to make it an MS exclusive then.

I guess EA has lost some self-confidence and went with the risk-free money-hat money.

Or MS payed a lot of money...

Yeah, but what makes EA think they're going to be the ones publishing Titanfall 2 and beyond?

Probably because Respawn had done a deal to make multiple games to be published by EA.

Wait did EA pick up publishing rights for the whole series or just the first game? If the latter, then it's kind of weird hearing him talk about the longevity of a franchise he doesn't have rights to

Valnen

Well they are on a roll. Nothing stops this train. What makes you think they will miraculously publish/support a game that works? Or isn't shit? Or isn't a money grab?

First off, all games are a "money grab", this isn't a charity. Second off, whether a game is shit or not is a matter of opinion. Lots of people hated Dead Space 2 for example. I loved it.

What if the game sells moderately well and not what Microsoft or EA wants?
Would Microsoft lock it down just to lock it down?
Or would they let it go just because it didn't meet their expectations?

Top Bottom