• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA: Titanfall is a franchise that'll "be around for a long, long time"

Duster

Are they going to keep the servers on for multiple games in this franchise or will the old ones get turned off once the sequels have been released?

I really wish they'd put a statement out guaranteeing they'll remain live for ___ years, unless they have already and I've missed it.

Luthos

Man I just love when companies harp on about how a game will be a huge franchise before the first game is even out.

Nibiru

Banned
Very few things are capable of living up to tremendous long term hype. The hype this game is getting almost assures it will be a let down.

Hopefully this suggests that Battlefront will have a stronger emphasis on SP and potentially revolve around more interesting game systems and less so with the online component. I honestly wish for DICE to implement those awesome terrestrial to orbital maps that were showcased in that leaked Free Radical footage. Please be focused on the narrative and lore aspects rather than just being a run-of-the-mill generic online shooter Battlefront.

I wish Microsoft would be able the buy respawn and titanfall because I don't trust ea at all.

They can but it's risky the developers could leave all sorts of things can happen but I suppose it's possible since they have a different team making it for xbox 360 they could just migrate over to titanfall 2 - anything is possible.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Gamers that only game on consoles tend to have a certain kind of tunnel vision, I've found. The idea of having a PC to game on kinda escapes their purview.

they might, but Destiny looks like the coolest one of all. We'll see.

It's not even that. The game is on the X360, where the majority of the sales will be. Even on consoles, it's not an X1 exclusive.

Was this in jest? I think the top row will slam the bottom one sales wise.
Unless Activision surprises me this year I am not optimistic for their current franchises.

Skylanders will continue to be huge but having Disney as a competitor is scary.

I see CoD sales declining UNLESS they reinvigorate the series AND get people excited about it again. CoD will face increased competition in the shooter category as well (it won't just be Battlefield any more. It will be TF, Battlefront and maybe even Destiny if it's that good).

WoW is holding up well given last quarter's results but blizzard will need its next big thing soon. Hearthstone will help in the meantime.

Arttemis

Welp, you better know what this means:

1. Ideas and implementations that were originally supposed to be in Titanfall have now been scrapped and waiting for Titanfall 2 (also, it goes without saying that many things that were originally in Titanfall have been scrapped and are waiting to be put in as DLC)

2. Titanfall 2 is already being worked on, should come out one year after Titanfall

Milennia

Im happy about this, very happy.
I cant wait to get my hands on it and just learn all there is to learn about it, like i do with other shooters, as well as use said knowledge and gained skill in the following installments as well.

Glad to hear its going to be well supported in the future.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Welp, you better know what this means:

1. Ideas and implementations that were originally supposed to be in Titanfall have now been scrapped and waiting for Titanfall 2 (also, it goes without saying that many things that were originally in Titanfall have been scrapped and are waiting to be put in as DLC)

2. Titanfall 2 is already being worked on, should come out one year after Titanfall

#1 happens with the vast, vast majority of franchises. #2 is not happening. You think Titanfall will be annual? lol. Bi-annual, sure.

DrZeus

Even with BF4s woes I am still buying it on PS4 when I get one. I have to say kudos to EA for this varied group of shooters. I'm hyped for this rotation which is kinda impressive. Now don't screw it up! :/

Did I miss the part where EA owns Titanfall? I know EA has made some moves that Respawn wasn't fully aware of, but does this IP not still belong to Respawn? If it is wildly successful, would Respawn not be able to look for another pub? This seems to be a lot of bold talk with very little to back it up.

With that said, I hope the game is successful and that Respawn maintains all creagive control, including the frequency of release.

Did I miss the part where EA owns Titanfall? I know EA has made some moves that Respawn wasn't fully aware of, but does this IP not still belong to Respawn? If it is wildly successful, would Respawn not be able to look for another pub? This seems to be a lot of bold talk with very little to back it up.

With that said, I hope the game is successful and that Respawn maintains all creagive control, including the frequency of release.
Respawn owns the IP but EA has the publishing rights for the foreseeable future.

Respawn owns the IP but EA has the publishing rights for the foreseeable future.

False. The deal is one game only. I assume this talk by EA is part of their pitch to Respawn. Vince Zampella seemed visibly annoyed when EA sold the exclusivity to Microsoft. The Adam Boyes of Ubisoft and 2k should schmoozing the shit out of them right about now.

That said, if they can get on the same page with EA I think they would rather not jump ship and have to meet hundreds of new people and figure out how they work. Familiarity is big.

jelly

False. The deal is one game only. I assume this talk by EA is part of their pitch to Respawn. Vince Zampella seemed visibly annoyed when EA sold the exclusivity to Microsoft. The Adam Boyes of Ubisoft and 2k should schmoozing the shit out of them right about now.

That said, if they can get on the same page with EA I think they would rather not jump ship and have to meet hundreds of new people and figure out how they work. Familiarity is big.

What about this?

Respawn is pleased to also announce that it has awarded Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS), through the distinguished EA Partners program, exclusive worldwide publishing and distribution rights to future games. Terms were not disclosed. West and Zampella are represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA).

Link

If that's true then I hope Respawn shops around next time even though I'm sure EA has the biggest dump truck of money.

What about this?

Link
Hmm that's what I thought too.

ClearData

If Titanfall does gangbusters at retail will we really see Titanfall 2 on PS4? I mean, Zampella's assurances are all well and good that we will, but if Microsoft sees that it is moving Xbones and whips out the checkbook... as they say... "Money talks."

My understanding is that Respawn can walk after tf1. Future games could have meant ps3/4 versions of tf1 a year later, or even goty versions for xb/pc at a later date.

I could be wrong, I have been before, but this is my understanding of the deal.

guggnichso

Banned
Who the fuck actually still cares about the media blabla about this game? At this point, the hype machine is so much in overdrive that if this game will not be the second coming of christ or mohammed or Peter North or whomever you believe in, it will be an utter, massive, unprecedented failure.

So well. It can only be an utter massive unprecedented failure. Why are we still talking about this now?

If Titanfall does gangbusters at retail will we really see Titanfall 2 on PS4? I mean, Zampella's assurances are all well and good that we will, but if Microsoft sees that it is moving Xbones and whips out the checkbook... as they say... "Money talks."

I'm not in their head but this is my read on the situation. Respawn is an independent studio and they value that independence above all else. Zampella and West are already ungodly amounts of rich from CoD. Respawn is a labor of love for them.

They wanted a small team so years ago decided to focus on making a next gen xbox and pc shooter. They sold the publishing rights to EA but own the IP. This also allowed EA the rights over other platforms. They hired bluepoint to do the 360 version, who was also going to do the ps4 version but EA decided to take the money from MS to keep it exclusive. Zampella wasn't pleased with this as evidenced on twitter but that was the contract he signed. Plus they are in crunch for launch anyway.

They aren't going to sell the IP. They want to be multiplatform, they just thought their first game with a small team should be more focused. EA has no control to sell anything else to MS. And yes, MS can offer some crazy amount of money but like I said above, they are already rich, and they will be making crazy money multiplat and in charge of themselves... which after Activision I think is very important to them.

ClearData

I'm not in their head but this is my read on the situation. Respawn is an independent studio and they value that independence above all else. Zampella and West are already ungodly amounts of rich from CoD. Respawn is a labor of love for them.

They wanted a small team so years ago decided to focus on making a next gen xbox and pc shooter. They sold the publishing rights to EA but own the IP. This also allowed EA the rights over other platforms. They hired bluepoint to do the 360 version, who was also going to do the ps4 version but EA decided to take the money from MS to keep it exclusive. Zampella wasn't pleased with this as evidenced on twitter but that was the contract he signed. Plus they are in crunch for launch anyway.

They aren't going to sell the IP. They want to be multiplatform, they just thought their first game with a small team should be more focused. EA has no control to sell anything else to MS. And yes, MS can offer some crazy amount of money but like I said above, they are already rich, and they will be making crazy money multiplat and in charge of themselves... which after Activision I think is very important to them.

That actually makes a lot of sense and I hope it shakes out like that with Respawn using the Microsoft money as "start-up" capital to get their name and brand developed and then go multiplatform with the sequel.

I'd like to see this stay Microsoft (not just Xbone people) exclusive. Microsoft has shit tons of money to throw at Respawn and/or EA, and why shouldn't they? If this game is a huge hit, and if they can appease Respawn monetarily, I say do it. Thats not going to make Sony fans happy, but there are many Xbox fans that are upset that Naughty Dog wont go out on their own and make a multi platform game. It is what it is. If everyone is making money, everyone wins.

Top Bottom