• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Will Bring “One of their Bigger Games” To Nintendo Switch

Ogodei

Madden's the one they're still contractually obligated to do, right?

So, there's your one. Is there a Vita version they can port to Switch?

Yikes, that first paragraph is full of misinformation...

Firstly, X2 isn't a thing. It's called Parker, and it's exclusively used in self driving cars. The Switch uses a custom SoC as confirmed by Nvidia, and insiders have indicated that it uses Pascal microarchitecture, which means a 16nm process.

Second, a stock TX1 is much, much more powerful than the Wii U. The GPU runs at 512GFlops while the Wii U's is 178, and this doesn't account for the much more modern tools and architecture which put its real world performance at a minimum of likely 3x more powerful than the Wii U.

Considering that the final product will likely be Pascal (and have 60% lower power consumption than the TX1) it is very reasonable to expect the Switch to run at 512GFlops on battery, and potentially more (768 possibly) in docked mode.

None of this accounts for the CPU which is VASTLY improved over the Wii U. The CPU cores are also likely more powerful than the PS4/XB1 CPU cores (core for core anyway). Either way, the CPU was an enormous bottleneck on the Wii U, and should be one of the bigger strengths of the Switch.

My apologies, I was under the impression that the Wii U is 352 GFLOPS. Either way, the TX1 is closer to the Wii U than the Xbox One. For comparison, the difference between Wii U and TX1 is about 350 GFLOPS and XBox One and TX1 is about 600 GFLOPS.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not up to date on information. When I last looked at this stuff people were still speculating on whether it was going to be using Parker (which people were still calling X2). I've just been going off of how the Shield performs, which was just a bit better than last gen, then adding a bit onto that to account for all of the custom improvements.

Either way, the Switch is not going to be anywhere near Xbox One and PS4 levels like the guy was originally trying to imply.

Xenoblade

It'll be Mirror's Edge...the first one. It will sell like garbage and they will conclude that the Nintendo audience isn't interested in any of their newest games and never release another game on the system again.

Malakai

My apologies, I was under the impression that the Wii U is 352 GFLOPS. Either way, the TX1 is closer to the Wii U than the Xbox One. For comparison, the difference between Wii U and TX1 is about 350 GFLOPS and XBox One and TX1 is about 600 GFLOPS.

Anyway, as I said, I'm not up to date on information. When I last looked at this stuff people were still speculating on whether it was going to be using Parker (which people were still calling X2). I've just been going off of how the Shield performs, which was just a bit better than last gen, then adding a bit onto that to account for all of the custom improvements.

Either way, the Switch is not going to be anywhere near Xbox One and PS4 levels like the guy was originally trying to imply.

You shouldn't compare GFLOPS from different archs....
If you want to use GFLOPS NVidia's Pacal GFLOPs are greater than AMD's GCN GFLOPS on a per GFLOPS basis

Nintendo is using a custom solution based on Pascal from another insider

Again, a noted insider have stated that Switch can receive ports from Xbox One and PS4

Another, insider hinted at the Switch CPU being greater than Xbox One and PS4

I didn't say the Switch was going to anywhere near or not near Xbox One and PS4 computational power. I wrote that the Switch can receive ports from the other platforms.

D_prOdigy

He sounds really pumped.

Hey bud, I can already write your future statement about how the platform isn't in your "immediate plans" because your year-old FIFA port performed "below expectations"

Doesn't sound so convincing. I mean it sounds very much akin to their "unprecedented support". They will test the water with a shoddy couple year old port and that's your lot. When no one buys it they will quietly move away from the platform. All seems very dejavu

18-Volt

But aren't most of the games shown in the reveal all just Wii U ports / Switch remakes? I know they're not supposed to be fully representative of what to expect, but the Splatoon game is supposed to be regular Splatoon redone for Switch, as well as Mario Kart. And then there's Skyrim etc. You can fully expect a lot of launch games to be ports. Especially third party wise because it's something easy to bash out for launch.

But it's Garden Warfare we're talking about here. It can't be compared to the likes of Splatoon or Skyrim. Game itself didn't sell enough on Xbox One/PS4, it would be literally buried under Splatoon. GW2 on Switch would be a suicide release.

These ports is to test to waters, and probably be bigger names than GW. I'm thinking FIFA and Battlefield 1 (or Battlefront, which one is easier to downport to Switch). Madden will probably also come but as Madden 18, it's pretty late for 17 version.

What I really want is Sims 4.

Was the statement about launch or something along the way?

Because I can see FIFA18 for Switch totally being a thing. It comes like half a year from launch, it would be a good reason for many to buy Switch, so it could give a boost for the game sales AND console sales.

And FIFA is not some amazingly beautiful game anyway, so shouldn't be a problem for EA to port it for Switch. Game engine scales really well, even.

And if the FIFA18 is a real thing for Switch, I'll buy it. In a heartbeat.

BiggNife

Like everyone else said, It's gonna be Madden or FIFA. Even the original DS got a (terrible) Madden game at launch.

I would love Titanfall 2 or Mass Effect but I don't see it happening. Porting those games would probably be difficult since we already know the Switch isn't as powerful as a PS4 or a Xbone.

Are you using me as a springboard for a dick joke.

MV30E_f-maxage-0.gif

JoeFu

Banned
I really hope it's Titanfall 2. The game deserves to be a success and if it finds success with the Switch it would be amazing. I'm having so much fun playing it on my PS4 right now... But it's sad to see how little players are online. Out of all the shooters EA has, it seems the most Nintendo honestly. Especially the single player. Oh man it's so good.

18-Volt

Like everyone else said, It's gonna be Madden or FIFA. Even the original DS got a (terrible) Madden game at launch.

I would love Titanfall 2 or Mass Effect but I don't see it happening. Porting those games would probably be difficult since we already know the Switch isn't as powerful as a PS4 or a Xbone.

They say gap between Switch and PS4 isn't as big as the gap between Wii and PS3 and Wii got several downports of PS3/360 (Best one was Modern Warfare 3). If they really want to bring Titanfall 2 or Battlefield 1, they'll do so.

Malakai

Like everyone else said, It's gonna be Madden or FIFA. Even the original [b[DS got a (terrible) Madden game at launch[/b].

Have any Nintendo handheld ever revived a competent and/or good sport game(s) from any developer in the West?

Top Bottom